Tanks for the Memories

Discussion in 'transport' started by Idris2002, Feb 13, 2017.

1. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Fuckit I just spent half an hour cruising through photos of Action Man Scorpions before getting distracted by all the other stuff :mad:

Anyway...

SCORPION.jpg

More here

2. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

The Soviets, and successor regimes, lost an incredible number of APCs in Afghanistan.

The carcasses aren’t much use to anyone as they’re too difficult to move or cut up, so they litter the countryside.

They’re handy as building blocks to replace the foundations of blown bridges.

Pics from ’02, shitty quality I’m afraid.

scan0041 (2).jpg

scan0022 (8).jpg

coley, Kaka Tim, A380 and 3 others like this.
  3. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Only the other day I discovered a Wiki article about a weird experimental Nazi 'ball' tank. Apparently nobody quite knows how it was meant to work, or the point of it in the first place

Kugelpanzer - Wikipedia

A380 likes this.
  4. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

5. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Those aren't tanks. They're self propelled artillery . There's a major difference . Which you'd immediately notice if you foolishly attempted to take on another tank with a self propelled artillery piece .

A380 likes this.
  6. Casually Red

rebels in Ukraine took this one off a commemorative plinth and got it working again after 60 odd years .

Duncan2 and Purdie like this.
  7. Casually Red

A tank will make short work of a self propelled gun though . It's not designed for fighting . Merely blowing stuff up from a distance away.

A380 and dylanredefined like this.
  8. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

NVA tank rolling through the gates of the Presidential Palace in Saigon:

[​IMG]

Idris2002 likes this.
  9. Casually Red

Erm..quite interesting you should say that. I had a minor disagreement with those bastards some years back . Wouldn't call it a feud but...I was waiting for the then ms red outside a coffee house off grafton st one sunny afternoon, quietly trying to pick a few winners in the paper while slowly raising my doble espresso to my mouth..and that fucking thing just whizzed past out of nowhere . All the bastards on it were wearing Viking helmets and the tour guide was encouraging them to do Viking roars ...just as it passed me . They were barely 2 foot away and scared the shite out of me . Fuckers in Viking helmets roaring in my face that weren't there a millisecond earlier .

Coffee went everywhere , all over my freshly ironed and creased white shirt, my nice slacks, my Irish times racing pages . Some of the bastards I could clearly see pointing back at me laughing . A few minutes later my lady friend arrived, sparkling and fragrant as usual . And I. Sitting there like a very distressed , fuming tramp . Blinded by love obviously ,she convinced both of us there was no need to trek back to malahide for a change of clothes. Nobody would notice . They all fucking did . People wondered why she was with a ruffian like me at the best of times , and there's me all coffee stains , and people murmuring, and me getting sulkier and grumpier by the moment . Among the Dublin poshos and smartasses . Fuming, cursing them . Utter bastards.
    Evening ruined .

A few years later I was among a group of " exuberant " shall we say..chaps who exited the players lounge and headed uptown for somewhere swankier . And lo and behold who came round the corner and did their fucking Viking roar again . Luckily for them we only had plastic pint glasses .

I saw in the paper one day the fucking thing sank in the Liffey . And laughed . Still haven't let it go . Am unlikely to ever, tbf .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    coley, A380 and dylanredefined like this.
  10. Casually Red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old centurion, rolling through the bogside in Derry early 70s . Unlikely to encounter anything sturdier than a Hillman imp or a 9 year old on a tomohawk but you can't be too careful I suppose .

Kaka Tim and A380 like this.
  11. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

I do hope they warmed that gun barrel up a bit for the woman sitting on it...or have I just outed myself as an unreasonably practical middle aged bloke? :)

12. Idris2002

Idris2002 perkins saved by moscow gold

A fascinating bit of the story I hadn't heard before - thanks for that.

13. Idris2002

14. Idris2002

[​IMG]

15. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

I also saw lots of tank tracks laid across roads in towns and villages on main routes, to act as speedbumps.

Idris2002 likes this.
  16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

And to think a lot of these ^^^^ had "Little Willie" as an ancestor ...

[​IMG]
    btm - little willie
    par StoneRoad2013, on Ipernity

Although I don't think I took an image, Bovington have a replica of the timber precursor tucked away in the museum.

A380, Idris2002 and spitfire like this.
  17. bimble

bimble noisy but small

The DM has a story in it today about 'Britains Forgotten Revolution" of 1919. :eek:
    Lots of interesting pictures including

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 14.43.36.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 14.44.10.png

Casually Red, A380 and not-bono-ever like this.
  18. Idris2002

DM equals Daily Mail I take it, bimble? Seems a bit of an odd editorial choice for that paper, though I suppose it's rich in lefty-baiting.

A380 likes this.
  19. bimble

bimble noisy but small

yep that's the one.
    it's a sort of plug for this book

A380 likes this.
  20. Idris2002

[​IMG]

WWI tanks were categorised according to whether they had machine guns (female) or had cannon (male).

SpookyFrank likes this.
  21. Idris2002

[​IMG]

"A British Army Mark V tank rams a sealed premises on Capel Street, Dublin,"

Whereabouts in Dublin is Capel street again?

A380 likes this.
  22. Idris2002

I see they had a Hipster Action Man, who would use his gripping hands to serve you his special artisanal coffee:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Kaka Tim, BassJunkie, boohoo and 3 others like this.
  23. A380

I'm going to buy a book plugged in the Mail. What have I become??

kebabking and bimble like this.
  24. Idris2002

Interesting that the blurb doesn't include Ireland in this year of British revolution.

25. A380

Yes, but then lots about Ireland and very few about the 'peace riots'.There's a good one about the riots in Luton where the town hall was burned down but not much else I've come across (recommendations please). It's almost as if we were trying to airbrush that bit of English ( and Scottish ) history out. Millions of working class and hundreds of thousands of middle class blokes really pissed off with the ruling class and in possession of guns and experience of using them... closer then to revolution than in the general strike perhaps?

Casually Red likes this.
  26. Lancman

Lancman Well-Known Member

I saw a number of tanks that were destroyed in the fighting in Beirut in the early '80s. I don't know whose army/militia they belonged to but they were about Sherman size. They all showed identical damage. A neat round hole of about 3 inches diameter in the side of each hull but the explosion inside must have been enormous. The turrets sat intact on the ground the right way up but the hulls lay alongside them upside-down with a huge hole blown in what used to be their undersides.

A380 and spitfire like this.
  27. spitfire

spitfire Toast

A380 likes this.
  28. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

The action man for Mums who didn't want their kids playing with war toys.:mad:
    Had the scorpion tank
    And the machine gun. Ended up working with both should have ponied up for the helicopter might have made it as a pilot:D

likesfish and A380 like this.
  29. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I read it, but I recall this being pretty good on mutinies in the army after WW1 and their links with red Clydside etc... The Soldiers' Strikes of 1919

A380 likes this.
  30. Idris2002

Not sure what's going on here, to be honest:

[​IMG]