'Strictly no alcohol to be brought into games'

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by darryl, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

No there was nothing mate.

YTC and Pickman's model like this.
  2. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

If there was I didn't see it.

3. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

I thought there was a board saying what type of beer i.e Estrella, Kirin cans but I can't recall if it noted the size.

darryl likes this.
  4. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Missing off the size was crucial. You would assume at least 500ml, if not 568ml (1 pint) for 3.50, but it was actually a 330ml...which then rather shocked people when they went to exchange the token. This equates to 6.02 a pint if you are wondering!

YTC likes this.
  5. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

Cheers, think if people had an idea of what they were getting for their money at the token sales point this could have alleviated a some of the grievances.

6. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

They wouldn't sell many at that price if punters knew what they were getting

YTC and Thimble Queen like this.
  7. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Surely the simplest and most straightforward thing would be to just have all tokens @£3.50, and only serve pints or 500ml cans from the pop-up bar? Hopefully the licensing technicality that currently prevents cash sales being allowed from this bar will be resolved soon and the tokens will no longer be required. And if real ale is going to be served from there it needs to be racked up and tapped at breakfast time at the absolute latest, preferably the previous evening. (Some ales 'drop' much quicker than others.) You can't just lug extra casks out during the game, then tap them and serve it immediately - anyone working a bar who doesn't understand that shouldn't be unleashed upon the paying public. (Or, as suggested earlier, order 'bright' beer.)

pompeydunc likes this.
  8. Scutta

Scutta Live Fast Die Bizarre

£3.50 is too expensive for a can.
    £2.50 at the most! (and i still think that is too much) there needs to be a value option for during games. (not in the bar before or after tho). And I bet if it was £2 people who brought their own stuff in would pay for as many as they would bring in at that price. And end up making quite a bit more.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  9. Pink Panther

Perhaps simplest to serve only cans from the outside bar at a flat price?

10. ftg6

ftg6 Member

I'm surprised people aren't more in arms about the booze ban. From reading the first couple of pages it seems a lot of people are under the impression that if you can't go 90 minutes without drinking and/or aren't prepared to pay extortionate prices from the bar then you have a problem.

I personally am pretty gutted about the whole situation. I'm between jobs right now so can't really afford several lots of £3.50 for 33cl of shite beer. For months I've been bringing in a couple of cans from Sainsburys (for roughly £1 each), drinking them, enjoying the game, and disposing of them in the bin. Maybe I have a problem in that I actually like to have a couple of drinks during the game (I'd argue against that statement, but whatever), but I really, really enjoyed the freedom of going to a place with my friends where I can have a few drinks, have a few laughs, and cheer for my team. And now that's gone.

I understand them not being happy at broken glass on the floor. I get that. In fact, I'd argue in favour of ban on bringing glass in, if that's what they would have proposed in the first place. I also understand them not being happy at people bringing in entire crates and getting tanked up. I personally think each to their own, but if they were to implement a '4-can or 1 bottle of wine limit per person' to curb this behaviour (with the wine decanted in a plastic bottle), I'd be perfectly happy with that. And finally, I understand them nor being happy with people bringing their own drinks into the bar. Ban that from happening.

But the fact of the matter is, after someone left broken glass on the floor they've now banned all drinks from entering the ground, and charged frankly ridiculous prices for small cans. Call me paranoid, but it seems to me they've used the glass as an excuse to find a way to filter more money from us, whilst making the whole experience less enjoyable, given that they now expect fans to queue for half an hour in an overwhelmingly crap system; which, as some have said above, can result in people missing goals. Through my time at Dulwich I've never missed a goal whilst sipping a can, whilst I've certainly missed goals queueing for drinks in packed bars at other grounds.

YTC, Thimble Queen, Scutta and 3 others like this.
  11. ftg6

ftg6 Member

On another note, was anyone actually frisked going into the ground? My friends bag was checked but I was expecting a pat down and received nothing (not that I wanted one like!). Were we one of the lucky ones, or are they not searching for cans hidden in pockets?

12. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't think anyone at the club has mentioned the glass have they (or anything else actually). My guess is that the ban was always going to come in once the outside bar was in place. I'd also say that although they could point to a few things as the reason the underlying main one is going to be licencing and planning permission, which is going to be Hadley's main priority over everything else. All sorts is going to be chucked around once the planning process starts and if the NIMBYs can accurately point to people bringing in shitloads of booze then that could easily create a problem.

Pink Panther and clog like this.
  13. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Where are they buying the booze from? Being charitable for a second: are they tied into a specific supplier, which might be charging stupid sums for cans? If they are, they need to look elsewhere, and quickly.

salem and Scutta like this.
  14. SDE

SDE Well-Known Member

I'm hoping and assuming my bottle of tomato juice won't ever get tested?

15. Dodger

Dodger Active Member

I don't think they're tied as such, but I think they get most stuff (except the stuff from late Knights) from Charles Wells which obviously won't be as cheap as Sainsburys.

16. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I don't really think that's the problem tbh. They've basically totally cocked it up as far as I can see. I do think they'll improve it next game both in terms of what they're selling and how it operates. Maybe not to the point some people are asking for though.

17. Scutta

If harrow can put on rum cask cider for £2.70 - with fuck all punters (comparatively) we can do something for that sort of price.

