Style and Fashion for Women over 50

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by Yuwipi Woman, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I've never classed myself as much of a style expert, but a lot of the advice posted for women over 50, seems to be particularly awful. I take a look at these sites and then go running back to my mostly black art student clothing.

Here's a particularly odd example:

Fashion to Die for: How to Choose Your Last Outfit or Burial Gown

Why is the advice so mindnumbingly bad? Anyone have any other examples of bad advice? Any good advice?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    farmerbarleymow and Lupa like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

I think there's just an expectation (which should be resisted!) that you'll want to tone shit down as you get older, so clothes advice for middle ages onwards is shit for everyone.

3. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s bollocks. I’m not changing the way I dress because I’m getting older apart from feeling more at ease with how I look and giving less of a shit what people think.

4. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

As a 55-year-old woman, I have some advice: wear what the fuck you like :)

I find there are some areas of my body I like less now, like my shrivelled neck/chest area, so I cover up more, but it's my choice, not anyone's advice :D

5. campanula

campanula diminished responsibilty

Yep - released from youth-orientated fashion fads, anarchy is the best way to go...although this option risks some fails. My multi be-ribboned 'raggy doll' look mysteriously failed to gain traction...but I so enjoyed buying and wearing multiple bright threads of colour. 8 year old grand-daughter my unswerving ally though, so who cares?

May Kasahara, Rebelda, Saffy and 3 others like this.
  6. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Thats the key advantage of getting older - you just stop giving a shit what people think of you. Wear what you like, and sod everyone else.

I basically dress the same as I did when I was twenty. The only difference is my arse is not as pert as it once was, and I've got a bit of a belly but fuck it. Still jeans, t-shirt or checked shirt.

Shirl, Saffy, fucthest8 and 3 others like this.
  7. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Yes, I'm 43 and now wear stuff I used to tell myself I couldn't get away with - fuck it, life's too short to not wear what really makes you smile.

Saffy, fucthest8, kalidarkone and 2 others like this.
  8. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I basically wear a variation on a black t-shirt, tights and DMs every day, with spectacular plastic jewellery. No one's said it's age-inappropriate :D

circleline, Shirl, Saffy and 4 others like this.
  9. Yuwipi Woman

My uniform these days is a t-shirt in the green/blue/purple/black range, black hoodie (with two yellow highlighters in the pocket), black boot-cut jeans, and funky Converse sneakers. Today its my Hello Kitty pair.

[​IMG]

Add to that my current winter coat--a Vietnam era vintage aviator coat.

Not exactly high style, but its comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

I've never given a toss what anyone thinks of what I wear.

So, I wear whatever I feel like wearing. Some days it'll be a t shirt, cropped jeans and docs.
    Others till be a tweet skirt and boots and a sweater.
    I do take proportion into account but that's cos I'm small. So oversized clothes can swamp me.

fucthest8 and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  11. Yuwipi Woman

Yeah, I have to be careful of anything that goes too far below by waist. And I tend toward the boot-cuts because it makes my ass look in proportion.

Lupa likes this.
  12. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I tend to dress as if I've had a colour pallette explode on me. Yesterday was purple top with burgundy underlayer poking out, orange skirt, cherry tights and burgundy boots, with a brown coat and aubergine scarf.
    Today was a mid-blue jumper with teal ruffle/pom-pom scarf, pea green skirt, turqoiuse tights and green knee boots.
    Earlier this week was a black and white wavy striped loose knit jumper with a red top underneath, slim orange trousers and yellow shoes.
    I often have complentary two-colour fingernails. All this probably sounds worse than it looks!
    I'm not quite 50 but all black is not what I am expecting to be buried in.

13. Jennastan

Jennastan bloop

my skirts stay short despite my age - but then my legs might be my least aged feature so in a way they make me look younger.

May Kasahara, circleline and Lupa like this.
  14. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

mango5 you sound fantastic in my view - colourful is great. :cool:

Lupa likes this.
  15. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

I love seeing this kind of style.
    I just cant pull it off myself.

I usually stick to three colours...and am a bit ocd about matching colours. I literally either blend tones or highlight with opposites on the colour wheel. It's not exactly planned...I just seem to do it.
    Example...rust cord jeans (not red ok?) With a darker tone jumper and a multicoloured scarf (pink, lilac, rust, brown, cream and black) and I wore these with a lilac coat and docs. It worked ... in my mind.

I love scarves :D

Next day, I wore a red and white striped t shirt, blue denim pinafore, red cardigan, red opaque tights, black docs.
    Next I wore navy cropped cords, cherry red docs, navy and red stripey jumper.

I like to wear black too though but always with a colourful scarf. And recently I've fallen for leopard print. Just in a scarf..and on a pair of docs I got 2 yrs ago for my birthday.

Actually...I know what I'll be seen dead in for sure. It'll be my cherry docs and a dress I got over the summer. Flowery one.

mango5 and fucthest8 like this.
  16. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I'm stuck in an M&S rut now. I don't do an office job or go salsa dancing any more, so my wardrobe is entirely casual, lots of bright colours (yellow at the moment) but nothing remotely stylish. I'd like to be more stylish but I'm not sure how that can be achieved when overweight and over 50.

