1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer 2017 - What to do thread

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Fingers, May 5, 2017.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

2. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Surrey cricket of course!
    We did beat Middlesex today...

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Giro d'Italia started today.

Le Tour starts in July.

jnrknight and dcdulwich like this.
  4. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Epping to ongar steam rail sounds intresting.

5. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Shame about the daft fixture schedule. No more Championship cricket at The Oval on Satudays or sundays this year. Just a 50 overs game agaisnt Hants next Sunday and a couple of T20 matches on Sundays - 9 July v Somerset and 13 August v Sussex. Everything else is on weekdays, except teh first day of a four day game agaisnt Middx on August Bank Holiday, when Hamlet will have a game somewhere. I get the feeling the ECB are deliberately pushing county cricket to the margins and doing their best to make it look mediocre in order to justify their silly franchise T20 competition and make it look more appealling.

Noss likes this.
  6. Cyclodunc

Yup, bang on.

pompeydunc likes this.
  7. Pink Panther

I went on that three years ago and enjoyed it. Only £1.50 each way to Epping on an Oystercard from local South London stations if you avoid Zone 1 and swipe on the pink reader at Canada Water:

Epping Ongar Railway - Home

clog, pompeydunc and Dulwich Mishi like this.
  8. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

For me....obviously tomorrow:

Football Feast Sunday! - News - Dulwich Hamlet Football Club

On Tuesday a team from the Copleston Centre take on a side from East Dulwich Sainsburys at Champion Hill.

Next Saturday is my day off, I'm probably going to go to Punjab United versus Stanfeld, in the Kent County League Premier Division. They play in Gravesend.

On Sunday 21st I am planning to go to the Vase & Trophy finals at Wembley.

If I see anything that I can get to I may squeeze in another game, if there's anything local that I can get to.

On Tuesday 23rd it's the start of my summer holiday. Thursday 25th is the Hamburg Cup final, gutted Altona fucked up thesemi, but such is life. I shall still go the final, my fourth on the spin, as always at Viktoria.

Saturday 27th will be a non-league game in Lubeck, found for me by all to nah !

Sunday 28th will be the first play-off game, if Altona qualify...if not I will be a neutral at the Concordia game. The next play-off is on Wednesday 31st May.

Thursday 1st June I fly back to Stansted, then fly from there up to Glasgow.

Saturday 3rd June is the Queen's Park Supporters Sixes, at Lesser Hampden.

My last games of the season are on Sunday 4th June, both womens games.. At 1.00pm Glasgow City play Rangers at Airdrieonians; then it's a cab across town to Hamilton Academical against Hibernian, at the main Accies ground.

On the Monday I'll get a coach from Glasgow to Manchester, where I will stay for a couple of nights, a coach journey booked back to London at six o'clock on the Wednesday evening.

Back at work on Thursday 4th....then it will only be about a month until the first pre-season matches kick in, and it begins all over again! ;)

My current 2016/17 total, all matches including pre-season, is 124 matches seen so far; with 9 new grounds in England, and a further six new ones in other countries.

9. vicarofsibley

vicarofsibley 80087355

10. toby kempton

toby kempton Well-Known Member

Fa womans cup final this saturday 5:15 at wembley (tickets still available) fa trophy and vase final tickets £25 adults (2 games) £1 for kids under 16

11. OnTheFull

OnTheFull New Member

Why not give the highly entertaining and grossly underrated sport of Aussie Rules a try? Round one of the season was completed last weekend and games will be played the majority of Saturdays between now and early August. Local ovals can be found at Peckham Rye Common (home of SE London Giants) and Clapham Common (home of Wandsworth Demons). Other locations include Motspur Park, Chiswick, Hackney Marshes & Bounds Green. All games are free to attend, BYOB!

2017 FIXTURES is where to find out what's happening, the clubs are easy to find on social media for exact timings.

Maybe we'll see you on the sidelines for a prosecco, a beer, or just to have some fun in the sun? Novices welcome, it's a friendly environment. If you don't know the rules, someone will explain it to you!

There have been a few pink & blue scarves seen at Peckham Rye in recent years so hopefully this will resonate with a few of ya!

Nivag, Pink Panther and pompeydunc like this.
  12. Dulwich Mishi

Got to say...I've never been to an Aussie Rules in my life! Too lazy to check the fixtures now, but could fill one of my empty couple of Saturdays in June...

