Swimming: Open Water and Training etc.

Discussion in 'general sports' started by chilango, Jun 25, 2018.

1. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

As mentioned on the "outdoorsy sofa" my wife does a bit of open water swimming and inspired by her doing the Great North Swim a few weeks back I'm going try and take the plunge.

Luckily there is a club bear me where I can swim in a lake during the summer and who put on low key events....

...but before that I need to train up a bit (in the pool) so I can swim a reasonable distance without stopping.

So today I did the first session of the 0 to 1650 training plan. A kinda c25k for swimming that aims to have me swimming a mile in one go in six weeks time.

It went well. Swam 750m today (not in one go, but with minor and limited planned pauses as per the plan) and I feel good :) yay.

Anybody else doing (or done) anything similar?

2. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

I'm a bit saving swimming for when all my joints pack really, but I'll google that plan. I'm going on a beach holiday later in the year, maybe I'll try something like that then.

chilango likes this.
  3. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

4. LynnDoyleCooper

Being able to swim a mile would be ace, thanks.

chilango likes this.
  5. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

If you've done any sort of regular swimming in the past you'll be up to a mile in no time.

I'd like to get back into it but my shoulder always feels weird and crunchy after (I have a dislocated ac joint so that's not great). I entered the dart 10k swim but got hit by a car a few months before, so dropped out and haven't done any serious swimming since.

Been considering some sort of technique coaching to try and take the pressure off my shoulders but that involves some sort of organisation and money so haven't got round to it.

LynnDoyleCooper and chilango like this.
  6. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I like swimming. I tend to do about a km each time. I've really improved my technique recently. A friend gave me some pointers which helped a lot - slower cadence, holding the lead arm out longer, not bothering with much legs. I want to do an Olympic tri at some point. The swimming is the bit that worries me.. And all the faffing.

7. LynnDoyleCooper

I'd like to be able to do the side stroke, that's supposed to be the better open water stroke. I can barely front crawl at all atm, would for sure need some coaching to sort that out.

baldrick likes this.
  8. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

I taught myself front crawl. It sounds weird I know but I never picked it up from school swimming lessons and my parents are both useless swimmers. One day I just got sick of breaststroke and crashing into people when I ventured into backstroke. I read a few bits of the swim smooth website, watched some videos and had a go. It took me a few sessions to be able to do a length without breathing in water and a bit longer to be able to breathe on both sides but actually it clicked relatively quickly. You have to slow down though. Instead of desperately windmilling arms and flailing legs, you have to really try and do it slowly to begin with.

9. LynnDoyleCooper

That's my perfected technique for most things.

Thanks for the clip I'l have a look.

baldrick likes this.
  10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Session 2 done. Another 750-800m done. (I find it hard to keep count of lengths so do a few extra just in case :facepalm:).

baldrick and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  11. LynnDoyleCooper

Yeah, many years ago when I tried to swim more I remember always losing count of the lengths, as well as being bored to tears with it all.

Any hints how to avoid both problems anyone?

12. baldrick

baldrick ooooh timewarp

A watch that tracks swimming. And even then it's not foolproof, you have to be quite firm with your push-off otherwise it doesn't register a new length. At least that's the case with mine.

As for boredom I don't really have that issue, I find it quite meditative tbh, let my mind wander a bit.

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Can I make a confession?

I am a 45 year old grown man... And I get the massive fear in open water! As soon as I can't see the bottom I tend to panic and wildly swim back to the shore. I really want to be one of those people who go into the sea and swim out to a distant buoy and back... But the sharks and jellyfish and killer whales and Moray eels :eek: :oops:

14. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

If you know your rough speed just swim for the time rather than the number of lengths.

15. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

When I swim my rule for length counting is that if I'm not sure how many I'm up to I count the lower number I'm sure of. If nothing else it incentivises you to remember.

Don't know about the boredom though, I'm like baldrick I don't really get bored swimming. You can get MP3 players that will work in water though if that would help.

16. LynnDoyleCooper

MP3 with the Jaws theme tune? For me. Not Idaho.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  17. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Week one of 0 to1650 completed:thumbs:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    maomao, baldrick and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  18. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Well, I've been swimming 5 times this week. Open air pool so I've got some colour on my pasty torso too. :thumbs:

Idaho likes this.
  19. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I got up from no serious exercise in several years to a mile in one go in about two weeks at the beginning of the year. I wasn't going particularly fast and I had done it before some years previously though.

I always do 1625 rather than 1650 though (a mile being 1609 metres) 'cause it's a 25 metre pool and the sauna's at the other end from where I get in.

chilango likes this.
  20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I always start at the end closest to the hot tub.

maomao likes this.
  21. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Did a km+ on Monday. Almost finished week 2, but I've lost my goggles! :(

22. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

I allow for one pair of goggles a month. TKMax always have cheap ones. My local pool doesn't even bother keeping them as lost property.

I've had a week off all exercise cause I caught a cold and I've been doing too much lately. Will probably have a dip tomorrow though.

23. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

It's quite hard to find lakes swimming isn't banned. Which is a bit shit. I know of loads in the Peak I'd love to swim in, but you shouldnt. I might just do it anyway, I'm guessing the worst that can happen is they accuse you of trespass which is only a civil offense.

24. LynnDoyleCooper

Better late than never... I had my first river swim of the year this week in the River Wharfe near East Keswick just north of Leeds. Water was lovely and warm, and picked a spot that allowed a good hundred metres clear swim upstream.

Going to look in to borrowing a canoe to paddle a stretch near there if this weather holds. Quite fancy a bit of an explore with a picnic and few beers in the sun. Might have to drag it through a few shallow patches or portage round the weirs.

25. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

I just can’t get in to open water stuff. The water is too cold and I can’t really deal with wind, currents or waves very well. I think I’ve been made soft by only ever swimming in a pool.