1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

submit a photo to the urban75 critics

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alef, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Lord Hugh

Lord Hugh Multiply and

It's a nice shot; for me, I would increase the contrast/darken the shadows, as there is not much dark in the picture (looks a little "washed out" which does not suit the image), and then maybe increase the saturation/vibrance of the colours (personal taste alarm! This is mostly just my preferences, though I'd recommend to increase the darkness to stretch out the histogram to full range regardless of taste). I am also finding that the brightness of the top and bottom draw my eyes away from the centre - I would do a slight vignetting around the edges to draw the eye to the center.

I did a quick example - it's not the best as I only have gimp on this PC and I'm not used to using it, so it's a bit funny, but gives an idea of what I mean:
    [Edit: also there was something bugging me about the framing, I cropped a little off the pavement at the bottom and it's more pleasing now]
    tmp_edited_feet_in_market_2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It's a nice spot. What I would have done is made a vertical shot that crops off some of the extraneous detail on the right and left (especially the polystyrene boxes) which makes more of the relationship between the feet and the shoes left on the step.

hanoi-feet.jpg

And I agree with Lord Hugh about tweaking the levels just to get the best of the shadow areas.

3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Thanks to Lord Hugh & RoyReed for the advice, i'd actually a more 'portrait' one but only posted the wider one.

4. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Tankus, Conrad2, albionism and 3 others like this.
  5. Bungle73

Another from me. This on a personal photo walk along the Thames in September. Took a few, of which this is one of those I chose to edit and upload.

[​IMG]Westminster by Graham West 2014, on Flickr

6. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

The chester photo has a great mass of nothing much on the left hand side. Seems a bit meh tbh.

I like the westminster bridge shot though. The different sky above it frames it really well. Houses seem washed out slightly.

7. Bungle73

Thanks. I brought up the shadows in LR. Maybe I overdid it tad?

8. Conrad2

Conrad2 New Member

9. Bungle73

Quartz likes this.
  10. Pingu

Pingu Credo

this is my first attempt at anything remotely arty with my camera. imo it could probably do with a little crop but thought would submit the raw picture to get more experienced views

lpool3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  11. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Apart from the blob in the upper right, it looks really good. Next time you might consider framing it so the topiary on the RHS is out of shot.

12. Pingu

Pingu Credo

am going to introduce it to photoshop later on today to crop out some of the unwanted bits and to despekle a bit. the blob was cos it was raining and a drop got onto the lens but that is easily removed too

13. Pingu

Pingu Credo

IMG_0389-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

done:

• straighten image up
    • remove blob
    • slight crop (if I crop to remove the plant then it just doesnt look right)

14. Bungle73

Took this image of Lincoln Cathedral last week. I'm annoyned at myself for not giving more space at the top, and also it would probably would have been better shot in the morning to avoid the large shadow at the bottom, but it would have meant getting up early (if the weather played ball). :(

[​IMG]Lincoln Cathedral During the Golden Hour by Graham West 2014, on Flickr

15. Bungle73

It's two images stitched together btw (I need to get myself a wide angle lens).

16. Bungle73

17. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced Enforced Holiday

Quite chuffed with this, taken on my old iPhone 5:

FullSizeRender.jpg

18. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Cross-posted from the Mundane Pictures of the North thread:

IMAG0387.jpg

Taken half an hour ago on my way to work.

19. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

1445792082348.jpg
    Pevesney Bay last weekend.
    Snapped on a mobile phone.

20. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Simple subject I know. But was so pleased with this. Flowers my sis in law gave me.

[​IMG]

torquemad and weltweit like this.
  21. Archimage

Archimage Kat Knapper

oops, sorry, wrong thread.. removed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  22. Archimage

Archimage Kat Knapper

Okay, I went out locally and took some pics.
    All here in Inyo County - California.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

petee, torquemad and weltweit like this.
  23. Bungle73

torquemad likes this.
  24. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

I know nowt about taking photo and most get taken on a mobile phone with me squinting and wobbling. This is a shame as I am fortunate to spend a lot of time in very picturesque places. If someone would tell me a couple of things to do it better that would please me and I would be grateful. I think I am okish at picking things to take a picture of but always have it tipsy or with a big sunlight thing all over the place. Here, for example, I have lopped the top of the mountain off.

Attached Files:

• is3.jpg
      is3.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  25. Bungle73

torquemad likes this.
  26. Bungle73

27. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

I hope this doesn't upset anyone, I know it's ugly.
    Took the picture a few days ago on my corner here, early morning on way to the station. Haven't shown it to anyone yet.
    What troubled me most is that I saw a beauty in this which maybe wasn't there at all. I don't know.
    The foxcub was removed that same day but the blood's still there.
    *oversharing*
    IMG_2890.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  28. Pingu

Pingu Credo

never really done any still life before so open to all comments and tips

Eraser.jpg

29. Pingu

Pingu Credo

spoiler tags would improve that massively for me tbh

30. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Yes, sorry. I don't know how to do that will try to figure it out later.