1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tate Modern extension

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ska invita, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael circling Airstrip One

The redbrick Tate Extension is an improvement over the Crystal Maze monstrosity that preceded it, but it still has the tedious "post-modern" trademarks of wonky lines and ahistoricism. OOH, we can't draw straight, and our design is meaningless, aren't we avant garde!

The museum should simply build an art deco continuation of the original power station design and have done with it, but that would of course be far to sensible and wouldn't fluff any egos.

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's got no subtlety. It looks like (and probably is) something very quickly modelled in 3d studio (two squares connected, one rotated) with random stripes cut out of it. It's got no sense of scale. It would make just as much 'sense' tipped on its side or upside down. It's a completely meaningless, context-free 'form' that, today ladies and gentlemen before your very eyes' is an art gallery.

3. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Having worked with 3d studio and seen quite a few studios in my time I can say this was probably done like you say

maybe if they got rid of the twists and just had it leaning, lowered to the height of the main building it would work better. I just want it to fit in with the dystopian future, its what Philip K dick would of wanted

4. Azrael

That's my big problem with all these post-modern monstrosities slapped on the side of existing buildings. They range from hideous to inoffensive, but they show total contempt for the original structure.

That Eurostar shed they bolted on the end of St Pancras is the latest example. It falls into the inoffensive camp, but it's just a big glass box that does nothing to reflect the station or its history. Me, I'd have extended the shed in the original style and taken out the dividing wall (if I could have persuaded English Heritage): bold, but in keeping with the spirit of William Henry Barlow and George Gilbert Scott.

I suspect that architects want to stamp their mark & ego all over structures, instead of acting as custodians & taking pleasure in doing a good job.

Architects should serve buildings, not vice versa!

5. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

[​IMG]

Interior photo-ed August last year (not by me unfortunately). I think the chimneys will fall apart...however, they will do their best to make sure it doesn't collapse. The main structure looks fairly sturdy.

6. Azrael

:cool: photo! They should definitely preserve ye olde antique power gauges.

I thought the chimneys were being replaced with concrete imitations? Or has that scheme fallen through as well, if you'll pardon the phrase.

7. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

more pics here

I thought they are replacing the chimneys but that would be a little pointless if the rest of the structure is crumbling.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Something annoying about the extension is that the new members' room isn't very well designed. When you're sitting down you can't see out of the windows! :facepalm:

10. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

if you stand up however, you can peer into the flash residences next door (£43,000 pa service charge per flat) and see them watching telly in their underdogs.

11. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

not-bono-ever and Schmetterling like this.