Swatting claims its first victim.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by likesfish, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

You love me really I can tell :p

cupid_stunt and Spymaster like this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

I do. And it's new years eve, so I'll follow planetgeli's example and take my leave.

Happy new year. :)

Idaho likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

The return of imperial policing from the periphery to the metropole

A380 likes this.
  4. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Most of the modern public order tactics used in the UK had their genesis in the Royal Hong Kong Police, 40 odd years ago.

It will be dropping handgrenades from biplane cockpits next.

5. Pickman's model

6. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

7. Pickman's model

If there's one upside to gentrification you might think it's that plod could think twice before doing that sort of thing here. But after mark saunders that would be a foolish thing to assume

8. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

When was this news?

I was surprised that Eric Garner's daughters death wasn't posted anywhere on U75 even though The Guardian gave her a BIG shout. Not entirely relevant here, but she should have been acknowledged and respected much more.

1985? That would be Reagan then. No surprises.

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

I fucking love this idea.

Back to basics.

I'm getting a bit of a stiffy

cupid_stunt, likesfish and A380 like this.
  10. Stanley Edwards

Why is this sort of shit funny? It really wasn't that long ago that things like this did happen.

11. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's the realness which gives the horn.

Spymaster and likesfish like this.
  12. Stanley Edwards

13. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

He'd love it here.

14. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

http://cjmasters.eku.edu/sites/cjmasters.eku.edu/files/21stmilitarization.pdf

Pickman's model and Idaho like this.
  15. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

A380 likes this.
  16. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Depending on the state its very possible.

17. Pickman's model

As people in Brixton know

Bahnhof Strasse and likesfish like this.
  18. Bernie Gunther

I wish my neighbourhood had a proper Maoist cult bunker.

We just have a RC church and some Jehovahs.

19. Yata

Yata Well-Known Member

suppose it doesnt make a difference but the two playing the game were actually on the same team and one had accidentally friendly fired the other who then kicked off and went to twitter.

heres an interesting bit to help the bun fights, he did the same thing to a woman in Canada who was livestreaming a few days earlier and shockingly enough she wasnt shot to death on her doorstep
    https://i.imgur.com/euzOXa3.png

20. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

Why do strangers who are gaming with each other online know each other’s home addresses?

21. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The techniques for this sort of detective work are easily available.

likesfish likes this.
  22. likesfish

Thing is when you swat someone your trying to get a full on armed response eventually somebody was going fuck up:(.

Humans fuck up add lethal weapons and high stress and or poor training and something like this was bound to happen.

A380 likes this.
  23. Bernie Gunther

Sure, given the way SWAT teams are apparently being trained in the US and their associated culture, 'swatting' is like throwing knives right next to people "to give them a bit of a fright" and then acting all surprised when a knife hits their femoral artery.

spanglechick, likesfish and NoXion like this.
  24. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

???

Sharing addresses?

Isn’t it like trying to find the home address of another poster here?

25. Bernie Gunther

Google 'doxxing'

26. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Yep. Not hard, given enough time, effort and public information. Most people aren't paranoid enough to hide/obfuscate their identities. I know I'm totally doxxable in just a few simple moves, for example.

A380 likes this.
  27. likesfish

Police forces are creating Swat Teams for the worse case scenario. See the east hollywood shootout for a worse case. Two roided up armoured and heavily armed bank robbers had more firepower than responding coppers and were only killed after cops borrowed high power weapons form a gun shop to put them down.
    None of the kit those people had is either difficult or expensive to aquire in the states and making a semi automatic rifle automatic is trival.

Now once you have your hammer everything starts looking like a nail especially a society where everyone is armed and the slightest thing can set someone off.

A380 likes this.
  28. Bernie Gunther

Sure and part of the issue is that doctrines that might make sense if you're taking on a roided up paramilitary nutter re-enacting the last reel of 'Scarface' are being normalised by use of the same teams and doctrines for routine drug war shit and general underclass suppression.

Looking back at the reporting and research I linked a couple of pages back shows that colonial warfare paramilitary doctrines, weapons and culture are now pretty much normalised in segments of US policing.

So while 'swatting' someone isn't quite the same as shooting them in the face yourself, putting them on a collision course with cops who are being actively encouraged to act like they're pacifying Fallujah, does significantly increase their chances of getting shot in the face.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    NoXion and likesfish like this.
  29. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

There is a share real name option on the PlayStation Network (don’t know about xBox).
    In conversation the city they live in might be discussed.
    People tend to say how old they are when asked.
    That’s enough to find someone’s Facebook.
    Some people (idiots) display their addresses on Facebook or pictures with geo tags.
    Or they are listed in directory enquiries.

A380 likes this.
  30. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Carabinieri (Italian police) sometimes use .22 pistols for close-in engagement in some scenarios. Less chance of killing an innocent, if a round hits them, but they don't do any "shoot them in the leg" stuff, it's all "aim for central body mass".

A380 likes this.