1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporters’ Trust raise £2,000 for the 12th Man Scheme and new retro shirt design released

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by DHST, Jan 5, 2018.

1. DHST

DHST Active Member

Supporters’ Trust raise £2,000 for the 12th Man Scheme and new retro shirt design released

Happy New Year and we hope you all had a happy holiday.

The new year started well with a resounding 4-0 victory against Kingstonian and a healthy attendance. Let’s hope this good form continues against Folkestone Invicta at Champion Hill tomorrow.

Before the Christmas break, the Club’s annual Christmas party, organised by DHST, took place in the bar following the match against Brightlingsea Regent. This was well attended and everyone appeared to have a great time. We’re very grateful to the following for providing the musical entertainment: Committee member, Tom Cullen; supporter Louis Daly and Brixton Buzz founder and supporter, Mike Urban. We’re also grateful to Club sponsors, Meat Liquor and Franco Manca who provided a fine selection of food. Finally, a big thank you to all the businesses and supporters who donated prizes for both the raffle and the auction that took place including some of our regular poster partners:

Club President – Jack Payne / Sally Miller / DHST Board / Flock and Herd / William Rose / Gavin Watson / DHFC Committee / Duncan Palmer Photography / Rob Graberek /The Honor Oak Handyman / DHFC Former Players Association / Four Pure Brewery / Porters Barbers

We’re pleased to announce that the raffle and auction raised £1,603 and the Trust Board have agreed to top up that amount to £2,000 which will be transferred to the 12th man scheme. Given the current predicament the Club finds itself in we’re sure this will help the Club to continue to pay the players and management.

We would also like to extend our thanks to all our fans, whether old or new, who have purchased merchandise over the recent period. Thirty percent of the merchandise profits goes directly back to the Club so the more you buy, the more money the club receives. Strong Christmas period sales have left our stocks a little depleted but don’t worry, we’ve re-ordered many of the items that have run out. Our annual DHFC calendar has sold very well with less than 10 left in the shop so if you didn’t get one for Christmas then you’ll need to hurry!

As many of you will be aware, the Club celebrates its 125th anniversary this year and we’ve produced a few items commemorating this including badges, mugs and scarves that have helped to contribute to the Intercity 125 fund which is raising money to help get the first team to Hamburg in July. We’ve also been working on something unique which we guess will prove to be very popular with fans and is a fitting tribute to our former heroes from the 1920s and 30s in the form of a limited edition retro shirt.

This is a cotton shirt which features a traditional lace-up collar. To get the shirt as close as possible to the original it will have a ‘clean’ look with no logos, club crest or shirt numbers. The shirt comes short-sleeved only and will be available to reserve at £40.00 each.

[​IMG]

This is a limited run of shirts so we advise those looking to purchase one to reserve via email. No advance payment will be required. If you wish to reserve a shirt please send an email to merch@dhst.org.uk with the following information:

Full Name and required size.

Available sizes (chest size in inches)

34/36

38/40

42/44

46/48

50/52

Reservations will end on 14 January 2018 and we hope to receive delivery of the shirts in mid-February. We will notify by email all those who have reserved a shirt once delivery has been received.

Please note that the shirts will need to be paid for and collected from the mega-container following delivery. Unfortunately these will not be available to buy online and we won’t be able to post. If you are unable to attend a home game to purchase you may wish to arrange for a friend or relative pay and collect on your behalf.

2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

That's a magnificent figure, I hope it is the first of many regular donations, from the Trust, as long as this on-going crisis continues.

Though, having said that, as an ordinary garden gnome member of the Trust, it does actually mean that from Trust coffers, which from your website states that at October 2017 over £33,000 stood in your funds from the 100 Club alone, you will have so far contributed DIRECTLY less than four hundred quid.

As a member, I would hope more is forthcoming if this crisis is on-going.

But two grand is still a great figure to hand over, a big thank you to all who contributed, organised and donated.

3. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Amazing work. Incredible how much DHST has been doing through the Christmas party, increasing membership, new merchandise range, celebrating the 125th anniversary, no doubt many other things...and not least working behind the scenes to manage the crisis. Thanks all of you for the time, effort and stress you give to the club.

From what I have heard (or read?), the 12th Man was fund was not used to cover costs in November. Was it needed in December? I hope that DHST does NOT *need* to use its own funds or the 100 Club funds to patch holes in the operational budget. This would be very concerning, as it would mean that the 12th Man had been exhausted, and the P&L account was perhaps not sustainable. Under that scenario then we would need to surely look at cutting costs to the playing budget, and other costs, and taking up the Council's offer to fund the club. Just a reminder on that:

On the Sunday Politics show, interviewer Norman Smith asked Cllr John: “Could you step in and fund it [Dulwich Hamlet]?” To which Cllr John replied: “Well if need be we will do whatever is necessary to keep the club going and we have made that clear.”

