tablet recommendations

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Hellsbells, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Hellsbells

Hellsbells World's best procrastinator

Can anyone recommend a budget tablet that runs android (under £100)
    Thought about buying an amazon fire tablet but concerned its primarily aimed at amazon prime members which I'm not interested in becoming.
    Any suggestions?

2. yield

yield zero

3. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Don't get a fire, they really are shit for everything except shopping at Amazon.

4. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

My Hudl2 is getting creaky What's a good Android replacement around £100 these days?

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

6. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

If you can stomach FireOS or are prepared to sideload the standard Google Play store onto it, the Fire 10" is absurdly good value. Quite powerful, very good screen.

The Huawei Mediapad T3 8 is decent enough if your Hudl2 is dying, but it's not actually any better except for having a more recent version of Android. And the screen is actually worse. I'd say the £160 M3 8 Lite is the cheapest upgrade that avoids Amazon and doesn't have any aspects worse than your Hudl (really, it had an excellent screen for the money and that's what you're battling against in the cheaper options). But the Fire 10 is more powerful.

7. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Thank you. Might try and get a bit of extra work over the next month or two and extend the budget

8. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

My tablet got bust the other week ;). I had a lenova tab2 A10, which was excellent. That's going for £153 on amazon. All the rest of the Which cheap recommendations seem to be in the £220 -£280 range.

9. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Bought a Fire 10" myself. For £99, it's fairly unbeatable unless you need apps that are iOS only. Installing the Play store is technical, but not particularly difficult. And it makes me appreciate how slow the nearly 4 year-old Hudl 2 is now.

10. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Yeah the Huawei gets a good review 8 & 10

11. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I actually do wish that Amazon didn't gimp their 8" tablets so much. They're utter rubbish next to the 10.

And Huawei makes 3 lines of tablets. One shit, one bearable, one good. Depends which you mean there.

12. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

*bump*

My iPad is a brick, won't even surf the net, what's good out there?. Needs to be able to play video off a NAS.

13. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

No Android tablet is an iPad replacement if you use it for the apps. The tablet application ecosystem for iPad is simply light years away from Google's red-headed step-child that they call tablet support.

If it's just for media consumption, then save some money and buy an Android one. I always push the Fire 10" when it's on sale for £99, but it's probably not going to be that until Black Friday now. It's still not a bad option at its normal price, but at £149 there is actual competition.

mrs quoad likes this.
  14. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

15. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I believe there will be reductions on Amazon products for the bank holiday weekend, can't remember where I read this, not sure if the current prices are those deal prices, or if there's a further reduction incoming on Thursday.

ETA: It starts tomorrow: https://www.trustedreviews.com/deals/amazon-bank-holiday-sales-uk-2993188

16. flypanam

flypanam Agrocultured and shitesayer

Looking for a cheap android which is NFC enabled. Does anyone have a recommendation?

17. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Really rare in a tablet, even at the expensive end. I know of no cheap ones with NFC, they're mostly just media playback devices.

18. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

What do you want NFC for?