Surrey Senior Cup

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Moroccan Sunset, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

I'm getting on my sopabox again, but are we going to enter the Surrey Senior Cup again next season? If memory serves correctly, we originally backed out of it because we were short of cash. That can't be the case any more? It'd be a fantastic chance to bag ourselves a trophy and maybe give a run out to a few Aspire youngsters.

Also, it might give us another opportunity to play Woking and I know how much we'd all enjoy that.

2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Tweet Gav. He hates cups.

editor likes this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

It would also give us the chance to increase our competition record of 16 wins before Sutton catch us. Unfortunately our division is due to increase to 46 league matches after next season and if you reach the play-offs the county cups start to become a nuisance to the fixture list, which isn't how it should be. I absolutely detest play-offs and all their implications.

B.I.G, editor and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  4. Ian Kaye

Ian Kaye Active Member

As there’s fewer midweek games in this league it would make sense.

5. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

There’s more from the season after. Plus NLS clubs aren’t supposed to go out of the Cup and Trophy asap resulting in more midweeks.

6. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

We played just 9 cup matches in 3 competitions this season, and there wasn't a single postponement due to adverse weather. Total league and cup matches 51.

Two seasons ago, for example, we played 20 cup matches in 4 competitions and reached the play-off final. Total league and cup matches 68.

Each of those seasons was atypical, but factor in a severe winter to the season with 68 matches and you're really struggling. I suppose a pragmatic outlook might be to enter the Surrey Senior Cup then prioritise the various competitions as the season unfolds, but then it's a shame when you throw away the best chance of cup success by fielding a shadow side in a semi final as we seem to have done consistently in the last 5 or 6 seasons.

pompeydunc, Moroccan Sunset and B.I.G like this.
  7. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Do the county cup matches ever get played on saturdays and could they take precedence over league games? Ie if they need to be played by a certain date.

8. keith1

keith1 Active Member

No, County Cups do not get played on Saturdays, and they do not take precedence over league games.

The other sides at our level such as Woking and Sutton have been playing under 23 teams in the Surrey Senior Cup for a number of seasons

pompeydunc, Pink Panther and B.I.G like this.