17. izz

izz Madam, to you. :-P.

I have to disagree with you having met you at Worthing, I thought you had a great look, with your own style, which is the best one. So there :p

18. fucthest8

fucthest8 What the zarking fardwark was that?

I feel really strongly that everyone should not give a fuck about this stuff, so I ♥️ this thread. I bought some orange Vans recently. I probably look like a bit of a twat in them but you know what?

Yep, I don't give a fuck.
    I'm trying very hard to wear more colour now. I'm liking all of your styles.

(Sorry, not.a.woman, I'll fuck off now)

19. fucthest8

fucthest8 What the zarking fardwark was that?

Fuck "stylish". That bullshit's for people who want to be told what to do. izz has it right.

I really will stop now

Yuwipi Woman and Lupa like this.
  20. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Oh thank you :)

The thing you are missing is that whole 'invisible woman over 50' thing. No-one notices or remembers you any more. Possibly if I put a bit more effort into what I wear, I might be 'seen' more. I don't really want to dye my hair bright orange or dress like Camila Batmanghelidjh, and possibly I don't really care enough to put that effort in, but 'stylish' would work for me.

mango5 likes this.
  21. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

In that case think "classic" looks.
    For classic I would say....would grace kelly wear this ... and if it's yes then go for it. Neutrals all round with pastels. It's a good timeless look. Pencil skirts with white blouse. Or jumper.
    Capri pants with poloneck.
    Blazers with a white blouse and straight leg jeans. Loafers...kitten heels. Classic trench coat or camel coat.
    All stylish...ageless....timeless...

I did it ..once.
    I lived in 2 pairs of capri pants and a polo neck. One skirt. One white blouse. 1 blazer. 1 coat. And 2 scarves. 1 pair black pumps. 1 pair boots. It looked stylish but I just got bored and missed my docs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  22. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

SaMe here as I wear scrubs at work. Also overweight and 50 however I consider myself stylish :D and Wear what I think makes me look good and feel happy. I wear things that show off my huge curves while also shaping me. Love tartan, Animal print and leather look, big boots, big high top trainers, hoodies. Jewellery and hats.
    Here are some stylish size brands to check out: Simply be
    Pink clove
    ASOS curve
    Lindy bop
    Collectif
    British retro
    Tesco!!!
    Sainsbury! !!
    Asda!!!
    Yours clothing
    New look.
    Ebay.
    M&S have got some great stuff in atm was looking last night online.
    Also looking at pininterest -plus size style or curve fashion might give you some ideas:)

spanglechick and Boudicca like this.
  23. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Bless you, but you have no idea about what might get an overweight 50+ year old noticed! This could work for a petite younger woman but that's frumpsville when combined with grey hair and a size 20 body.
    I'm in this territory already I think, just more effort required. I definitely look better in dresses but I hate tights, won't wear uncomfortable shoes and am not the right shape to carry off DMs.

I think the other thing we should
    do is dress up even if the occasion doesn't warrant it. Setting foot outside the house should be a good enough reason.

ice-is-forming, Looby and kalidarkone like this.
  24. Lupa

Lupa Well-Known Member

What about the DM shoes? They look good on everyone.
    I dont particularly like tights either so I wear black wool over the knee socks. I tend to wear dresses that are midcalf length and I dont have skinny legs ..

I think in my case though I don't actually want to be noticed. :facepalm:I mean I dream about Toast clothes and at the moment they are quite frumpy. Maybe I'm not the best to give advice. :facepalm:

25. Jennastan

Jennastan bloop

Apparently if you ride a bike people stare at you and the invisibility spell is broken. This is what I've noticed! :-p

Lupa likes this.
  26. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

27. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I'm size 20 and in my late 40s. I get almost all my clothes on ebay, with a spend limit of about £15. I particularly like Anna Scholz and some Boden or Monsoon stuff. The middle-aged woman invisibility cloak is powerful even with my often striking getup.

Lupa and Boudicca like this.
  28. campanula

Me too. I never wear black or white or use them in textiles or yarns. My dad was a painter and always insisted that black and white are 'dead' colours - use palest silver grey or charcoal or ink. Colour is important and powerful. I have seasonal crazes - last year, 'grellow' featured a lot while this year, I seem to have an affinity with tangerine/teal. In fact, orange has been up there, as a favourite for ages now.

29. Shirl

Shirl Brexit my arse

I hate the idea of fashion for older people, style is something different. By the time you get to fifty you should know what suits you and what you feel good in. Yuwipi Woman what's wrong with your black art student clothing?
    My advice if anyone asked would be stay away from Marks and Spencer.

Looby, moose and campanula like this.
  30. campanula

It's the 'hat/scarf/glove/jumper season...which means handknits in many colours. All worn at the same time. In my (unhappy) role of designer, the phrase 'less is more' was often on my lips...but I find 'more is better' is the most appealing option.

I don't really like buying clothes (poor and cheap), so take the 'wear till rags' option. However, I do attempt some sort of style through items I have made for myself. Used to be mainly hats, but gloves have been a thing too because my hands (and feet) are always cold.