Swansea ....

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Mr_Nice, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Mr_Nice

Mr_Nice A Weekend Warrior

I am off to Swansea to work on a 3 month contract, I have heard thats its quite a lively place, I enjoy my nightlife and fitness, I have also heard that there are some good runs along the mumbles :confused:
    Whats da ya reckon cmon give me the real lowdown on the place, where should I visit

2. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

May I be the first to say the phrase 'Pretty Shitty City'?

Other than that, no idea. Only been there for football at the Vetch and under such circumstances it was usually advisable to go straight in, straight out.

3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah the mumbles and gower are nice, town centre is shit and wine/wind st looks dangerous to me with it's numerous large drinking sheds

not too far from Cardiff either ;)

joyo-mun

4. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

the mumbles is nice.
    you can have some pretty good runs there by the seafront.

check out clyne valley for cross country running. huge inclines and declines - can really test your fitness here.

you have the gower nearby and that's just lovely.

gyms? you kidding? most people in swansea are fat!
    it's possibly the fattest city in the SW.
    i use to train at the YMCA off St Helen's road.
    you also have john burn's gym opposite the station.
    that's pretty much it.
    no swimming pools.
    then i'm unsure if they've re-opened the leisure centre.

night life is like any other working town.
    in the centre, you still get girls (all ages) parading themselves in short skirts on a saturday night.
    the men go out in groups, usually wearing the same top man/next shirts.
    the odd scuffle here and there.

5. zog

zog wants to be an aardvark

In terms of fitness, steroids are big in Swansea.

Nightlife ain't too bad, check out the Monkey bar on High st/Wind st, nice chilled venue with a good selection on nights.

6. editor

editor hiraethified

A brief guide:

Mumbles. Lovely.
    Gower. Lovely.
    Swansea. Shithole.

Still, Cardiff's not far away.

7. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

mumbles is lovely, i lived there in the 80s, caswell bay, langland bay, three cliffs bay, oxwich bay(?) the gower itself, beautiful, if you get the choice i'd live in mumbles, or in one of the gower villages ,I lived in newton, that was a lovely village like place, on the hill above mumbles

city centre, was a bit souless tbh, might have changed and that, we tended to leave that to the locals and the valley boys, who came down every weekend for traditional street fighting

8. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

according to me family, that part hasn't changed.

9. marty21

in my running days i used to run from newton village, along to caswell bay, then up along the cliffs to langland bay, then back to Newton, nice little run

10. marty21

stay clear of the city centre then:D

11. Mr_Nice

Nice one folks, I should fit in nicely ;) will check out the bars mentioned and get out running, probably won't be there on Friday / Saturday nights anyway and as I cannot fight its prolly a good idea.....

Code:

In terms of fitness, steroids are big in Swansea. 

Mmm Don't do steroids, although I will be on the lookout for other drugs ;) iyswim

12. Swan

Swan New Member

If you want to swim then then the Welsh National Pool is just off Mumbles rd.

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

You're letting your football prejudices rule again Ed!

Having said that Swansea is a shithole:D with the exception of the Liberty Stadium home to the mighty Ospreys and not so mighty Swans!

14. llantwit

llantwit 

I love Swansea. Spent the day there today walking along the seafront, eating a great meal in Mumbles, and having a mighty fine Joe's ice cream.
    I could live in Swansea if there were any decent jobs around. Friendlier than Cardiff, and much nicer to be near the sea, the Gower, and West Wales, IMO.

15. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

There are several pools, most based at senior schools which open to the public and the leisure centre is being rebuilt.
    There are a couple of chain gyms but again, there are fitness centres attached to schools council run too.
    The wales national pool has a fitness centre too, thats at the bottom of sketty lane

The mumbles is a decent 10k out and back from St Helens ( where there is parking) down to the slip/knab rock and back

Mumbles is nice, it used to be a drinkers paridise but its much quieter now, wind st is where the bars/clubs are. There is a quite decent bar at the top of wind st called Monkey, has a decent crowd and bands etc

16. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

*kicks everyone who said Swansea was shit (especially stupid Charlie :rolleyes:)* :p

Damn right llantwit :D

Monkey bar is indeed chilled and a good place to go.
    Some of Wind Street is ok. (it isn't that scary ddraig!)
    I think avoiding the Kingsway on weekends (well most nights) is a sensible plan tbh...unless you're dumb and young!
    Mumbles/Gower - wonderful for eating out/living in/getting fit(10 k thing). Running/cycling/jogging/walking from Swansea centre all along the beach front to Mumbles is gorgeous. :) I go there often as alot of my friends are from there.
    The Uplands Tavern is a decent pub and has live bands.
    Sin City venue/club in centre of town just off the Kingsway roundabout can be ok when they have some decent bands on.
    There are some yummy places to eat all over. If you like sushi, Wasabi in Brynmill is to die for. There is a delicious indian restaurant just off main road near Blackpill, classy and not over priced (can;t think of the name at mo :oops:)
    Quite a few more eatz places but will pass more on if you want sometime....just pm me, know a few very decent take away places too.

There is an (apparently) gorgeous leisure type complex in the new SA1 area....called The Village. It has foods n stuff too. Not checked it out yet, expensive I hear but fabulous.
    YMCA is kinda shitty but cheap at about £20 a month...as long as you go often to get your moneys worth.
    John Burns gym is not far from me heh. I used to go but...got bored (I'm not a fan of gyms). Tis a nice gym though, friendly atmosphere when I went. More than YMCA, can't remember how much though.

And YES i am from Swansea..ya heathens :mad

17. Mr_Nice

Strumpet,

Thats really useful thank you for the post. I am pitching up there next week for 3 - 6 month contract working for a governement agency ;)
    I will be checking out the places that you mentioned, local knowledge is always useful

18. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

No prob.
    As I said....pm me if you wanna know any more. :)

19. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Swanseas okay, but lets face it it's no Neath.

20. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

21. FaradayCaged

FaradayCaged I like pancakes, do you like pancakes?

Wind street and Kingways are harmless compared to Newport on the weekend, well from what i made of it it was! i spent the night in the Dragon Hotel and had a whale of a night only moving from Wind Street and Kingsway to go to Escape, night-life is better then Cardiff thats for sure

22. Biffo

Biffo Well-Known Member

I've been to Paradise but I've never been to Neath.

23. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

LOL *groans@Biffo* :rolleyes: :p

24. jjuice

jjuice bbbbaaad to the bone

heaven is like swansea, only bigger

25. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

Have you ever watched "Twin Town"? ;)

26. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

Twin Town :cool: :D

27. LilMissHissyFit

Tis coolio. probably by secon fave film ever
    However its only representative of a certain sort of jack... lets be fair..
    Its accurately observed theres no doubt but not all of swansea is like that

28. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

LMHF! *hug* :p

Yeh that's true...

29. Trufflepig

Trufflepig Believes it's not butter!

Hi Folks, I grew up in Swansea, and have never managed to stay away for long - still in the Uplands. If anybody wants a native to show them the ropes PM me. I'm usually found wandering between the Uplands Tav, Mozarts and Monkey in no particular order. :)

30. LilMissHissyFit

Bishop Gore or Dynevor?:D :p