1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tate Modern extension

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by ska invita, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Not sure if this isnt definitely going ahead, but here's the planned extension to tate modern:

[​IMG]

bearing in mind they had already approved this one, it'll probably go ahead:
    [​IMG]

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's fucking hideous, just like the last one

3. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Yep but the latest is ever so slightly less hideous

4. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

yeh, it at least resonates a bit more with the existing building, if nothing else

5. ska invita

that was my first impression. did a walk round southbank over christmas and i remember thinking that building made out of brick look so much better than all the modern glass and steel shit - even a drab office block made of red brick looks okay. As a result Im thinking that it may not be as bad as I expect!:hmm:

At least they've thought about the buildings its next to. Nothing has wound me up so much as the peice of shit they've allowed to be built opposite from the tower of london 0- some glass and steel waste of space - completely out of odds with the surrounding buildings. Trying to find a pic of it, but cant at the mo - will try again in a bit.:mad:

6. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

trouble is, it kind of jars with my OCD tendencies. There's something pleasing about the symmetry of the existing building, the planting around it and the bridge emerging dead centre. An extension off to one side will fuck with the grandeur of it somehow

7. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

The style immediately reminded me of something. I couldn't quite place it for a moment, then I remembered the brick multi-storey car park (since pulled down) in Folkestone, the beloved town of my youth. I couldn't find a picture of that one, so here's a picture of another car park that will soon be pulled down:
    [​IMG]

Still, it is a bit better than the modish glass boxes of the previous design.

8. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

But....neither of those look like either of these :confused::confused:

9. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I'm probably in a minority but this is really a bit of a cop out. They really should have had some new iconic building to start off with. I don't really feel the power station was such and should have been pulled down. Battersea is the one that should be preserved. Adding something new and bold after the main event seems a bit of a let down.

10. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

More London?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not the hugest fan of it - it's not Norman Foster's finest hour, but the surrounding buildings aren't staggeringly good either. Immediately adjacent upstream is the dull 1980s Southwark Crown Court in brown brick. Tower Bridge on the other side, while great fun, was itself hardly a triumph of building in context. It bears only the flimsiest of architectural relationships to the Tower of London by virtue of borrowing a style from 'some time in the past' (incongruously grafted on to some amazing Victorian engineering). It's completely daft. :)

Like a lot of London, the rest of the buildings in the surrounding area are a stylistic mish-mash of different periods and materials.

I work round the corner and the public spaces of More London round The Scoop with the fountains next door (kids love playing in it) and the recently re-landscaped Potters Field park next door get very well used and enjoyed, especially in the summer. The route up from Tooley Street, with its artificial stream, oriented to provide a view of Tower Bridge is actually a pleasure to use every day even with the building works.

On more than a few levels it's quite successful.

11. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

It's probably a bit of a stretch, and maybe only works in my head, but I was thinking of concrete ziggurats with brick facades. And I really don't think this building is a huge improvement on a lot of those kinds of buildings from the 60s/70s.

I'm assuming this building is brick facade rather than a brick structure. I've rarely seen a brick facade that has anywhere near the elegance and beauty of a genuine brick building - not sure why, but there it is.

12. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Apparently they considered using Battersea Power Station for Tate Modern:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2000/sep/01/netnotes.jondennis

13. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

This. I also quite liked that small square at the west end of the building. This looks like it obliterates it.

Was there not a considerable amount of space at the back of the building - In that hedged-off area?

14. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I don't like it seeming to tower over the original building but it is certainly better than the glass one.

I quite like that pic of the car park...

:oops:

15. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

I'm not sure if it's where you mean but the extension is to be built to the rear of the present building:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/transformingtm/site.shtm

16. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Ah, well, I don't mind it being at the back.

17. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Agreed...the building itself is a piece of art right now. The extension is...I dunno first of all it's too high....nothing should go above the existing roof line let alone near the height of the tower. The actual design I don't particualrly like either they've fallen into the usual "it has to make a statement" and "iconic building" :hmm::rolleyes: trap rather than how it affects the existing surroundings.

