tell me about eurostar

Discussion in 'transport' started by Pingu, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Pingu

Pingu Credo

I will be in dat der London immediately prior to my next trip to Brussels.

so was thinking of getting the Eurostar to midi rather than flying.

any tips to get a decent seat\cheaper ticket etc?

2. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Try seat 61.com for tips.

Book in advance - you can do this up to 3 months ahead.

Smick, fuck seals and Badgers like this.
  3. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

*cough*

Greebo and marty21 like this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato Lost in paradise

[​IMG]
    Hope you get better soon.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  5. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Good idea. With the trip to the airport, all the security checks, check-in, etc, it's quicker. And it can be cheaper. Eurostar are offering return tickets for from £66 return.

Greebo likes this.
  6. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

It's a marvellous way to travel! Make sure you leave enough time to check in when you book your tickets, Mr me once booked us tickets from Bruges to London via Brussells and left about 15 minutes between getting into Brussells and the Eurostar leaving. Which isn't much time when you've got to get your passport checked twice and to get through the x-ray screening. It's difficult to run for a train when you've had to take your belt off so it doesn't set off the beepers

marty21 and Greebo like this.
  7. _pH_

_pH_ .

Go Standard Premier! I did that coming back from Paris last month, the meal isn't up to much, but they kept bringing me booze, I'd had the equivalent of a whole bottle of red wine by the time we got to St Pancras, I was pissed as a fart. £38 that cost me to travel 300 miles, get fed and get drunk.

UnderAnOpenSky and marty21 like this.
  8. Pingu

Pingu Credo

if only I knew of a travel booker type person...

would have pmed you but you have them turned off...

angusmcfangus likes this.
  9. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

It's a standard pricing structure which they publish on their website- nearer the time or fewer tickets available, more they cost. There are no ways of getting sneaky upgrades, off cycle cheapies etc- they have set up a simple transparent structure and that is that. As Greebo says, book early! 30 minute check in- which is pretty accurate, if you get there 30 mins before the train you're always fine, earlier you are waiting around, later you risk trouser-loss-running issues. St pancreas is a dream, as is Brussels midi- clearly signposted, no faffing, rarely long queues. The only way to do Paris, Lille or Brussels. If you may use it more than once a year sign up for their loyalty card- you have to travel lots to get tier upgrades, but you do get occasional offers, and they remember passport details, meal preference in first etc

The only thing to flag about Belgium is book London to any Belgian station not London to Brussels midi- if you have any Belgian station on the ticket you get a free transfer in the country for 24 hours from the Eurostar- so you can get across the city, go to Antwerp or whatever for no extra cost. Isn't valid on RER, SNCF etc, but still worth having

They do hot waitrose ready meals on the train now- which is slightly random but beats your average train buffet!

Greebo and Quartz like this.
  10. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

's triffic is the 'star. i'm on it at least once a month.

. seat61.com def worth visiting
    . 30 mins before train is the Very Last Moment you should arrive at station
    . Standard Premier is worth it (as above, wine, wahay!)
    . The Undercroft at KXSP for brekkie when leaving London (after metal detectors, back left of area)
    . French departure lounge is shite, *unless* you blag into the exec lounge. this can achieved by clamping phone to your ear & talking to it crossly whilst walking it, turning briefly to smile to the receptionists. i'm batting 3 from 3 on this.
    . London lounge is shit.
    . London > Paris, after Ebbsfleet or Ashford you can take *any* table seat you want.
    . Paris > London as soon as they say "we're off, allons y aux Londres pour beir chaud" you can take any seat you want
    . Buffet car is expensive + also food shit, apart from the Schweinefleisch snacks which are delicious with beer.
    . Fixed price stuff; no deals anywhere really, other than booking in advance. with a bit of tuning, you can get to 50€ or so.
    . Business class is expensive, Lionel Ritchie is this month's guest singer in there.

Cribynkle, Bahnhof Strasse and Greebo like this.
  11. As said, Standard Premier is nearly always worth the extra.

London exec. lounge has an unmanned exit about 15 paces on from the entrance, wait for someone to leave and slip in, turn leftand up the stairs to enjoy the free booze and nibbles. If in Standard Class, go for coach 18 or 17 to Brussels or Paris, you arrive at the front of the station without the gazillion mile walk that the saps in coach 1 will face.

fuck seals likes this.
  12. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Another vote for the Eurostar over the plane, it's a great service.

Wasn't there talk of Deutsche Bahn running services through the tunnel? I'd love to be able to get the train directly to Berlin.

