Team Boris: Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Jeff Robinson, May 10, 2008.

1. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Boris Johnson was elected on the promise of mopping up supposed corruption and cronyism at city hall. Apparently the old Etonian, Bullington Club member, mate of Darius Guppy and Conrad Black who was sacked from the tory cabinet for lying about cheating on his wife was the right man for the job.

So the valiant campaign off to a flying start then? Hardly. Johnson’s “forensic audit panel” charged with the task of investigating a number of cases where public money had been misspent turns out to be stuffed with his political allies. Four of the five are known to be heavily involved in conservative politics and only one has any experience in forensic auditing! Brilliant.

Now who are some of Boris’s appointees? I’ve just had a quick dig around to see what shit I could find:

* Advising him on the Mayor’s Fund we have Bob Diamond, the Barclays' investment boss who has an annual bonus of £36 million – obviously the ideal expert for tackling the poverty of inner city youth. :rolleyes:

* Johnson has had meetings with the convicted fraudster and fellow old Etonian Lord Brocket over plans for London’s transport system. The Telegraph report’s that he will be delivering a motivational speech to Team Boris within the next couple of weeks.

* Johnson’s new planning advisor (responsible for housing) – Sir Simon Milton - was a Westminster councilor during the notorious “homes for Votes” scandal of the 1980s in which the tory group of which he was a member who sold off council housing to Tory voters in a successful attempt to retain control of the borough.

This is just the tip of the ice burg. Expect plenty more shit where this came from. Welcome to team Boris – lifestyles of the rich and infamous.

Sources:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article3775093.ece?openComment=true

http://torytroll.blogspot.com/

http://www.boriswatch.co.uk/

2. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Good and timely thread, it'll be interesting to see how the various Boris watch blogs develop and whether they'll make headlines with their postings....

3. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Anyone want to open a book on when Boris gets sent down?

4. Jografer

Jografer New Member

.... members of his team are "political allies" & are "heavily involved in conservative politics".... f**k me Sherlock..... :rolleyes:

5. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

Stable door this is a horse, horse this is a stable door...

6. rich!

rich! stalin tache

My money's on him interfering with the Thames Barrier just before a spring tide, flooding Parliament and drowning 80% of both Houses. The remains of government depose him and sentence him for treason, at which point we anarchists adopt him as the finest practitioner of "anarchy by deed" since 1848.

7. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

it really is a joke...I would be interested in seeing a major world cities mayors list then you could rate each one as, the good, the bad and the ugly :D

8. brix

brix spinster of this parish

Bojo truly is assembling the most formidable gang of arseholes around him.

9. Jeff Robinson

The quotes there are not in reference to his political team but members of his appointed 'forensic audit panel'. The task of such a panel should be administrative rather than political and one would expect it to be cross party and comprised of experts in financial auditing.

Handpicking a bunch of inexperienced tories kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing does it not?

10. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

and yet keyboard jokey will still defend him, because his cronieism is new cronieism (bugger me but that's a hard word to spell) - no matter how much worse than ken it gets.

as long as he doesn't whack up the congestion charge on landrovers...

11. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

oh. my. gawd
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2004/11/27/emrport27.xml

12. KeyboardJockey

KeyboardJockey Clowns to the Left of me

I have reservations about some of Boris's team but the situation re cronyism was equally as bad as under KL.

13. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

fuckinell - i wrote the script!:cool:

14. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Unlikely, given that most blogs don't have the level of fact-checking you find in quality newspapers....

15. citydreams

lolzah! Have you ever had a call from the newspapers trying to chase up a story?

16. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Yes thanks... It depends on journos, and where they are in the process, and your management of them... Some are crap, some aren't. But relying on blogs for your news stories is like relying Speakers Corner for your political analysis columns... :rolleyes: :cool:

17. citydreams

((John Major))

Aye, but a good blog will always drive the interest of the national press.

It is nice to see the Telegraph outing Johnson. I wonder why??

18. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Go on Boris, try and privatise the tube. Let the games begin.

19. Jeff Robinson

20. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

21. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

And for those who don't need to deconstruct the world into simplistic black and white "rules of thumb", it is even possible to read reports and assess their credibility for oneself. Remarkable, I know ...

22. Jografer

Jografer New Member

But the model of elected mayors is the US one, where political affiliation is what determines selection for posts down to a pretty low level, and doesn't neccessarily have to take any account of professional or technical ability required to do a job.

This is not to say that I agree, I don't. I think the whole system of an elected mayor is fundamentaly undemocratic. But unfortunately it is how it is, which was my point.

23. Jeff Robinson

And my point is that Johnson was elected on a commitment to make the position of mayor more accountable to the electorate and yet (surprise, surprise) this pledge has already been exposed as a sick joke.

Obvious I know but worth documenting nonetheless, particularly given Johnson's mayorship is very much a dry run for fellow etonite Cameron's government in waiting.

24. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Active Member

Also -

I don't know what this Ray chap is like that he's got to prioritise black schooling, but I've been to his Eastside Academy in West Ham (IDS and Cameron used to visit it) and I found it deeply unpleasant - a proper US-style army boot camp.

25. miss giggles

miss giggles an unknown quantity...

What the holy hell could lord Brocket possibly know about the tube?:confused::eek:

26. Jeff Robinson

I dunno, he'd probably have some innovative ideas - perhaps he'd advocate dismantling and hiding the tube trains, report them stolen and then make a bogus insurance claim on them ;)

27. Urbanblues

Urbanblues Was that it, life?

I think we're missing the point: "Johnson has had meetings with the convicted fraudster and fellow old Etonian Lord Brocket over plans for London’s transport system."

No mention of public transport.

28. citydreams

He's turned over a new leaf, don't you know. As evidence of his reformed character Lord B. was cast as a policeman in smash hit comedy "Clubbing to Death"

29. Jeff Robinson

30. Gixxer1000

Gixxer1000 cant wheelie a shaftie :(

Yeah i thought that Kiley fella should have stayed on:rolleyes: