1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study to look into reopening Skipton-Colne railway line

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Feb 3, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh yes please!

Study into Skipton-Colne line reopening

History of the line: Disused Stations: Skipton to Colne Railway - Brief History

2. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

This would be great. Colne is a nice little place these days but stuck at the end of the line it feels really cut off.

3. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

There's been a group (or individual) campaigning quite noisily on this one for years, so interesting that it's finally getting some attention. Not sure it's the most deserving reopening from a passenger use perspective, plenty of old lines with greater population catchment, but arguments as a through route for freight might help. Going to have a look at the map now to see how clear the route is...

4. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

As always, how much will this cost and could the money be better spent on a really good bus service?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As ever, perhaps you should think why they're considering the expensive option of reopening a line instead of running a bus service.

6. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could enlighten me?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Trains are faster, more reliable, encourage business growth, take some of the congestion off overloaded roads and offer clear economic and environmental value.

The new age of the train

muscovyduck and Slo-mo like this.
  8. lazythursday

Buses and trains just aren't directly comparable are they? I sometimes visit both Colne and Skipton, and I'd likely take advantage of a train link between the two, but on a day out there's no fucking way I'm going to hang about at a bus stop and then buy an extra ticket which will likely be extremely expensive (bus prices in the north for short journeys are often more expensive than the train).

But more important than my tourist trip is the fact that it would make the towns of Colne and Nelson (which are really very deprived) commutable to places to the east like Bradford and Leeds

muscovyduck, Slo-mo and editor like this.
  9. lazythursday

Is there a recent example of a line reopening being a failure? Every article I've read has been quite the opposite - eg the Borders Railway, and the Tormorden Curve (the success of which has given more impetus to the Skipton-Colne proposals I believe)

muscovyduck likes this.
  10. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

You both make very fair points but a bus service that runs every ten minutes say has got to be a better option than a train twice an hour and once an hour on a Sunday?

And I agree about the ludricrous prices of bus tickets up north. I pay them every day! Not only do we need lower fares but more interoperability of tickets between bus, train, tram etc

11. lazythursday

Personally I'd say no - in virtually all cases the bus journey will be less comfortable, less reliable and take longer - I'd much rather wait for the train. The bus journey may be a decent option for a purely short local journey but not as part of a longer commute. The important thing about this bit of line really is those longer journeys - it's a missing link bit of rail track that would allow for different configurations of routes across the Pennines.

muscovyduck likes this.
  12. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Whatever.

13. legz

legz Well-Known Member

Each freight train that uses this route - this route will certainly provide another option for north-south freight which will benefit other areas further afield - means anything up to 40 less trucks clogging up a town centre. Kills the "wouldn't a good bus service be more viable" argument pretty easily

14. Dogsauce

'Buses every ten minutes' LOL.

It's the North ffs, and a relatively rural bit of it too. I don't think we even had an actual functioning ten minute service anywhere in big old Leeds. Two an hour most routes.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What bus service runs every ten minutes in a rural area? And if one did it would add to even more congestion and pollution.

And then there's the matter of freight by rail...

muscovyduck likes this.
  16. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

My point is (was) that with the money this railway is going to cost, a much more frequent bus service could be provided. Nicer bus stops with real time display etc

But I'm not going to flog a dead horse.....

17. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

A bus full of coal?

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A far slower bus service running on congested roads.

19. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

All political flag waving in a fairly marginal area - it is not re-opening , a new railway - there are minor issues of a by-pass at Skipton and Colne ,a flood plain and new route needed to get aound one of the intermediate station sites.

Zero freight potential.

Much better cases around - (like Leicester - Coalville , Newcastle - Ashington - hang one guys, these are old coal mining areas..not one of the most sparsely populated bits of North Yorkshire..)

Rosemary Jest and Slo-mo like this.
  20. Dogsauce

I'm assuming the potential benefit as a freight route would be in taking freight traffic off the main Leeds-Manchester transpennine route, although I suspect some already avoids this by going the Todmorden route.

Another point - there's no tunnels on the route, and it's already wired up from Leeds to Skipton. If they wanted an electrified transpennine route then this might be the easiest to achieve, although I suspect putting down twelve miles of new track would be substantially more difficult than putting wires through Standedge tunnel (in fact the latter might be relatively easy given they have two spare tunnels to play with).

I think davesgcr is probably right about this being political kite flying. There are certain closed lines including this one that have very vocal campaigns fighting for reopening, even though they probably aren't likely to be the most useful or economically viable routes - Penrith to Keswick and the Waverley route are two similar examples. A few million on a study makes it look like local concerns are being taken onboard, gets campaigners on side without making any commitment to construction. Then it can all be kicked into the long grass when the study comes back with a low cost-benefit ratio. A few consultants get rich on the way too.

Rosemary Jest, muscovyduck and Slo-mo like this.
  21. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

I’ve made this point before. This transport investment should be spent on some slightly nicer frames for the advertising posters on Crossrail stations. Not squandered in the North.