Street Art and the Leake Street Tunnel

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Guineveretoo, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Guineveretoo

Guineveretoo Mostly bewildered

Last week, the Leake Street Tunnel was closed for "rehanging", and has now reopened with a completely new set of graffiti. There is hardly any of the stuff from the "cans festival" left.

Well worth a visit.

I just wish I had remembered to bring a camera to work, so I could get some pictures before it gets tagged.

2. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Yep they asked new artists to create works and this time didn't limit to pure stencils so there's a lot more freehand stuff

3. Guineveretoo

I don't think it was all limited to stencils last time, although it was supposed to be. But yeah, there is some really arty stuff this time. No banksy, as far as I can tell :)

4. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Popping down tomorrow after work to take some pics as a mate has a piece there.

5. Guineveretoo

There are still cars there, too, unlike last time, when all the "installations" were removed.

6. Guineveretoo

7. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Fantastic :)

8. LadyLDN

LadyLDN Well-Known Member

Nice pics Guineveretoo :)
    I'm heading down there on Saturday to have a look and take some pics - update on what I saw the last time I was there. Good to hear that the cars are still about.

9. Guineveretoo

I am afraid it is not as good as it was. The cars have been almost completely smashed, and most of the wall paintings have been tagged. The tunnel is littered with broken glass from the cars.

10. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

Are any of the original East 17 stencils still up?:D:D:D

11. Guineveretoo

The what?

12. boskysquelch

boskysquelch Banned Banned

East 17 fans were the first...

a lickle bit of stencil art history...there used to be quite a few down thar abouts....and very little else but tags. :D

13. Kameron

Kameron Kamoceratops

New Brixton Banksy (new this morning I think)

I couldn't be bothered to start a new thread so I'm jamming this in here.

Banksy - monkey with love on Brailsford Road.

14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

15. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

I could rant at length about this but it is quite apt that on the 50 year anniversary of Paris '68 & the explosion of situationist propaganda and sloganeering ( which lets face it, for the average consumer of this stuff, there would be nothing for them to gorge upon without the situationists, whatever we think about them) , we see another big step into the monterisation of graf with leake street. but with viet street food and £12 killer cocktails. and probably a hipster coffee bar and barber combo.

a mile or two down the road, 3 young uns were killed doing their stuff

It is a dark and sad juxtaposition.

civic approved street art is a grotesque and unwieldy, spoilt bastard mutant. We should never stop kicking its bloated corpse

/ ends

spitfire likes this.
  16. not-bono-ever

your experience may differ. please read the T&C.

17. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Does the development affect the graffiti tunnel at all? Do they have to change the way they do things?

I go in there with Mini Fire when we got to House of Vans for her skateboard lessons. She loves it. I have enough £12 cocktails and Viet street food round me to beat the band so it won't be for me. We'll go for the skating and the graff and that will be it.

18. not-bono-ever

I think the tunnel is still open, the arch spaces are the focus of the development.

I am a miserable bastard I know.

spitfire likes this.
  19. spitfire

spitfire Toast

I’m guessing it’s in the bit that currently hosts epic antipodean piss up The Church. I don’t see much else going on there so it hopefully won’t affect the graff crew. /optimist

20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Or is it the bit that’s theatres and event spaces?