With that offer on the table, why would we consider using precious DHST / 100 club funds? I would far rather the DHST and 100 Club funds were preserved in case of the need for a phoenix club, or better still getting a meaningful stake in the existing club if there is a buyer of the ground and Nick McCormack's shares in DHFC (clearly taking the shares under the current ground ownership scenario is not a good idea). If these funds were used to patch up the club for an extra couple of months, and then the next boulder comes around the corner to flatten us / a buyer comes in belatedly, then there would be no funds for a phoneix club or to invest in a stake in the club.

scousedom, clog and Scolly like this.
  4. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

Duncan I'm really struggling to understand the obsession with a Phoenix club. Where would it play, how much would that cost because with no income then I suggest it might be a lot cheaper to fight this battle.
    Why do you think a Supporters body should not help out a club that was left in the mire by the people controlling its finances?
    How do you cut a budget where all players are contracted? What about obligations to them?
    What other costs would you cut?
    I think you have absolutely no understanding of the budgets Meadow agreed in the club's name. You alao never give any positive comment about the work of committee members, who are the ones really working hard every single day to try to resolve this, find a permanent solution and fully understand the finances and get them into a manageable state, whilst having ongoing discussions with the management.
    Perhaps I should start the cost cutting by releasing Reise Allassani from his contract if we cant afford it. Is that a good idea?
    What about at least 3 other players who are interesting professional clubs? Should I release them as well.
    Then once I've done that we can search for a new manager.
    In terms of getting a stake in the club qell that's another issue. How do you do that when 98% of the shares are controlled by Meadow?
    What you are proposing is exactly what Meadow want. Admit defeat, leave an empty stadium behind and their problems are solved.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Pink Panther, YTC, AndyF and 5 others like this.
  5. DKHphantom

DKHphantom New Member

As a long time lurker on this forum I see a lot of people getting bent out of shape about their specific faction not getting 100% of the praise they think it’s due.

in the current situation what’s more important the 125 yr old entity or the short term obligation to the players? Obviously, it’s not a good look but is Gav really going to leave if he loses 1k a week?

darryl, pompeydunc and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  6. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Yes.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  7. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

That shirt is the bollocks, i may not be a fan, but I think i may well buy myself one of those!

8. liamdhfc

liamdhfc Well-Known Member

It's not often I agree with you B.I.G but the answer is an emphatic yes. Gavin is ambitious and not about to take a step backwards.
    Result of cuts is players leave, manager leaves, team starts losing, crowds go down. Result of that is that there are no savings and so you keep on cutting but the position never improves because income and expenditure get further apart.

9. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

From what I have seen so far this campaign the loyalty of the Dulwich Hamlet players has proved second to none. Let’s be honest the second this crisis emerged the vultures would have been swooping on what is clearly the best squad in this league yet how many players have departed Champion Hill? If I need to answer that.. but we all know what that answer will be. Meanwhile at the Champions elect in their own eyes and those of the turf accountants we await with bated breath what will happen in regards to the announced mid season contract renegotiations when we might find out who is prepared to commit themselves to the Ricay cause beyond the end of this season & who is there for their own ulterior motives, monetary or otherwise?

Dulwich Mishi and Pink Panther like this.
  10. Griff_Turnstile

This is a song we have heard from you more than once. Cutting through the spiel put quite simply, albeit from the lips of a former commissar of the Trust not from current leadership or membership, you are saying that the monies held by DHST will only be used to create a Phoenix Club not to ensure the survival of the club in its current form unless that sum is converted into a major interest in the Club?

11. clog

clog have that you c

I can’t help thinking some of this discussion would be better had in private than on here.

12. Dulwich Mishi

I can't help thinking this is an independent public forum and people should be allowed to say what they like, & be pulled up in public if others disagree.

13. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I think it's a little presumtuous to expect the council to pay our bills. If I were a Southwark resident I'd be somewhat disturbed to hear that council funds were being used to support a private enterprise, however worthy that enterprise is! Furthermore, What are a supporters club's funds for if they're not to support the finances of the club? I simply can't understand why the Supporters Trust would have £33,000 in it's coffers when the club is in financial crisis and many individual supporters (including myself) are going the extra mile to donate their hard-earned cash. Perhaps you can explain this?

I love the retro shirt by the way!

Pink Panther, YTC and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  14. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder whether some people think that starting a "phoenix" club from scratch at the lowest level, beating smaller (but older) clubs on railed off pitches in front of a ready-made fanbase of several hundred of the most dedicated supporters, would be some kind of romantic adventure. For me it would be disastrous if it ever came to that and there will only ever be one true Dulwich Hamlet Football Club, which is the one Pa Wilson founded in 1893. Anything else would be a poor imitation, and as long as our magnificent 125 year old club has a beating heart it should not even be mentioned or contemplated. It would have been bad enough if all this had happened a decade ago, but it would be especially tragic if the last nine years of steady progress and growth on and off the field were destroyed by Meadow's malign influence and ongoing dirty tricks campaign, and all our efforts should be directed towards ensuring that won't happen.

