Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumour and general chat

KatyF

It did get better for a while but seems to have gone downhill again. Don't mind it for a quick pint but I have low standards.

In other pub news, Chalkpit has closed. Not really a great surprise.

editor

hiraethified
It did get better for a while but seems to have gone downhill again. Don't mind it for a quick pint but I have low standards.

In other pub news, Chalkpit has closed. Not really a great surprise.
Oh, my standards can go pretty low too - I hate shiny pubs - but it was the kind of the boozer that if you look even slightly different to the in-house geezer look, you'll get unwelcoming stares from the bonehead locals. I imagine homophobia is a look away and it's the kind of pub that bedecks itself in Ingeeeerland flags at the slightest excuse. And the interior is bleak and soulless too. Awful place.

editor

hiraethified
Just in

Streatham MP Bell-Ribeiro Addy appointed to serve in shadow cabinet

Streatham MP Bell Ribeiro-Addy has been selected to sit on the Opposition frontbenches as the new Shadow Minister for Immigration.

She replaces former Lord Mayor of Manchester, Afzal Khan MP, in the role as part of a mini Labour reshuffle that sees party leader Jeremy Corbyn preparing for his last three months as Leader.

As Streatham’s MP, Bell represents one of the most diverse boroughs in London with a high proportion of migrants. According to local government statistics from 2016, 38% of Lambeth residents were born outside the UK and 150 different languages are spoken by families across the area.

Herself the daughter of Ghanaian migrants, Ms. Ribeiro-Addy has been a consistent and outspoken supporter of migrants’ rights. As the former Chief of Staff to Diane Abbott MP, she helped expose the Home Office’s wrongful deportations of Windrush citizens and helped compose Labour’s new immigration policy.

Earlier this week she joined protests in Parliament Square, calling on the government to support cross-party legislation to enshrine the right for refugee family reunion in its EU Withdrawal Bill. After the Conservatives voted to scrap the amendment with a majority of eighty, Ms. Ribeiro-Addy tweeted:

“The way we treat the most vulnerable people in our society says a lot about our values and priorities. This government is shutting the door in the faces of refugee children. They’ll do the same to others looking for help and support.”

Announcing the news, leading Windrush lawyer and Streatham resident Jacqui Mckenzie tweeted:

“Really excited that @BellRibeiroAddy, MP for Streatham, has been appointed shadow immigration minister. Bell has been a leading advocate for people affected by the #Windrush scandal and other immigration hostilities. Congratulations Bell.”

KatyF

Seeing reports on Twitter of a stabbing then shooting on the High Road. Road all closed off and all sorts of rumours flying around on social media.

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I went past Streatham Hill station about half hour ago and saw police blocking the road. I thought it was a road accident or something like that. Christ.... :(

BusLanes

Pedestrian
Looks like the road could be shut for a bit. Last time something happened, when that guy was murdered on Brixton Hill it was a good day of being shut.

jimbarkanoodle

Got a couple of mates who live in the old Police Station, this incident was basically outside their window, and the countries media are outside their door. Bit too close for comfort.

nick

Pleomorphic Adenomas R us
Tfl consultation on altering the A23 between Sternhold Avenue and Holmewood gardens was started today

link to tfl

Nice to see on the before and after images that they have managed to get leaves back on the trees

nick

Pleomorphic Adenomas R us
I like the proposed raised ped crossing by holmewood road - it might slow down the racers launching themselves down Brixton hill, or at least damage their suspension

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
This would mean I would actually ride my bike into Streatham. Right now it'd feel like suicide. Big thumbs up.

The Northern end at Holmewood Gardens feels like a bit of a botch job.
  • Narrowing the road to two lanes like that will jam the buses up in the morning.
  • There is a mixture of light control and zebra crossing. IME, these mixed-mode crossings cause confusion and conflict between pedestrians and cyclists. The whole crossing should be on lights control.
  • Southbound cyclists in the bus lane have to merge with traffic before being allowed to turn off into the cycle lane. The cycle lane should be a continuation of the bus lane and buses should be forced to merge.

1581461955043.png

There's acres of pavement space on the Western side to fit something better in. I drew up a version that maintains three lanes (2 NB, 1 SB) and has a staged crossing for NB cyclists based on the well-designed crossingon Farringdon Street just South of Holdborn VIaduct:

1581462088920.png

OvalhouseDB

I think the re-positioning of the bus stops around Telford Bus Garage is good.
But something needs to be done about speed between the Christ Church Rd Junction and where ever the traffic queuing for the lights at the bottom of Leigham Ct Rd / the S Circular starts. Drivers treat it like a dual carriageway. Crossing from Telford Avenue to go South is lethal - speeding traffic, 50 mph not unusual, a slight curve in the road and a brick planter full of tall dense weeds and you cannot see what is zooming along in the third lane.

Smick

Strictly Second Class
I think the re-positioning of the bus stops around Telford Bus Garage is good.
But something needs to be done about speed between the Christ Church Rd Junction and where ever the traffic queuing for the lights at the bottom of Leigham Ct Rd / the S Circular starts. Drivers treat it like a dual carriageway. Crossing from Telford Avenue to go South is lethal - speeding traffic, 50 mph not unusual, a slight curve in the road and a brick planter full of tall dense weeds and you cannot see what is zooming along in the third lane.
I’ve never known anywhere to have so many yellow signs requesting info on a fatal collision. There seems to be a permanent sign, moving back and forth with different details as more pedestrians are killed.