13. It still may happen, but the idea is for DB to go to Brussels and the train split, 1/2 to Amsterdam and 1/2 to Cologne.

But it looks like they'll use the snazzy ones where you can see through the driver's cab :cool:

Greebo likes this.
  14. Pingu

Pingu Credo

cheers.

midi is fine as its traveling for work not pleasure and i can get to where I need to on day one easily from midi - the odds of me using it again is low. it just so happens that this time I will be in London prior to the Belgium stint

15. Greebo

There was, AFAIK it might be available in 2015 or therabouts.

Eurostar may be more cramped in terms of seat width and legroom than the ICE, but it still pisses over cheap airline seats.

16. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

top skills :) Though my only disagreement is that the exec lounge in Gare du Nord is also shit. Gare du Nord is a shithole generally.

And the scammers there seem to be getting more aggressive- I've had quite a few people wearing official looking badges follow me to the metro ticket machines than try and get close enough to nick my wallet by doing the 'oh, that isn't the ticket you want, can I help you' in English while someone else walks closer and closer behind you- I use it regularly, speak French and can see them coming but do wonder how many tourists they 'get'. The good old map thrust in front of your face while someone asks questions and someone else goes through your bag eems to be increasingly popular- especially done by kids, which is a pain as you can't shove them violently out of the way, really....which must be what they count on

Greebo likes this.
  17. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

yeh agree about GDN, it's a proper dive. especially if you're grabbing a smoke outside, for the harassment. i have perfected a French whithering stare which works quite well.

Greebo and Manter like this.
  18. youngian

youngian Well-Known Member

Should have started this year but Siemens have technology problems or something. Eurostar are not very flexible with their tickets and should shake the pricing up when its starts (estimate 2015).

19. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

It was an ace way to travel and that but the carriage was disappointingly brown. Be prepared for that.

Black Halo and Manter like this.
  20. Pingu

Pingu Credo

hmmmm brown you say.

so compared to dark blue and yellow the décor is worse?

I will factor this in

Greebo and lizzieloo like this.
  21. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Brown, see? :(

22. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

It opened on this very day (6th may 1994) apparently, I'm told by someone who has used it that the views are not very good for much of the journey ;)

23. tbtommyb

tbtommyb Well-Known Member

Agree about St Pancras being great, but Midi, really?

24. Greebo

IME not that bad, considering. A fairly short distance to walk, certainly easier than a change at Paris. Again, seat 61 describes the route for both changes.

25. Greebo

The view, or lack of it, is less of a letdown than the early morning business buzzword bingo and sneerily venal attitudes of some passengers.

BTW Pingu if you want to get to the buffet, bear in mind that it's near the middle of the train. Also, if you've got wide shoulders, beware of taking an aisle seat - you'll be swiped by every bugger on their way past.

26. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Oh, it isn't pretty or anything.... But 7 minutes from the furthest train platform to the Eurostar lounge, the train station for onward journeys etc is really easy to use, always taxis available, coffee available 24 hours, few queues (only had to wait more than 5 minutes once) and never had the sort of bag snatching/offers of drugs and sex that can make rail stations so threatening late at night for female travellers. Works for me

Badgers likes this.
  27. Finally direct services to Amsterdam starting 4th April, 3 hours 41 mins.

Sadly the return you have to change in Brussels to get your passport checked, hopefully be able to get passport check in Dam in 2019 then straight back to London :cool::thumbs:

trashpony, A380, Badgers and 3 others like this.
  28. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

As I understand it, it’s just a question of the Dutch and British authorities agreeing on the setup to have passport control carried out at the Dutch end. Probably just a question of ‘who’s paying for it?’ So it should be in place in less than a year I would imagine.

3h 41m direct city centre to city centre beats the shit out of flying, figuratively and probably literally as well. A far more civilised way to travel. Fare prices are key though, but Eurostar has said they’re pricing their tickets to compete with airlines (starting at £35 one way), so fuck yeah! You’d be mad not to IMO.

A380, Badgers and Bahnhof Strasse like this.

29. I’ve done Eurostar from Disney in Paris, they cage off a platform and have immigration bods at the stair, guess they’d need to set up similar at Centraal, as there’s no point in a full on setup with one train a day, but under 4 hours does make it quicker city to city than flying. Can’t wait to give it a go.

A380, Badgers and T & P like this.
  30. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

The service is really great, a fantastic way to travel. But their booking website at the moment is bloody awful. Just booked four tickets to Paris with TGV conections with different outward dates and the same inwrddates and it took three hours including two half hour waits to web chat with someone. I’d buy the tickets through someone else if possible.

Badgers likes this.