Stuff to do in Brixton area with kids

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Brixton Hatter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

My little brother and his wife and two kids (aged 3.5 and 15 months) are coming to stay this weekend and given I'm not really down with the young kids I thought I'd ask you lovely people for some ideas of kid-friendly activities in the area.

I was thinking Brockwell Park new adventure playground - that's the obvious choice - and maybe Horniman Museum in Forest Hill a little further afield. Any other bright ideas please? I know there's lots of playgrounds around - any particular recommendations please?

I know Cafe Sitifis is child-friendly. Are these other cafe-type places local(ish) which would be particularly suitable for kids and wouldn't mind a pushchair and boisterous 3 year old (who thinks she's 4!) I can only think of the Florence....

cheers :)

2. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I quite like taking my nearly 3 year old to Brixton Village/Granville Arcade for eating as there's lots of indoor space to run around. Each parent has to take turns to do this of course.

There's always soft play in the rec if she really needs a run about. Got a little area for the 15 month old too. Playground in Brock Park will be good this weekend as it's going to be dry. You've already clocked the Horniman. Southbank usually has something good for the little ones.

That's about all I do, I am a lazy parent.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  3. nagapie

Oh and it's Herne Hill but Cafe Prov is good to take the kids too. It has a family section at the back with (very old) toys, which kids love.

4. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

5. Brixton Hatter

Rushy likes this.
  6. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Thimble Queen and Biddlybee like this.
  7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Definitely Hornimans, always my first choice.

8. gaijingirl

oh - cafes for kids.... The Lounge - baby changing and kids' menu is good - also it's reasonably spacious. Any greasy spoon - but these don't normally have baby changing (Sitifis doesn't either btw). Brixton Village does now have loos and baby changing - but not my first choice at the weekend tbh. All the park cafes are obvious choices - nicest food is on Peckham Rye although the pasta is Clapham is v. tasty - but pricey. There's always the Ritzy which has baby changing - although I'm not keen personally. Anywhere in Herne Hill is ok - but The Florence is a hellhole on weekends - way too many kids and very stressful. If the weather is good your best bet is outside at a park cafe tbh.

boohoo likes this.
  9. gaijingirl

oh and if you want to go out for a meal and can cope without baby changing - Turkish/Indian/Italian restaurants are great.. The Turkish in Camberwell, FM Mangal are fantastic with kids for example. The trick is finding somewhere that's kid friendly but not so kid friendly that it's like eating in a really badly organised pre-school! :D Some of my worst experiences have been at some of the most kid friendly gastro pubs - such as the Florence and The Herne (Peckham Rye) - occasionally we think we'll go for a treat and always regret not just going to the park/cafe/picnic... :rolleyes:

10. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

+1 for the Horniman (can get there on the P4 as you probably know). They have a good-value cafe there - OK food but exceptionally friendly & helpful service.

11. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Horniman food is good value. And around 7,000 menu options

12. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

loos and babychanging! where? even if about three weeks too late for me

13. boohoo

boohoo No.

They are right in the corner of the village.

14. boohoo

boohoo No.

Slade Gardens has a nice under fives playground. No baby change facilities near by (at all) but you can pop into the crown and anchor which we know doesn't mind small children

Myatts Fields Park also has a good playground. Has a kiosk for food and cake and there is a baby change/toilet in the park. You can always pop into the archives for their annual open day - and let the kids look at the children's library books.

Archbishops Park and Jubilee Gardens also have great kids playgrounds (all near the Southbank).

http://littlelambeth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/lambeth-whats-on-for-family-september_28.html

(This weekends events including something in central Brixton)

15. boohoo

boohoo No.

Actually Seven in Market Row has space for push chairs and high chairs for babies.

16. Mrs Magpie

I just can't say it often enough.
    HORNIMANS!

17. gaijingirl

oh yes... Slade Gardens is lovely now.

I'm going to be a bit of a turncoat and say that the Horniman isn't actually my favourite - I like the grounds but not as enamoured of the museum as everyone else it seems. Not to say I don't like it but I don't seem to be as in love with it as others.

18. Mrs Magpie

19. gaijingirl

I thought I had posted about parks..:confused: but second Myatts Fields (which really is lovely) and also Ruskin Park has a new cafe and a nice playground too - the Cambria nearby is nice for Sunday lunch if you don't want to do a cafe and not too overcrowded in general.

20. nagapie

I don't find the museum holds my son's attention for very long. And some of his friends run proper riot in it. Needs more interactive things to be that attractive to children. Maybe it will appeal more when he's older. But he loves the outdoor space and stuff.

21. gaijingirl

I'm a little more selfish...:oops: I think it's me that's the problem, as my in-laws take her there a lot I think. I'm just not the best at indoor things. I love the outdoor music events - especially the Christmas concert at the Horniman... I'll give the inside another go this winter no doubt.

22. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

Are you saying just because you like it, or because the name makes you giggle? Or maybe both?

23. Mrs Magpie

Oh, the first, didn't even think of the second. Every time I've been there with children, whether babies or school age, a wonderful time has been had by all. When I used to take disabled kids and their siblings on holiday playschemes they always asked to go back. It's just my favourite museum of all time for so many reasons.

24. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Kids entertainers in St Matthews Peace gardens today and tomorrow. Music and food stalls too.

25. Brixton Hatter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :)

We've just got back from the Horniman - it was great, first time I've been with kids.

The new Brockwell Park adventure playground is amazing - I wish we'd had stuff that like when we were kids. Musical steps to jump up & down on!

26. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

musical steps? :eek: :cool:

27. gaijingirl

they are fab.... 3 little wooden planks on the ground that go up and down like a seesaw and when you jump on either end they emit a musical parp.

gaijinboy and I may have somewhat monopolised them on Saturday trying to do "frere jacques" - until we were chucked off by some toddlers... :mad:

28. Brixton Hatter

there's also a flying fox, an array of different slides, swings and climbing things, a 'witches hat' and a weird little bowl thing attached to the ground which spins round & round and tends to confuse lots of kids!

29. madshadow

madshadow Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend baby friendly cafes around Brixton central and Herne Hill?

30. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

Brockwell Blend on bottom of Tulse Hill or the Lido cafe. You won’t feel out of place or self conscious in either of those places if you’re breastfeeding or baby is having a moment.