Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

[Sun 1st Apr 2012] Streatham Common Kite Day (London, SW163PX)

Mr Moose

What the hell are we supposed to tell the kids?
Don't tell any South London Taliban. This sort of thing pisses them right off.

RoyReed

Must fly!
Don't tell any South London Taliban. This sort of thing pisses them right off.
True they don't like any sort of fun, but the main reason the Taliban banned kite flying was the large amount of gambling that the Afghanis do on the outcome of kite fights.

Belushi

01 811 8055
R.I.P.
It's at the end of my street so I will be along at some point. It's the best thing that happens in Streatham all year.

sim667

Licking windows on the 303 bus.
It's a good day out. The choreographed stunt flying is worth it :)
Think it might be a bit much this weekend though, Im having a night out in brighton friday, paintballing in dorking saturday, so kit day in streatham sunday might be pushing it (although if im awake and i fancy a drive out i might cruise down).

Im assuming you can take your own kite?

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
Think it might be a bit much this weekend though, Im having a night out in brighton friday, paintballing in dorking saturday, so kit day in streatham sunday might be pushing it (although if im awake and i fancy a drive out i might cruise down).

Im assuming you can take your own kite?
Yep - there's plenty of space. The sky is full of kites

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
Oooh it might be good for photos :D
It's a good opportunity to take those "everybody doing the same thing, without doing it together" photos. Loads of people flying kites, all looking at the sky, but all in slightly different ways.

Sweetpea

Uncle Roger drunk
I'm going now!
At this time of night?
The traffic between Brixton & Streatham must be harsh indeed :D

Seriously, kite day is fab. I've enjoyed it for many years as a high enjoyment, low cost day with the family. Would recommend it to all who are local.

plurker

tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo
we wandered up to the rookery cafe for a (decent, home-made, rum&raisin) ice-cream at one point, and the wind was a fair bit stronger towards the top of the common - naturally enough I guess - higher = more exposed...

Roy - I wondered if, given that the display area needs zero infrastructure, you've previously explored the idea of having that area higher up the common...most of the stall-holders would be able to set up their pitches further up also, as there's the tarmaced path half-way up that's level enough to park up on. Just a thought, anyway, not griping - a top day overall, as usual.

5t3IIa

Got there late with Belushi and quimz and either missed the MASSIVE kites (There was a clownfish last year!) or they weren't up :confused: Was lovely and sunny though :)

editor

hiraethified
There were no MASSIVE kites this year on account of the wussy wind levels. We were there till 530pm so we must have missed each other.

RoyReed

Must fly!
Roy - I wondered if, given that the display area needs zero infrastructure, you've previously explored the idea of having that area higher up the common...most of the stall-holders would be able to set up their pitches further up also, as there's the tarmaced path half-way up that's level enough to park up on. Just a thought, anyway, not griping - a top day overall, as usual.
I'm no longer one of the organisers, but I'll pass this on to the right people.