If not something is wrong or they dont want to. which in either case is shit.

clog, YTC, takkforalt and 2 others like this.
  18. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

See East Thurrock fans complaining about cloudy beer at champion hill

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  19. Cyclodunc

Out of interest, why wouldn't trade prices be cheaper than supermarket ones?

20. Cyclodunc

21. Pink Panther

It looks like a typical example of allowing everyone to enjoy themselves by taking a liberal attitude, and sooner of later the irresponsible minority (i.e those ignoring the 'no glass' rule or bringing cans in by the crate) have spoilt it for everyone. I also discovered from a member of barstaff yesterday that people have been bringing their own cans into the clubhouse. That's just taking the piss when it gets so packed, taking up space so others will be unable to get in and put money over the bar in there. The expensive 330ml cans are that price in the clubhouse, so I don't suppose the club is deliberately using it as an excuse to fleece people, but I don't suppose many people buy them at that price when there's draught lager available by the pint for similar price.

I assume there was no draught lager in the gazebo bar, in which case people who normally drink pints of lager will be inconvenienced when they can't get cans of approximate pint size, and even more annoyed when a can equating to just under 3/5ths of a pint is £3.50. Just source some suitable large cans and sell them at less than the clubhouse price for a pint.

I think it's also a very valid and relevant point that the club needs to be seen to be acting responsibly regarding the ground redevelopment proposals. We don't want to give the nimbys and ammunition if we can help it regarding breaches of licensing regulations or large numbers of pissed people dispersing after games and annoying the local residents.

Dulwich Mishi and Scutta like this.
  22. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

this may be a bit of a red herring, but here's a wholesale price list that includes Estrella Damm in cans:

Beer in Cans

adding 20% for VAT, it works out at £1.11 per can.

Scutta and YTC like this.
  23. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

Had a good chat with Shaun this evening (bar manager), following a lot of feedback from Trust members (and other fans). Shaun is aware of the issues. They have been made very clear on this page! Changes will be made, so watch for news on the official website...

clog, Lucy Fur, Pink Panther and 7 others like this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Good men!

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  25. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Thanks PompeyDunc

26. Scutta

Great to see their listening and responding I think that's all fans want.

Thimble Queen, YTC and Pink Panther like this.
  27. Pink Panther

Yes, I'm sure there are some valid reasons why some of the suggestions and criticisms on this lengthy thread simply can't be actioned or addressed to everyone's satisfaction.

The whole matchday experience at the Hamlet has evolved so rapidly during the last five years or so. The clubhouse is the same size as when crowds were in the 200-300 range, so obviously it's going to get chaotically busy at times. The trend for people bringing their own booze in for during the match evolved, the club took a relaxed attitude to this, and it also helped alleviate congestion in the clubhouse without upsetting supporters, even if maybe the club wasn't maximising its own potential revenue - the philosophical attitude being that we were pulling in new people who wouldn't otherwise have come, so some of their money is better than none if they don't turn up. Even two seasons ago our average league attendance was under 700 and we didn't get a 1,000+ crowds until the final day of the season. This season's average is nearly double that figure from just two seasons ago in the same division, and every Saturday home attendance bar the Trophy tie with VCD had been at least 1,300 since the end of August. If those figures keep rising without any regulation of 'bring your own' drinking it could get completely out of hand and the atmosphere could become a bit unpleasant for the non-drinkers, especially families with young children.

We don't want Conference style ground regulations if we can help it, but our crowds are now on a par with many Conference National sides, and greater than anyone in the Conference regional divisions bar Maidstone and FCUM. Even if the Conference ground regulations remain excessive, there are good reasons why at least some of them are in place.

Realistically, if you're hosting events with crowds of 1,000+ on your premises and you have an alcohol licence, you probably need to have a bit more caution about allowing people to bring their own in. I doubt many other venues hosting crowds of this size, whether it's sporting venues, music venues etc., would be as accommodating as DHFC has in recent times. Of course when you've allowed this for some time, then start clamping down, it puts people's noses out of joint.

AndyDHFC, Scrooge, clog and 6 others like this.
  28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

who's adding the vat?

29. Pink Panther

It's certainly a lot more complex than just knocking out large quantities for a slight mark-up on wholesale price. You can get cask ale for the equivalent of around £1 a pint at wholesale price, but the biggest mark-ups for pubs and bars are on soft drinks, especially post-mix, i.e. draught lemonade, cola etc. The most pertinent fact on that linked list is that 500ml cans of Carlsberg are available for fractionally less than the 330ml cans of Estrella. So just have 'cheap & cheerful' options like that for the gazebo bar. The 'craft beers' like Four Pure and Wild Beer taste much nicer, but are more expensive, and that's not what most people will want.

30. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

My BIGGEST bugbear as a soft drinks drinker is that-practically everywhere-when you order a soft drink you get half a glass of ice!
    It's frozen water, so my drink of, for example, orange & lemonade, becomes extremely watered down...

Would you want half a glass of water 'topping up' your pint of beer? I think not!

And, if a drink does need cooling, surely one or two bits of ice would be sufficient, bearing in mind most pubs/bar dispense with their lemonade/cola out of a pump that is cooled anyway. Grr!

blueheaven and Pink Panther like this.