Streatham news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 15, 2016.

1. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I've not been in and seen any of the regulars I know since I spotted the notice. I put it out on Twitter and had a few people say they're gutted but also some people say its a good thing which has narked me somewhat.

sw16er likes this.
  2. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

Not surprised, I often hear plenty of people complaining about the pub...especially people that have never actually been in there :rolleyes:

3. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

I know plenty of people like that. Whoever runs the twitter for the Leigham Well said "as a real Streatham pub I say hooray". I hadn't realised the Tringham was an imaginary pub...

4. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

quite like the Holland Tringham, surprised it would be let go by Spoons.

5. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

They don't own it, they are only leasing the building.

6. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Spoons have been disposing of loads of their pubs recently. they are trying to get rid of one in Mitcham as well as the Crown and Sceptre

7. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

No doubt they have the financial clout to extend the lease it if they wanted to

8. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. Depends if it needs a lot doing to it - its forever leaking if there is heavy rain. The Crown and Sceptre needs something like £2mil spent on it to get it to a reasonable standard which is why they're looking to sell it.

9. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

It's a real shame about the Crown and Spectre at the top of Streatham Hill. I have always had a soft spot for that pub. I am by no means a regular, but do pop in from time to time. It's a great pub to go to when the weather is nice, I popped in there on Saturday. Always a good mixed crowd in there.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

sw16er likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That page has the biggest sponsor logos known to man.

lang rabbie likes this.
  13. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

I am quite looking forward to checking this place out. I like that it is a truly independent arts space and that they seem to be making a concerted effort to put on local talent.

From the pics I have seen on Instagram, it looks like a really nice space too.

It will be interesting to see how varied their programme is once they get fully up and running.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll start listing them in the Lambeth Weekender too.,

OvalhouseDB and sw16er like this.
  15. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

To appease Streatham Nationalists on this thread- the *victim* of this crime was from Streatham.

The guilty duo were from Mitcham and Carshalton.

16. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Having chipped in the princely sum of £50 as a Crowdfunder for two free tickets and a tin badge, I was invited to last night's party.

It is looking pretty good now that the fit out is almost complete. The main "black box" theatre space is ready to host most kinds of event, and the studio space opening onto the bar and foyer looks flexible for music gigs - it might need a bit of fine tuning of the acoustics through a bit of extra wood and soft furnishing.