1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swatting claims its first victim.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by likesfish, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

The 21-year-old in Coventry is a different case, where the victim was shot in the face with rubber bullets and survived, I think they're still working on extradition in that case.

likesfish likes this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

:hmm:
    But does it satisfy the mens rea for murder?

3. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

You are making a number of clumsy assumptions, conclusions based on limited knowledge, and personal fatwas based on your beliefs - whilst perceiving all as common sense.

The law is both interpretation and precident. In murder cases, there have been instances where just a recklessness as to the result of actions has been taken to be sufficient mens rea. Also we have recently started to see criminal cases at the corporate level (corporate manslaughter). In the context of this discussion I think it is reasonable to suggest operating practices of armed police need to held to account on both these fronts. Unless you are happy enough for the level of judicial killings to keep rising?

4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You're quoting a response regarding the caller and conflating it with the actions of the shooter? The only clumsy assumptions here are those accusing either of murder.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    cupid_stunt and A380 like this.
  5. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I don't care about the caller. That bit is a red herring.

6. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Sometimes I wished I lived in your black & white world.

A380, Pickman's model and Spymaster like this.
  7. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Accusing the policeman of murder based on what's been reported is equally ridiculous.

cupid_stunt and A380 like this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Be careful what you wish for

Badgers and cupid_stunt like this.
  9. cupid_stunt

[​IMG]

Sorted! :thumbs:

A380 likes this.
  10. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Standard issue to the old bill. Along with the 20/20 hindsight binoculars and the magic cuddling tongs that can restrain a roided up 16 stone man armed with a hand gun without injury, or upsetting anyone who watches on Facebook later.

11. cupid_stunt

And, you're a fucking dickhead.

A380 and Pickman's model like this.
  12. Pickman's model

I see you're still full of good will :)

Badgers likes this.
  13. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

You have been told the guy in there is a deranged murderer with hostages lots of training scenarios will have had the unarmed guy suddenly produce a gun so any sudden movement might get you shot. Stuff you might do when SWAT breaks your door down. Adrenaline plays tricks with your mind.
    No we use fmj rounds as per treaties, they are cheap, and all ways feed some guns don,t like hollow points. Police use hollow points as one round will drop a target not go straight through and hit someone else. While the Army will happily shoot the enemy with what ever we can again and again and then bayonet the remains to make sure.

likesfish and A380 like this.
  14. petee

petee i'm spartacus

15. Pickman's model

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Misconception that hollow points won’t pass though. You get an exit wound. A very nasty exit wound of fragmented bullet pieces which can still travel, hit and injure another person. The round just won’t travel as far as a FMJ so there is less chance of colateral damage from a through and through. But still a chance.

The reason hollow points do more damage to an individual is not because it bounces around inside like a pinball but to do with internal shockwaves. I’d explain the physics but can’t be arsed.

Flachette rounds are what do the worst shockwave damage of all.

17. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Militarisation of US (and elsewhere) cops is an issue for all kinds of reasons, from putting arms manufacturers profits ahead of public safety to the various racial angles.

I think it's hard to argue, given the body of evidence around this phenomenon, that 'swatting' someone isn't knowingly putting them at a significant risk of getting shot.

The Militarization of U.S. Police: Finally Dragged Into the Light by the Horrors of Ferguson

Analysis | Does military equipment lead police officers to be more violent? We did the research.

Opinion | ‘Do Not Resist’: A chilling look at the normalization of warrior cops

18. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

What's the point in being involved in a discussion if you are going to randomly change topics? Especially to one which is broadly uncontested - ie me being a dickhead. I am a dickhead, but this fact is not germane to the discussion. Start a new thread to discuss it.

cupid_stunt and Spymaster like this.
  19. likesfish

likesfish officaly hardest and most tooled up urbanite:)

There is a very depressing article ny times article about some kid in Canada swatted and online abused nearly a 100 women The Serial Swatter

16 year old kid no remorse no understanding of the damage he did and egged on by similar morons:mad: authorities found him fast let him out on bail and he just got worse :(

spanglechick and A380 like this.
  20. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

There was a spate of it happening when I lived in LA. Someone did it to Justin Bieber's house a couple of times.

likesfish likes this.
  21. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Any cop who shoots Bieber should get promoted.

22. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

It's alarming enough that calling armed police to someone's house has a significant chance of getting them killed. It's doubly alarming that there are many who are not only unsurprised, but see it as an acceptable and logical state of affairs.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  23. Pickman's model

Out of curiosity has it happened since you left?

24. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Don't be a bell.

This isn't just a case of the police being 'called to someone's house'. As far as they were concerned they were attending the house of a man who had just shot his father to death and was holding the rest of his family hostage.

cupid_stunt, likesfish and A380 like this.
  25. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Their standard operating procedure should be that they turn up without assuming that they are going to assault the building with deadly force.

A380 likes this.
  26. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Did they assault the building then?

27. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

You've got me banged to rights. Those police done good. I hope in the future that a police tip off continues to be a death sentence.

muscovyduck likes this.
  28. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Yeah, that's kinda why I included the 'Normalisation' article, although that mostly talks about normalisation of paramilitary violence and oppression in the context of cop culture (and that of cop in-groups like ex-SF types who train cops).

There's also a wider cultural thing about normalising this sort of stuff in much broader in-groups though, which I think you're right to point out.

It'd be interesting to see some analysis of just how widespread that sort of acceptance of paramilitary policing goes and what the vectors of it are.

I'd offer the analogy of the 'Satanic Panics' in which fundies trained cops and social workers to lock up loads of innocent people based on delusions about 'Satanic Ritual Abuse'. Reading the analysis in the aftermath, it's clear that a kind of cultural change occurred in cop/social services circles that suppressed common sense scepticism about all this stuff. (ETA - and was normalised to the wider culture by sensationalist reporting & 'crusading' MPs and journalists)

I wonder if something similar happens around paramilitary cop culture, in terms of suppressing attitudes to public safety appropriate to what cops are supposed by most of society to be for, in favour of attitudes more appropriate to colonial war.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Bahnhof Strasse and likesfish like this.
  29. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

An anecdote on that from my own locale. A friend and his daughter were in town Christmas shopping and there were policemen with machine guns patrolling. The daughter (young teenager) thought it was reassuring. My friend, the father, commented that as a brown skinned man it made him feel significantly less safe.

muscovyduck and likesfish like this.
  30. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

cupid_stunt was right. You're a thoughtless dickhead.

cupid_stunt, A380 and Pickman's model like this.