Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Team Boris: Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous

Jeff Robinson

Boris Johnson was elected on the promise of mopping up supposed corruption and cronyism at city hall. Apparently the old Etonian, Bullington Club member, mate of Darius Guppy and Conrad Black who was sacked from the tory cabinet for lying about cheating on his wife was the right man for the job.

So the valiant campaign off to a flying start then? Hardly. Johnson’s “forensic audit panel” charged with the task of investigating a number of cases where public money had been misspent turns out to be stuffed with his political allies. Four of the five are known to be heavily involved in conservative politics and only one has any experience in forensic auditing! Brilliant.

Now who are some of Boris’s appointees? I’ve just had a quick dig around to see what shit I could find:

* Advising him on the Mayor’s Fund we have Bob Diamond, the Barclays' investment boss who has an annual bonus of £36 million – obviously the ideal expert for tackling the poverty of inner city youth. :rolleyes:

* Johnson has had meetings with the convicted fraudster and fellow old Etonian Lord Brocket over plans for London’s transport system. The Telegraph report’s that he will be delivering a motivational speech to Team Boris within the next couple of weeks.

* Johnson’s new planning advisor (responsible for housing) – Sir Simon Milton - was a Westminster councilor during the notorious “homes for Votes” scandal of the 1980s in which the tory group of which he was a member who sold off council housing to Tory voters in a successful attempt to retain control of the borough.

This is just the tip of the ice burg. Expect plenty more shit where this came from. Welcome to team Boris – lifestyles of the rich and infamous.

Sources:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article3775093.ece?openComment=true

http://torytroll.blogspot.com/

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/

Kid_Eternity

"You might be a lord but here comes the king."
Good and timely thread, it'll be interesting to see how the various Boris watch blogs develop and whether they'll make headlines with their postings....

Jografer

.... members of his team are "political allies" & are "heavily involved in conservative politics".... f**k me Sherlock..... :rolleyes:

rich!

stalin tache
Anyone want to open a book on when Boris gets sent down?
My money's on him interfering with the Thames Barrier just before a spring tide, flooding Parliament and drowning 80% of both Houses. The remains of government depose him and sentence him for treason, at which point we anarchists adopt him as the finest practitioner of "anarchy by deed" since 1848.

extra dry

Happy to be here
it really is a joke...I would be interested in seeing a major world cities mayors list then you could rate each one as, the good, the bad and the ugly :D

Jeff Robinson

.... members of his team are "political allies" & are "heavily involved in conservative politics".... f**k me Sherlock..... :rolleyes:
The quotes there are not in reference to his political team but members of his appointed 'forensic audit panel'. The task of such a panel should be administrative rather than political and one would expect it to be cross party and comprised of experts in financial auditing.

Handpicking a bunch of inexperienced tories kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing does it not?

spanglechick

High Empress of Dressing Up
and yet keyboard jokey will still defend him, because his cronieism is new cronieism (bugger me but that's a hard word to spell) - no matter how much worse than ken it gets.

as long as he doesn't whack up the congestion charge on landrovers...

citydreams

on the road again
OP said:
* Johnson has had meetings with the convicted fraudster and fellow old Etonian Lord Brocket over plans for London’s transport system. The Telegraph report’s that he will be delivering a motivational speech to Team Boris within the next couple of weeks.
oh. my. gawd
Telegraph Motoring Section said:
..."I was doing slightly more than 80mph and decided to stand up and give a Hitler salute. But I hadn't calculated the force of the wind at that speed and instantly found myself sitting on the rear parcel shelf."

...In fact the autopiloted Cambridge had left the road and gone square into a telegraph pole, which it had snapped off, but not before climbing quite a bit of it. "I opened the door and fell about 12 feet; the chap in the front seat came round to find his head jammed in the glovebox, while the one in the back had rolled under the front bench seat."

And his dream machine? "A BMW Z8, because I love the retro styling. Plus a new Mercedes 500SL AMG and a couple of replica Ferraris: a P3 and a 1959 Testarossa…" It's time to close my notebook. As Charlie Brocket freely admits, he's not exactly the best person to start another car collection.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2004/11/27/emrport27.xml

jæd

Corporate Hooker
Good and timely thread, it'll be interesting to see how the various Boris watch blogs develop and whether they'll make headlines with their postings....
Unlikely, given that most blogs don't have the level of fact-checking you find in quality newspapers....

jæd

Corporate Hooker
lolzah! Have you ever had a call from the newspapers trying to chase up a story?
Yes thanks... It depends on journos, and where they are in the process, and your management of them... Some are crap, some aren't. But relying on blogs for your news stories is like relying Speakers Corner for your political analysis columns... :rolleyes: :cool:

citydreams

on the road again
Yes thanks... It depends on journos, and where they are in the process... Some are crap, some aren't. But relying on blogs for your news stories is like relying Speakers Corner for your political analysis columns... :rolleyes: :cool:
((John Major))

Aye, but a good blog will always drive the interest of the national press.

It is nice to see the Telegraph outing Johnson. I wonder why??

ymu

Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet
Yes thanks... It depends on journos, and where they are in the process, and your management of them... Some are crap, some aren't. But relying on blogs for your news stories is like relying Speakers Corner for your political analysis columns... :rolleyes: :cool:
And for those who don't need to deconstruct the world into simplistic black and white "rules of thumb", it is even possible to read reports and assess their credibility for oneself. Remarkable, I know ...

Jografer

The quotes there are not in reference to his political team but members of his appointed 'forensic audit panel'. The task of such a panel should be administrative rather than political and one would expect it to be cross party and comprised of experts in financial auditing.

Handpicking a bunch of inexperienced tories kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing does it not?
But the model of elected mayors is the US one, where political affiliation is what determines selection for posts down to a pretty low level, and doesn't neccessarily have to take any account of professional or technical ability required to do a job.

This is not to say that I agree, I don't. I think the whole system of an elected mayor is fundamentaly undemocratic. But unfortunately it is how it is, which was my point.

Jeff Robinson

But the model of elected mayors is the US one, where political affiliation is what determines selection for posts down to a pretty low level, and doesn't neccessarily have to take any account of professional or technical ability required to do a job.

This is not to say that I agree, I don't. I think the whole system of an elected mayor is fundamentaly undemocratic. But unfortunately it is how it is, which was my point.
And my point is that Johnson was elected on a commitment to make the position of mayor more accountable to the electorate and yet (surprise, surprise) this pledge has already been exposed as a sick joke.

Obvious I know but worth documenting nonetheless, particularly given Johnson's mayorship is very much a dry run for fellow etonite Cameron's government in waiting.

HackneyE9

Also -

I don't know what this Ray chap is like that he's got to prioritise black schooling, but I've been to his Eastside Academy in West Ham (IDS and Cameron used to visit it) and I found it deeply unpleasant - a proper US-style army boot camp.

Jeff Robinson

I dunno, he'd probably have some innovative ideas - perhaps he'd advocate dismantling and hiding the tube trains, report them stolen and then make a bogus insurance claim on them ;)

Urbanblues

Was that it, life?
What the holy hell could lord Brocket possibly know about the tube?:confused::eek:
I think we're missing the point: "Johnson has had meetings with the convicted fraudster and fellow old Etonian Lord Brocket over plans for London’s transport system."

No mention of public transport.