'Strictly no alcohol to be brought into games'

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by darryl, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

2. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

The kirin is probably just brewed under license in wales or bedford like asahi.

3. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Bang on

Scutta likes this.
  4. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Not had time to read all the comments on here but seems like a total dog's dinner here. Will comment on what I can. If its not done yet then should be display of what beers are available at the Token sales point so punters know what they are getting for their money. Defo need a cheaper alternative. Sounds like some of security was much more heavy handed than it should have been so that needs to be sorted out. Can I ask whether the chap who had his beer confiscated has inside or outside the ground as fans were given the option to drink any beers outside entering the ground or should have been. From what I saw of confiscated drinks, this amounted to a bottle of whisky, three bottles of wine, three glass bottles of ale and a box of various cans, probably amounting to 20 or 30 in total.

5. Griff_Turnstile

Like the idea of cider boxes which would work well on the outside bar. Couple ciders, couple ales, decent sized cans of posh and cheap lager. If the bar is buying stuff from Sainsbury's I personally would like to know why. One point why are scarf prices included amongst this as that is down to the Trust to set prices for those and address that question.

6. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

I was listing everything that's gone up and been mentioned, to be fair and unbiased. As it was mentioned on another thread by someone else. Not all of the other prices are set by hadleys e.g. burgers. As I said included everything that's going up and all the changes that add up to suddenly feeling like its taking the piss.

We are more like the guardian article since its been written.

editor, YTC, Tricky Skills and 2 others like this.
  7. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Lots of bags of booze were hidden in the bushes in St.Francis Park. Worth having a rummage just before the end of the next match.

8. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

My own experience...

2:30pm - get to bar, enormous queues. Nobody queuing for beer tokens, so walk right up and get three tokens.
    2:35pm - get to deserted outside bar. Buy pint of Edgar Kail. It's a bit cloudy, but drinkable.
    3:20pm - get second pint. Notice the cans of Estrella are being served unopened - toy with getting a can to save messing around with third pint, think better of it as it's poor value.
    4:00pm - can't get third pint because the beer's run out and they're waiting for the new keg. Offer to buy can of Estrella instead, but told I can't because I have an ale token.
    4:10pm - they're clearly struggling with the third keg and give up - I buy a can of Estrella with my (£3.80) ale token.

In short, an overpriced, poorly thought-through mess - one that makes me want to turn up with a can in my pocket next time. Stupid to have not thought through the time and preparation needed for ale kegs; stupid greedy pricing for cans, particularly with other cans effectively being sold for £2.50 each inside; stupid to have different pricing for ales/cans.

Could all be so much simpler, and so much more effective, and a good bit cheaper too.

9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Noy sure why anyone would bother serving ale from outside. Just sell cheap cans and bottles from outside for tokens sold for £2.

Then they can sell more expensive ale, spirits and lager in the bar.

Christian Burt, magneze, clog and 6 others like this.
  10. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

pompeydunc and Tricky Skills like this.
  11. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Because people like ale. It's popular and the queues are too big inside during the game. Makes perfect sense to have a second place selling outside.

12. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Except they can't do it right and the bar would be less busy if they sold cheaper cans outside.

13. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

Can anyone explain why they only have a couple of ales on at a time in the main bar and then another couple lined up for later? Are they worried that they'll have to chuck what's left in the barrel if its unsold and there's no Tuesday match coming up?

14. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Hope they don't put price of your popcorn up as well :)

15. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

If the token bar was run well and just cans, it would deliver volume and speed of a budget option. Slinging unopened cans, all at the same price, is about as fast as you can sell anything. As soon as you start having to serve/pour drinks, you've lost the chance of meaningfully cutting the queues, and there's no advantage to using the outside bar.

If you make the outside bar an attractive, speedy, cheap option - then ale, spirits and wine drinkers will be the only punters troubling the proper bar. Trying to offer ale downstairs is the worst of both worlds.

16. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

This^

17. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

18. otzenpunk

otzenpunk Well-Known Member

dream_f03c15b29c.jpg

girasol, Joe K, clog and 4 others like this.
  19. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

20. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Or two queues properly signposted... One for cans only and one for cans and ale. Simple. Also proper division of labour. Some people just pouring / splitting cans and others serving.

Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

The ale looks like what would come out of a heavily polluted river near an industrial complex in China.

5.jpg

Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  22. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Pint of Ganges, mate. Varansi's finest. :eek:

editor likes this.
  23. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

As an ale drinker it would be 'awfully nice' (as Sgt Wilson might say) to have ale available at the outside bar, but it just means more barrels have to be tapped in total if they're being sold from two separate locations, and any unfinished barrels won't keep for the next game. If I was that keen to drink during the game I'd still be OK with a couple of 500ml bottles (poured into a plastic cup) or cans from the outside bar, then enjoy the proper stuff in the clubhouse afterwards. And as already pointed out the less discerning drinkers wouldnt' be clogging up the clubhouse during the game and at halftime anyway, so you could probably get draught ale in there much more quickly without having to miss much of the action.

darryl and spanglechick like this.
  24. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Or pour the ale from bottles.

25. clog

clog she seems to like to nitpick and moan a lot

anyone would think you were a manager...

Cyclodunc likes this.
  26. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I've never worked in a pub or bar (save beer festivals) but the suggestions being made on improvements are so bleeding obvious to me. Hope they get implemented.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  27. GregDHFC

GregDHFC Well-Known Member

I sent a message to the bar manager through the website, and got an impressively quick response this morning. He certainly made all the right noises about listening to fan feedback and changing certain things. We'll have to wait and see if improvements are made!

28. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Thank you.

29. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That's what worries me. As it happens I am an experienced barman, but I was actually thinking only last night that anyone who regularly drinks in pubs/bars, but has never even worked a shift in one, could have planned it better.

darryl, clog, Cyclodunc and 1 other person like this.
  30. Griff_Turnstile

One thing that has occured to me about the token sales point is whether there was anything to indicate what the buyer would be getting? A pint speaks for itself but was there a display of drink in cans on sale to give purchasers an idea of what they'd get for their money?