TDF 2018

Discussion in 'general sports' started by beesonthewhatnow, Jul 1, 2018.

1. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

One week to go, plenty to talk about already, but one rather obvious starting point given the events of today...

Will he? Should he?

(Yes/yes IMHO...)

Badgers likes this.
  2. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Slightly thawing on my lack of favour of Froome following the Giro, but to deny him the start would be ridiculous.

He's still a twat. And he still wins Grand Tours because of the embarassment of riches he has supporting him. But he should absolutely start the tour.

The dicking around the authorities have been doing to keep this still open is the real calamity.:facepalm:

eta: Absolutely loving the parcours this year. Real shaker-uppers amongst them (though I think the 65km stage is a gimmick too far and will be pretty dry)

eta2: OPQS (with their wolfpack silliness) are going to be going for all non-mountain goat stage wins. Hopefully that animates things too :thumbs:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Badgers and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  3. beesonthewhatnow

Froome aside, The day I’m really looking forward to is stage 17. It’s going to be mental. Only 65km and, well, look at it :eek:

3E022567-F32A-4906-BEAE-CC4DD137A107.jpeg

Fez909 and Badgers like this.
  4. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

The shit certainly hit the fan last night. The initial report given to me said he was banned, later reports and this morning say they want to ban him.
    I gather it's all live on itv4 this year, as opposed to bits of live stuff and highlights :thumbs:

Badgers likes this.
  5. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

I hope he starts and has piss flung on him. Chaque jour.

6. Ted Striker

Giant inhalers (a la Giro) following him up every climb will do for me :thumbs:

Badgers and beesonthewhatnow like this.
  7. beesonthewhatnow

I hope he wins. It will piss the French off if nothing else.

a_chap, 1927, Badgers and 2 others like this.
  8. beesonthewhatnow

Yeah, that was genuinely funny. Whereas what I think may happen is rather horrible.

1927 and Badgers like this.
  9. Ted Striker

Badgers likes this.
  10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I heard it was case closed. Well that's hardly conclusive is it. Neither guilty or innocent. :rolleyes:

Correction, the UCI said "there has been no breach"!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Badgers likes this.
  11. beesonthewhatnow

It’s case closed. He was innocent. End of.

a_chap, weepiper and Hollis like this.
  12. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

This is really bad news, not because Froome got off but because it probably just got harder to do anyone for using a substance that is permitted below certain thresholds. Salbutamol may as well be completely legal now, the question is to what extent thresholds can be enforced when it comes to other drugs.

The Kreuziger case has already it seems undermined the biopassport.

Ted Striker likes this.
  13. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

To be honest I still don't understand what advantage cyclists get from using it if they aren't asthmatic. Is it a cover for something else?

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I would guess it helps them breath better and get more oxygen into the blood.
    Aren't Sky on record as saying the press reports about the levels inaccurate. Press reports state he was twice the legal limit whereas sky say it was marginal!

ITV coverage and reports; it's all live.

tommers likes this.
  15. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Yeah. Brailsford yesterday was saying 19% not double.

16. strung out

strung out (",)

Apparently it was double the limit, but only 19% over when adjusted for dehydration.

tommers and hash tag like this.
  17. beesonthewhatnow

19% over when adjusted for dehydration due to having ridden up a mountain in the Spanish sunshine.

He’s clean. Not that the haters are ever going to accept that.

18. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

It's anabolic and is gone out of your system in 6 hours.

19. Ted Striker

This. He's such a perfectionist dull twat the idea of him cheating is, honestly, inconceivable. Sadly.

twistedAM likes this.
  20. sleaterkinney

I don't, you don't have the transformation he's had clean.

21. beesonthewhatnow

No, you get it by riding for a team that can have multiple GC contenders riding as domestiques.

22. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

He got thrown out of the Giro for hanging on to a police motorbike, has been fined (multiple times) for taking musettes outside feed zones and jogged up Ventoux. All cheating.

Fez909 likes this.
  23. sleaterkinney

No, he was still a domestique when he transformed himself, 85th on the tour of Poland to second in the vuelta a few weeks later.

But ask yourself, are the likes of contador, valverde clean?. And he is beating them clean?

24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Some fans are deluded. You can't convince them.

My mate actually blocked me on Facebook for daring to suggest Armstrong was a cheat. The admission came not long after :facepalm:

25. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I'm hoping Froome gets knocked off his bike and has to retire and Geraint Thomas gets promoted to leader and wins the tour. I'd also like to see Adam Yates do well again but I think he has a long career ahead of him so he doesn't really need to win it yet.

No Thomas Voeckler this year though. :(

26. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

He’s a professional athlete, a professional cyclist, a professional cyclist who wins races, the most successful Grand Tour cyclist of his generation and he was dogshit until halfway through his career. Vouching for anyone who ticks even one of those boxes is as good a definition of insanity as I can think of unless you are actually married to them.

(Also “adjusted for dehydration” my bollocks.)

What’s happened here is that in seeking to protect Froome’s right to massively load up on a specified substance, Sky’s money and lawyers have undermined anti-drug enforcement across sports. Anyone who welcomes that is an idiot.

27. Ted Striker

Also, just been plotting the dates in my calendar, its a real shithouse scheduling for the weekends. First is 2 sprint stages (necessary as Grand Depart ofc), but second weekend is a sprint stage and the Roubaix stage (ok, not bad)...3rd weekend is rouler stage with a final kick on Sat and a single Cat 1 on the Sunday. Last weekend is the 31km itt and Champs procession.

All the decent stages are buried in the week! Sprinters have no business showing their face after the first weekend and before Paris!

28. beesonthewhatnow

“Massively load up on a specified substance”

I think you need to read up on the pharmacology of the substance in question.

29. Ted Striker

Chris(t) on a bike...Going full C3P0 up Ventoux wasn't cheating, it was survival!

For the record, the fact he claims to be British yet fails to see it as his duty to pay taxes here is the next thing (I'll admit to) as to why I can't support him. This is genuinely not just because he's Chris Froome, I'm pretty gobsmacked that it's tolerated at all tbh, but it's a different subject altogether...

30. Ted Striker

"As it goes, it turns out our tests that we've relied on for all these years....are bullshit. Conveniently Sky prepared a 150 page document telling us so..."

Again, this all makes more sense that him tugging a few cheeky extra puffs with the army of advisors and docs around him, but still makes everyone look shit.