1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

submit a photo to the urban75 critics

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by alef, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Redeyes

Redeyes Ptooff!

Cheers, was a lucky shot to be honest. I focused on Poppy's face and never thought about how the reflection would come out!

2. astral

astral author unknown

Here's my first try at some macro and wildlife photography from this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

[​IMG]

Me76 likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Miss Caphat likes this.
  5. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

6. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Um, since when was Paddington an international station?

And NR are more than happy for people to take photographs at their stations: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Oh shit I'm thinking of Waterloo aren't i?

I've been asked what I'm doing taking photos at a station before.

8. Bungle73

Waterloo isn't international either. Hasn't been for years. Only international station in London is St. Pancras.....unless you count Stratford International, which isn't really "international" at all since only domestic trains stop there.

I think some of the staff like to make up their own rules, but NR, and I think most (all?) of the TOCs are happy for people to take photos at their stations, as long as people stick to a few simple rules. I think the advice generally given to is go onto whoever runs the station's website, print off the page about photography at stations and take it with you. Then if you get unfairly challenged you can show it to the person.

And also, if you do get hassled, report it to whoever runs the station, be it NR or a TOC.

9. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Of course Paddington is an international station. You are not implying that Wales is merely a principality of England are you? ; )

10. Bungle73

Went up to London yesterday, took my new camera, and took some shots by the Thames in the evening. Canon EOS 700D with 18-55mm STM IS kit lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Actually they are all HDR images, except the Tower Bridge one.

First one edited in Digital Photo Professional, the 2nd in Raw Therapee, and the 3rd wasn't edited at all.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  11. torquemad

torquemad " I'll give you fuck all, champ"

Ditto Euston and Scotland! And Kings Cross for that matter. And Liverpool Street for the Harwich ferry.

In fact, come to think of it, Waterloo may be the only non-international station in London.

Greebo likes this.
  12. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

I'm really not much of a photographer at all, to be honest, but this one, which I took in Argentian Patagonia in 2007, didn't turn out too badly, I guess:

[​IMG]

13. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  14. Zuru

Zuru Just Decay

commercial-waste.jpg

Manter and jeff_leigh like this.
  15. torquemad

16. Zuru

Zuru Just Decay

Was. The name of the band is not important as I am not trying to bash them. It is the music business as a whole and the competitive nature of these "I scratch your back if you scratch mine" awards that I am taking a cheap shot at...

dlx1 likes this.
  17. torquemad

Thanks for the clarification. I had not appreciated that it was an installation, if that is the right word. I thought it was simply a skip you ahd happened upon.

Either way, I appreciate the pic and the metaphor. Thank you.

18. Bernie Gunther

[​IMG]

Orion Nebula (needs more data for the overexposed bits)

dlx1, Signal 11, mwgdrwg and 3 others like this.
  19. Bungle73

Nice. How did you get that?

20. Bernie Gunther

Remote controlling a Takahashi TOA 150 on a Paramount PME with an SBIG 8300 camera, up a mountain in a desert in New Mexico someplace via iTelescope.

UK weather and light pollution make trying to do astrophotography locally pretty pointless IMO. So while I do a fair bit of visual astronomy, my dabbling with imaging is conducted via networked scopes in places with nice weather and no light pollution.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Miss Caphat likes this.
  21. kage

kage half past pasty

22. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

23. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

24. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Very nice shot of Mark Thomas, but I think a small crop and a tweak of the levels could improve it.

MarkThomas.jpg

Enviro and fractionMan like this.
  25. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

The face is excellent, particularly the way you've got the sweat glistening. But the picture is rather ruined by that bit of flash on the LHS and the guitar(?) on the RHS. I suggest you paint out the guitar and crop the picture closer to his face:

artyfarty photo cropped.jpg

(I couldn't crop it decently without painting out the guitar.) I've not got that quite right, but I hope it helps.

26. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

27. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

:cool:

28. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

OK, this is the first photo I've ever taken without using automatic settings and auto-focus! I've got a little Canon Powershot SX260 HS compact camera, so don't be too scathing. :)

IMG_1308.JPG

29. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

It's a bit of a shame, this thread seems to have turned into more of a post a photo rather than crit thread.

Perhaps it's because it's a sticky.

30. Bungle73

Tankus, Gone Girl, torquemad and 7 others like this.