1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streatham news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 15, 2016.

1. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

I could! I never really have that possibility in my mind. Good idea. I am excited by a Bauhaus influenced Aldi!

2. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I must go back soon. I had the kids with me the last time and they were running around like lunatics so I couldn’t enjoy it properly. I did manage to get a load of reduced stuff from Waitrose yesterday though so I don’t need much grub.

3. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

You may be slightly disappointed!

But yes, the new Aldi is certainly much lighter and airier than the Streatham Lidl - which is always a thoroughly soul destroying space with queues whatever time of day or night you visit.

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's by fsr the cleanest, tidiest and airiest of all the Aldis (and Lidls) I've been to in this country. It reminds me of the Lidls you see in the Continent (well, Spain at least), which are so much bigger and better stocked than those here.

sw16er likes this.
  5. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

It is disturbing to learn that an as yet unnamed 19-year-old young man was stabbed to death this afternoon in Hopton Road near Streatham station and pronounced dead at the scene at 4.39 p.m.

Condolences to his family.

6. sw16er

sw16er New Member

Yeah it's sad, I have just been reading about it on the Evening Standard website. It was pretty much in broad daylight so to speak.

There has been a bit of trouble around that part of Streatham for a while now, IIRC, there was a couple of stabbings round there in the Summer, well one of them was on Madeira Road I think which is off Hopton Road.

7. chillum86

chillum86 Well-Known Member

Really sad, ironically 2 mins away from where they just closed a police station.

lang rabbie likes this.
  8. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

It seems the stabbing wasn't in Hopton Road, and the instant commentary on it being part of a broader pattern of street crime are misplaced. The stabbing happened inside a house, and the victim stumbled out into the street.

Still makes it an awful, tragic end to a young life.