1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about Hereford...

Discussion in 'Midlands and the North' started by friedaweed, Oct 19, 2017.

1. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Off there f'weekend. Any recomendations?

Apparently we're also going to some 'book town' on a river :hmm:

kazza007 and Pickman's model like this.
  2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Don't fight squadies

friedaweed likes this.
  3. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

the boat house is blue

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

Oh you'll be going to hay on wye. Lots of bookshops and lots of books :)

5. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

pogofish and Puddy_Tat like this.
  6. friedaweed

We will. We're going to be expanding our Observer collection and looking for more New Naturalists. You have to be careful how you say that. :)

Is it any good mucker?

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. friedaweed

8. friedaweed

I'm a book lover not a fighter ;)

sealion and Pickman's model like this.
  9. Pickman's model

I was looking in some rather niche areas and didn't find much: nonetheless I enjoyed looking :) But I think you'll have more success.

10. Pickman's model

Books can be excellent expedient weapons

friedaweed likes this.
  11. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I bought the hat in my profile pic in Hay on Wye. And loads of books.

Nell Gwyn and the Pretenders came from Hereford.

12. friedaweed

Yup. We've looked at a few of the bookshops online stores and were a bit dissapointed in the choice of antique erotica as well but if we can get The Observer's guide to British Folk Music at a reasonable price it will be worth the two nights in the travelodge :) The one I really want is Opera ;)

13. friedaweed

Didn't they tour with Ruddy on the Yurticulated Son's of Haslet Tour?

14. danny la rouge

You know, I debated putting in a comma, but I thought, "no, I'm too pedantic with commas as it is; simple punctuation is best".

marty21 and friedaweed like this.
  15. friedaweed

I'm a bit excited now. :)

It was payday yesterday and it looks like there's more second hand bookshops than you can shake a library card at :) I do rather like it when the Mrs goes mad on the Travelodge winter sales :D

marty21 and danny la rouge like this.
  16. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

friedaweed pop into the Cathedral and go up to the chained library - see the Mappa Mundi as well. theres a pub called the Bunch of Carrots about 1.5km south east of the city on the Wye. properly reccommended. decent gear shop called Trekkit...

couple of nice pubs in Hay, take your pick really - if you fancy a bit of 'country' take the road south of Hay up through the Gospel pass and down to Llanthony Priory in the Black Mountains. theres a decent pub called the Moon and something (massive plates of eggs, gammon and chips for about £8), but theres a pub and hotel in the ruins themselves. top, top place and pretty romantic.

i could spend a week in Hay. if you fancy it, there are a good few providers who will do you a couple of hours or a whole days canoeing trip from Hay, they'll bring you back as well.

17. friedaweed

Cheers mate :thumbs:

kebabking likes this.
  18. kebabking

oh yeah, forgot - the traffic is really horrific in Hereford at the mo, loads of roadworks have turned it into a car park. if you can avoid rush hour you should be ok, but if you're staying in town don't bet on making perfect times.

have a fantastic time.

friedaweed likes this.
  19. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

If you are driving take a trip down to Symonds Yat.
    You can come down to the river Wye from Yat Rock, have a drink in the Saracens Head, then cross the river in the pull along ferry and have a drink in The Ferry Inn on the other side. :)
    My friends live there. It's beautiful

muscovyduck, kebabking and friedaweed like this.
  20. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I thought Symonds Yat was a bit bland. Weird weird campsite bar. The river wye is fantastic to canoe along though.

21. a_chap

a_chap A closed mouth gathers no feet

Hereford town centre's lovely IMO; not yet spoiled by chain stores turning it into a carbon copy of every other town centre. We usually pop over there to do some Christmas shopping each year :)

Get yourself over to Weston's Cider in Much Marcle. Nivce food, excellent cider :thumbs:

But all of Herefordshire is lovely; rolling hills and especially beautiful at this time.

22. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

The Symonds Yat "campsite" is weird.
    But the river, woodland walks and pubs along that stretch are marvellous :)

muscovyduck and kebabking like this.
  23. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Yes autumn is stunning in that area

a_chap likes this.
  24. kebabking

The lane that goes from the Cathedral to the town is full of really nice independent shops, cafes, deli's and jewellers. Bring plastic...

Much like a_chap it's the scene of a lot of our Christmas shopping.

Be sure to pop into Philip Morris in town - he'll sort you out with a proper tweed cap...:thumbs:

muscovyduck, friedaweed and a_chap like this.
  25. friedaweed

15086078827641968477152.jpg

Well Hay was well worth the visit :D

26. danny la rouge

Nice books. What's the 2nd from bottom?

27. friedaweed

Butterflies. 1946 reprint of number 1. New Naturalists £10. Lovely condition for its age.
    The Mrs found that one. 15086226330041559532850.jpg

kebabking and danny la rouge like this.
  28. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Did you rob the local library?

friedaweed and kebabking like this.
  29. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

If you're still there, sunday lunch at the Volunteer - about a ten min walk from the centre, is worth a visit though id probably call them this morning to see if you can get in.

muscovyduck, friedaweed and kebabking like this.
  30. friedaweed

We trucked on back through Shropshire this morning taking in Ardvark Books in Bucknall. So glad we did. Managed to get 10 Observers for £30 and 3 new naturalists for the grand total of £12, two of which are first editions.:cool::D There's no way we would have picked those up in hay on Wye for less than 40 sovs each.

I really liked Herefordshire, it was my first time in that Shire. Beautiful place, gorgeous countryside. The Mrs has been going there for years what with her being a Shropshire Lass but she's always gone with her folks so it was nice for both of us going somewhere where we could just browse.

Friday night we ate at Beefy Boys burger joint in the new complex that has been built because we didn't get there till late and it had been recomended. It was actually really nice. Staff were fab and for a hipster gaff it had great ale and the burgers were ace.

Last night we ended up in a place called The Beer in Hand. Home made pizza and loads of Shroppy and Hereford ale. They even had the old Salopian Lemon Dream which I swear helps me sleep better.

I loved Hay on Wye. The bookshops were a bit pricey and there was little haggling acceptance even though we actually went to spend a fair bit. I could of spent a couple of days there.

Oh yeah we went to Leominster too but it was closed :) We had a fry up in Spoons which was all a bit banjo. Shame really as it looked lovely but there was about 3 shops open.

Thanks for you pointers folks.

Lovely place:thumbs:

muscovyduck, a_chap and kebabking like this.