OnTheFull likes this.
  13. Scolly

Scolly Well-Known Member

I've watched a number of AFL games in London previously, I good friend of mine was the Wildcats captain for a few years. I enjoy it, only negative is the refs whistle far to much!!!

May pop to a couple again this year

OnTheFull likes this.
  14. Pink Panther

For several years a couple of the big AFL sides used to come over to play an exhibition match at The Oval around October. I saw the most recent one, which I think was in 2006. Geelong v Port Adelaide. It was relatively easy to work out the basics of what was happening. I particularly enjoyed the umpires' flamboyant hand signals:

If there are games at Peckham Rye I'll try to get along to one.

OnTheFull likes this.
  15. OnTheFull

OnTheFull New Member

Some interesting responses here, nice! I too miss the exhibition matches at the Oval Pink Panther, I wish they'd come back.

Usually on a Saturday you can get up to 4 games being played as there are 5 leagues - men's premier, men's conference (2nd's), ladies premier, laddies conference, men's social (over 40's). The men's premier offers the best standard and there are 2 games coming up at Peckham Rye in the next 2 weekends:
    • Saturday 13th: SE London Giants V London Swans
    • Saturday 20th: SE London Giants V North London Lions.
    Personally I expect this Saturday's game to be quite a close encounter. Both sides will fancy it, will be playing strong & for the ball. It should be a really good contest. Again it's completely free, there's an offy nearby & the weather might be nice too!

16. Cyclodunc

I went to a game at the MCG in 2003 and enjoyed it more than I thought I would!

OnTheFull likes this.
  17. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Remember those Challenge Games at the Oval primarily for the giant cans of Fosters that were on sale! These seemed to serve as a major p155 up for the ex pat Aussie community.

OnTheFull likes this.
  18. Griff_Turnstile

On a slightly sideways point Tonbridge Angels run out to "Up there Cazely", sort of the national anthem of Aussie Rules. Unless it's something to do with the style of football played at Longmead, buggered if I know why!!!

19. Griff_Turnstile

Still a bit of proper football to be played though and think I might pop up to Barnet tonight as they have an under 23s Cup Final against Bristol City KO 7pm. Chance of Shawn McCoulsky turning out for City so should be a good chance to assess his progression.

20. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I wonder if City will play Tammy Abraham?

21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

I'm gonna take three weeks, gonna have a fine vacation
    I'm gonna take my problem to the United Nations
    Well I called my congressman and he said 'Quote'
    "I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote"
    Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do
    But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues

clog likes this.
  22. Griff_Turnstile

Afraid not it's a "proper" under 23 team from both sides i.e. Players who should have made the first team years ago but will mostly drop into Nonleague football when they reach their use by date. This means no Shawn though do recognise one name in Barnet side, Tobi Coker, who if I recall correctly, played for the Hamlet in preseason.

23. jnrknight

jnrknight James Knight

I definitely remember those fruity umpiring signals from early morning Transworld Sport & cereal sessions in the 90s.

YTC, Pink Panther, OnTheFull and 3 others like this.
  24. vicarofsibley

vicarofsibley 80087355

This.

25. Latahs

Latahs Well-Known Member

Rabble Rouleurs....this Saturday anyone?

26. OnTheFull

OnTheFull New Member

Update, the main game will be commencing at 3pm at Peckham Rye. Hopefully see some of you there?

27. Pink Panther

As a Surrey member I had free admission to the ground and a set in the upper part of the Pavilion, but the rest of the ground did look like mayhem with around 15,000 mostly pissed Aussies including the worst streaker I've ever seen. He ran onto the field shirtless, then tried to take down his trousers and pants whilst running and tripped himself up when they got stuck around his ankles and fell flat on his face.

vicarofsibley and Cyclodunc like this.
  28. vicarofsibley

vicarofsibley 80087355

Sounds like B.I.G at an away game.

29. Dulwich Mishi

30. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

An impressively eclectic mix Mishi!

I'm at the Festival Fair On Goose Green all day Sunday as I'm the 'site manager' - a somewhat daunting prospect. DHST has a stall again.

Missed the Surrey vs Kent one dayer today due to all the prep and will miss the game against Hampshire on Sunday. Oh well. Do come along. There's donkey rides and everything... just hope the weather is reasonable.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    pompeydunc likes this.