I know they want more space to show more of their collection and that's great for all but part of me wishes it wasn't connected to the existing building but was a stand alone piece connected by an underground walkway or similar. Then both buildings could occupy their own spaces without unduly impacting the other.

18. ska invita

So many people have tried and failed to do something with Battersea I wonder if it will ever happen. IT reallly is collapsing at the moment.

DId you know that the guy who designed the tate power station (Bankside Power Station) was a guy called Scott who also designed Battersea PS and the red phone box! (and liverpool cathedral)

Sorry Iwasnt clear - sure the whole area in your picture is a mish mash, but if you come out of the tower of london and walk towards tower bridge its all stone buildings - even that army barrack style thistel hotel (now owned by someone else), although often voted the ugliest building in London at least doesnt detract from the Tower of London. But on Tower bRidge Approach on the north side of the river there's a new glass and steel hell hole thats completely out of place with the rest of the buildings in the neat vicinity.

If you get the gig to build a building opposite the tower of london, as important a building in this country as any, you should show some respect, I think.

heres a pic of the thistle hotel (now owned by Guoman it turns out). THe picture doesnt do it credit - the window are pretty cool in a national theatre kind of way, and it doesnt disturb the view from the tower bridge side. This view is from the east side
    [​IMG]

19. Crispy

Battersea will not happen in the current economic climate, and the building will collapse. That's my prediction.

20. ska invita

Heres a pic of the thistle hotel, to the left of the tower of london. at least it doesnt detract

[​IMG]

21. ska invita

last few times i went past it had scaffolding holding it together - even more scaffolding than usual.

anyone know who owns the land battersea ps stands on? is it the council?

22. Crispy

A developer currently owns it, and they're not the first. It keeps getting sold on but never developed. Because, basically, the sums don't add up. To keep the power station you have to spend a fortune restoring it. To afford that, you need a massive return on the development. To achieve that, you need a very dense development. To achieve that, you need to greatly improve the transport infrastructure (either realigning train lines/stations or a tube extension or a tram or something). Which adds further cost. Nobody has ever got the billions together that would be needed.

So, while the power station stands, the site will never be developed. Therefore, it will collapse (or rather be demolished, which would be safer) before anything else happens on that land, because there's nobody with spare billions to throw around for the foreseeable.

23. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Thanks - That makes it a lot clearer. It will abut on the right of the square I was thinking of.

24. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Ah, are talking about Richard Rogers' Tower Bridge House in the north east corner of St. Katharine Docks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It replaced a mid 1960s building named Europa House which you can just see on the left of the old Warehouse C in this picture from 1975 (which itself was replaced by the current Commodity Quay building ten years later).

[​IMG]

I have a bit of a personal connection with St. Katharine's as my uncle was company architect for St. Katharine by the Tower Ltd for fifteen years or so. I worked there over the summer of 1985 before I went to university.

25. George & Bill

George & Bill Well-Known Member

Wrong. The old one was hideous, the new one is fairly attractive.

26. Cowley

Cowley Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus that's a fuckin monstrosity :hmm:

27. Crispy

Wrong, the old one was like being trapped in a never-ending bad acid trip from hell with no connection to the world of sane.

The new one is merely an abomination against brick

28. George & Bill

George & Bill Well-Known Member

I just can't see what's offensive about it.

29. Crispy

It's ugly. It uses brick in a dishonest fashion. It makes no attempt to relate to the existing building. It's too tall. It makes bad use of the site.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...7163,-0.099199&spn=0.002227,0.005971&t=k&z=18

This sits on the odd diamond shape to the west. What they Should do, imo, is Build up the other side of the turbine hall. Doesn't have to be symetrical, but I think an actual extension of the existing building would be better, opposed to a standalone look-at-me thing

30. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I think its pretty sympathetic to the art-deco style of the Tate, bricks have an earthy quality, no fetishistic glass all over it and I like how the light comes through the skin of the building. and like all good sci-fi it has its roots in previous styles reminded me of Blade runner actually

[​IMG]