Streatham news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 15, 2016.

1. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Oh I will!

Gramsci likes this.
  2. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

600 to 700 people at the Streatham Labour selection - which is pretty impressive

Gramsci likes this.
  3. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

And Bell Ribeiro-Addy won it by a head

Gramsci likes this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Good result the left candidate won.

The two New Labour Cllrs who stood failed- good.

Casual Observer and twistedAM like this.
  5. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Looks like a busy day today - Libs and Labour out in force in Tulse Hill. Also, apparently the Tories delivered a leaflet to at least one street, according to a friend who got it.

6. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

It is currently not entirely clear what the Conservative Party parliamentary candidate, Rory O'Broin, a corporate lawyer who works on a wide range of corporate finance and private equity transactions for an international insurance company, intends to do for residents of the Streatham parliamentary constituency, based on his published views:

"Cllr Rory O'Broin

Rory believes Wandsworth is a great place to raise a family, and loves living here with his wife and two young children. A member of the borough’s Safer Neighbourhood Board, he values community safety and wants Wandsworth to remain London’s safest inner London borough. Rory has also served as a primary school governor and supports work to improve local transport and infrastructure. He is excited by the Conservative campaign to light up Wandsworth Bridge"

Source: Wandsworth Conservatives, Fairfield, a few moments ago

[​IMG]

Rory O'Broin
    He'll do his best ... for Wandsworth?

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Rory can fuck right off

8. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Well since our last Wandsworth Conservative councillor and PPC for Streatham left for Battersea, we've clearly been in the market

9. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Saigon Bistro in Streatham Hill finally reopened as Viet Fusion on 30th October.
    Viet Fusion.jpg
    I missed the "soft opening" 20% off deal that ended last Thursday :mad:

10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

That's a masterstroke - for those older voters who remember when Streatham was in Wandsworth. Back in the 1980s and 1990s that's all you got from voters in Streatham. Why did they put us into Lambeth? They don't pay any council tax in Wandsworth etc etc.

Mark you there can't be many like that left alive.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    BusLanes likes this.
  11. lang rabbie

I think it is pretty clear that Streatham Tories are not making a serious effort.

Streatham Conservative website 3 Clapham Common.PNG Streatham Conservatives website.PNG
    Their website does not appear to have been updated since 2017. It still shows Bernard Gentry as a councillor for Clapham Common ward.

Attached Files:

BusLanes and editor like this.
  12. AB__

AB__ New Member

I had someone ring the intercom at 7pm and say "Hello, my name is Phillip and I'm here to talk about breast cancer".

I asked him what was it about breast cancer that he wanted to discuss. He said, "I'm here to talk about the rise in breast cancer in the area". The intercom then cut out and he didn't ring again. I found it all a bit weird... in particular at 7pm in the evening.

What do you reckon... scammer or chugger?

BusLanes likes this.
  13. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

That is amazing.

They literally have an office and apparently a paid borough organiser who presumably works out of that office so what have they been doing for the last two or so years in between elections?

lang rabbie likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag member

Conversely, I am sure my MP, Marsha de Cordova lives in Lambeth, possibly Sreatham!

BusLanes likes this.
  15. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Well she councillor in Vassal or Stockwell so I guess she must live some where in Lambeth

16. lang rabbie

In further Streatham Hill culinary news, a posting on the old Facebook account of Addommé - the good if a bit pricey former pizzeria/trattoria on Sternhold Avenue opposite Streatham Space Project- reports that they have finally transferred the place to new owners.

Someone was in there tonight doing a deep clean and re-decoration, so hopefully re-opening is imminent.

BusLanes likes this.
  17. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Although I guess paid staff and an office isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Labour has a new office near my house and I've received one leaflet from them in recent weeks.

Apparently they canvassed my neighborhood about 2 months ago as there was a photo of their councillors on Twitter mocking the Lib Dems.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

19. hash tag

hash tag member

longest high street in Europe is some claim.
    Fwiw macs opened in Tavistock, did not get used much and later closed down. :):thumbs:

BusLanes likes this.
  20. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Are there any hustings for the elections. Info seems hard to come by?

21. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Yup later at the Hideaway -maybe 26/11

DJWrongspeed and Casual Observer like this.
  22. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Do you have a link for that or any related info? Already know who'll I'll vote for but might nip along for the amusement.

23. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

same owners?

24. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

No, saw it on Twitter, sorry

25. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

This place has closed. The food looked good, but you can't be charging Monte Carlo prices in Streatham. Soon to be replaced by... er... 'Maks Burgers' who are kicking things off with a '200 burger giveaway' - presumably not all for one punter.

editor likes this.
  26. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Presumably not vegan either.

27. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

I was just wondering today if the Greens were going to start campaigning in Streatham anytime soon as I haven't had any leaflets from them, or seen them wander about, then today saw two people cycling down Tulse Hill Road with Green Party flags so I guess that satisfies that then.

28. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

BusLanes and Casual Observer like this.
  29. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Also apparently they were at Streatham station today

30. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member