Sunday 9th December Demonstrations

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Jeremiah18.17, Nov 28, 2018.

1. YouSir

YouSir Look out Laika, it's Earth.

This wasn't a pro-Brexit march. I voted Leave but Tommy Robinson is still a cunt, don't try to conflate the two.

Totoro303, Old Gergl, yield and 7 others like this.
  2. YouSir

Aye, only a few hundred thousand dead amongst the Remain supporters.

3. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

There is a video on FB that indicates the anti-brexit march was more substantial than is being estimated, worth viewing and discussing, right wing page I think though.

You Sir, SWP branded the demo as usual, I recall they have always done this, difference is they are known rape apologists now.

4. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

What :confused:

5. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I'm not conflating the two. But if you and Tommy Robinson end up on the same march you will be conflated.

6. YouSir

We didn't, we ended up on polar opposite marches. As to your over response, think about those who've been the public face of Remain. If you can't figure it out it's your problem.

Fozzie Bear and treelover like this.
  7. treelover

marching with

So, no defender of TR, people marched with rape apologists today, who ungraciously also branded the protests, are they culpable?

8. This is bonkers. But I can’t be arsed to go into it.

9. YouSir

They did, I was talking about that to people afterwards. They will always hand out their signs, people will always take them because they're there. I think the Left has a tendency to get too obsessed about that even though everyone who's actually there knows about the SWP and wants fuck all to do with them. And anyone who sees the signs and doesn't know about the SWP, doesn't care.

10. treelover

Going by that video, what do poster estimate were there, lots of triumphalism at the Guardian, etc, and if such localised turn outs are the most significant element in fighting the far right.

11. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I think we'd gone past before that happened, we were very near the front. There was a small shouting match at the bottom left of Trafalgar Square when myself and bellaozzydog went through but we didn't see anything more substantial.

It was good to meet mr. dog today, hopefully we get to march together again.

12. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I did say that there were some unsavoury remain people a few posts back I think.

13. spitfire

spitfire Toast

No idea, we were too far away to estimate, (mortar range rather than rifle range). But that looks like there is way more than most people are saying.

14. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

I don't understand this.

15. YouSir

Wasn't anything, tbh. Some black bloc types tried to get by the police, the police had no idea what was going on and let them. Little scuffle and all over. Did hear later that there were some Fash in Trafalgar Square, which was why people were trying to get through. Weren't there when I was though, not unless they were very quiet about it, which they may have been.

On a more cheerful note, did see a copper lose their truncheon which was disappeared into the crowd. So, someone has a nice reminder of the day.

spitfire likes this.
  16. YouSir

Tbf 3,000, which is the number I've heard, can look like a lot more in a small space. Not watched the video though, can't be arsed.

spitfire likes this.
  17. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Yeah the ones we saw at trafalgar sq were the same 3 Stone Island types who were chased off by some guys at Piccadilly. Not sure if there was many more but I guess they may have been nearby.

18. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Odd day. I can't see how we had any impact on the Tommy R thing. There certainly weren't 15000 of us.

M Testa likes this.
  19. YouSir

Weird really, did see some spotters before Trafalgar Square, well hidden behind police. What were the roaming Fash looking for? They did fuck all, were massively outnumbered and just stood around. Odd tactic on a march which was always going to be heavily policed.

20. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I was at both. The numbers quoted previously are pretty accurate I’d say - a few thousand Brexit, three or four times that number anti.

Voley and spitfire like this.
  21. YouSir

Momentum said there were, so there was...

Otherwise, didn't give them free reign, maybe made some feel unwelcome. I dunno.

22. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I guessed 10,000. The impact was that even then it was significantly more than the opposition. Which is something.

Cops seemed to have it all sewn up when the marches were on...

23. Red Sky

I was on the anti fascist one. At its absolute height maybe 5000. Loads less than that at the end.

24. Red Sky

Well yeah . According to Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar we outnumbered them 5 to 1 . Which makes it quite embarrassing that we didn't do anything.

25. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Metro reporting Yaxley-Lennon's lot outnumbered 5 to 1. Even allowing for a bit of journalistic licence that's heartening to read.

Nice one, everyone that went.

Kaka Tim and spitfire like this.
  26. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

that one joke jonathon pie was spotted having selfies with the tommy knockers

27. YouSir

What should have been done? Heavily, heavily policed, wide range of people - not all of whom were up for ruckus, kept a long way from the opposition. Anyone who thought this could have developed into something else before the police waded in was delusional.

treelover, spitfire and Fozzie Bear like this.
  28. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

well done to all who went.
    When/if brexit gets canned the far right will continue trying to channel outrage at "the great betrayal" onto the streets - this seems to indicate that they will have limited success. If anything the the presence of the likes of Yaxley Lennon and the new model UKIP leading the "brexit betrayed" campaign will likely put a lot of leave voters off.

29. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

I think they were happy gobbing off to the March knowing that the police were there to stop any concerted violence against them and tbh the crowd were surrounding them and heckling them to death:D from my point of view there seemed to be loads of self restraint and the majority of marchers didn’t seem to be of the fighting type

My first protest march on the human side

Really buzzing from it

Voley and spitfire like this.
  30. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

The opposition to SYL and UKIP was an alliance between remain supporters and leave who feel opposing them on the day was the priority.

Fozzie Bear likes this.