My take on Peter John's comments is that in the event of Meadow trying to force the club's closure by loading it with debt (for example the suggestion some time ago that Meadow would take legal action in the club's name over the Council's refusal to renew the lease on Greendale, leaving DHFC liable for the Council's legal costs) the Council will consider taking whatever action is needed to ensure that won't happen. I certainly wouldn't expect the Council to subsidise the ongoing cost of running the club; for a start it's now clear that with the size of our support the club should be perfectly capable of being self-sufficient without Meadow's meddling. It's clear from the last couple of Chairman's columns in the matchday programme that there are other people willing to take the ground off Meadow's hands and send them on their way with a profit, but Meadow are so far refusing to budge. I reckon the biggest favour Southwark Council can do right now is to work with us in persuading Meadow to sell up and fuck off ASAP.

Personally I trust the football committee to manage the situation as well as possible and I don't feel the need to be given all the details beyond what they feel appropriate to put in the public domain.

15. bringbackelmo

bringbackelmo Well-Known Member

Yeah just for the avoidance of doubt, it really isn't. When my club went bust we received some kind words from fans of Wimbledon and other clubs encouraging us to 'enjoy the journey'. On the second Saturday of the season I went and saw us lose to a bunch of cloggers from Highgate United on the worst pitch I've ever seen (really), in a field on the outskirts of Birmingham. It has had it's moments of course and watching a winning team playing good football, inavriably being at the top of the table, reaching a Wembley final etc. has been fun, but I wouldn't wish the necessity of a phoenix club on anyone.

You must all keep fighting for DHFC, once it's gone things won't ever be quite the same.

16. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Thanks anyway - and the same to you B.I.G

And just a reminder to everyone - with a long overdue reference back to the thread title - that today is the last day you can reserve one of the retro shirts that the Trust has commissioned. Details at the top of this thread and here: Merchandise update – Back up to full stock – Dulwich Hamlet Supporters' Trust

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    editor likes this.
  17. Dulwich Mishi

Completely forgot about this...Can I reserve one please? No idea what size, apart from 'fat bastard'!

18. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Haha! I have passed on your request to the merch gurus. I’m sure they’ll exercise their judgement re the size.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  19. Griff_Turnstile

Not sure whether I should start a new thread on this since this one seems to have taken a detour through the back streets of some industrial wasteland then across the wild werewolf infested moorlands before diving into the scary forest. However am I alone in wondering why the Trust has failed to call an emergency meeting of its membership to discuss the precarious position of our Club and how the funds held might be best utilised to assist Dulwich Hamlet Football Club in surviving at its present level or if those funds are to be utilised at all?

20. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Way to go in keeping this thread on point... :thumbs:

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've removed all the BEEF and plonked it here: General Dulwich beef, bantz'n'angst

Raising funds for the club is more important than people shouting at each other IMO, so there's a new thread for that.

22. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

three cheers for the Editor - great call
    now about raising funds........

editor likes this.
  23. Dulwich Mishi

Having gone through this thread again, with all the 'non-relevant' bits moved/censored/whatever, I picked up on this bit in pompeydunc 's reply:

"With that offer on the table, why would we consider using precious DHST / 100 club funds? I would far rather the DHST and 100 Club funds were preserved in case of the need for a phoenix club, or better still getting a meaningful stake in the existing club if there is a buyer of the ground and Nick McCormack's shares in DHFC (clearly taking the shares under the current ground ownership scenario is not a good idea). If these funds were used to patch up the club for an extra couple of months, and then the next boulder comes around the corner to flatten us / a buyer comes in belatedly, then there would be no funds for a phoneix club or to invest in a stake in the club."

For me a phoenix club, whilst a possibility, it should be on the back-burner, to say the least...with all efforts to keep the Club going, and continuing to honour the players' contracts until the end of the season. For me any supporters' trust should be there to help a club in crisis, and if we are not in a crisis situation then I don't know when we will ever been deemed to be!

I don't think anyone is asking for our Supporters' Trust to hand over every single penny they have in their bank accounts, but a regular donation to help something towards the achieving of the Club (as in the Football Committee) to maintaining the current wage structure until the end of the season should be welcomed.

This could be done in a number of ways. It could be through the "12th Man" scheme, or somewhere else. For example, the release of funds to pay for the team coaches to away games; or covering the cost of hiring the training facilities. This would show something practical for members to see where OUR funds have gone...and leaving the matchday income from the gate to be diverted away from one of these sources toward the wages budget.

To me talk of a 'phoenix club' reeks of having given up on the long and proud history of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club already, which to me seems such a shame as we enter our what is supposedly our celebratory 125th anniversary year. I would certainly hope saving OUR Trust money for a potential phoenix club is not official Trust policy, of which I've never read such a suggestion, to be fair.

I would hope it's just the personal thoughts of one of it's former Chairs, who-in the eyes of some-may run the risk of being judged as maverick as one of his predecessors in that role, namely Jonathan Hunt.

Jamie Wyatt likes this.