Tax credits: What are working hours?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by xenon, Aug 8, 2018.

1. xenon

xenon Sacred moche hat combat

A standard working week is often said to be 40 hours. Or 37.5. To receive TC yu have to work at least 16 hours. Which to me is 2 days. Or actually only 15 hours, pro rata. :confused: Which is it.

Basically if you work 2 days a week, 9 - 5 is that 16 hours for the purposes of TC?

2. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

I would've thought it would depend on whether your lunch break is paid or unpaid - if unpaid then a 9-5 job could only be 7 hrs (if 1 hr break) or 7.5 hrs (if a 30 min break)

I currently "work" a 37.5hr week, but my hours are 8-4 (with a half hour unpaid lunch break)

3. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

When I worked two days a week in order to get WTC and CTC as a single parent I worked 8.30-5.30 with an unpaid hour lunch break.

4. xenon

I work 9 - 5. I get an hour for lunch or presume I still do, - did before. My latest contract letter states only 15 hours. Doesn't go into detail re lunch paid / half paid... This could be a right PITA. May have to cancel TC claim. Employer can't offer me more hours / another day. Fucksake :(

5. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

My understanding is it just needs to be 16 hours, it doesn’t matter how that 16 hours is made up. You could be doing 4 hours a day over 4 days or two days of 8 hours etc etc.

6. sheothebudworths

sheothebudworths Up the bum - no babies!!!

Yes, it's just *paid* hours.

purenarcotic likes this.
  7. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

If you're working 9-5 for two days and your contact states you work 15 hours - then you're on a half hour unpaid lunchbreak

8. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

If your contract says 15 hours that may be an issue. Can they give you one extra hour to push you up to the 16?

9. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

16 hours for a parent (of a young or school-age child) or disabled person, 30 hours for everyone else.

There are ways around the typical 15 hour shit that you get offered.

10. sheothebudworths

That's shitty - could they not see their way to an extra half hour a day even, if you explain how big a difference that makes to you financially? The alternative is a second job but obvs tricky to find something which just offers the necessary hour :(

11. xenon

Yeah I'll raise this with my manager. I should probably speak to TC to freeze / suspend my claim in the mean time. I just filled in the renual recently but that was before seeing this letter.

12. xenon

Hard enough getting one job when you're disabled, 2 might be pushing it. :D :facepalm: :D

sheothebudworths likes this.
  13. sheothebudworths

Well, quite.
    I hope they're sympathetic - 15 hours is so close and perhaps they'll find a way around it - but I know that depends on having remotely decent employers, which is often not what we end up with!

xenon likes this.