Streatham news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

2. Casual Observer

Streatham has its first vegan restaurant (well, takeaway to be more precise). It's at 3A Mitcham Lane, just off the High Road opposite St Leonard's church. Opened a couple of weeks ago.

This news is so hot that their website hasn't been updated yet but you can download a menu at: Vegan Express – Your choice for health

That's where I'll be going if I'm too lazy or pissed to cook for myself.

EDIT: Looks a bit pricey though.

BusLanes likes this.
  3. editor

editor hiraethified

Blimey yes. Cheapest burger with chips £12, cocktails £9.50. Brixton prices!

http://www.veganexpress.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/VE-main-menu.pdf

4. ash

ash Inittogether

Any ideas of good places to eat in Streatham
    about 4.30 on a week day? Last time we tried Adomme we weren’t impressed ?!

5. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

If you want to stay Italian then Bravi Ragazzi or Italian Bistro (formerly Azzurri). Perfect Blend has good burgers. The new Chalkpit place is good but not the cheapest, but be aware that the food comes in 2/3 portion sizes (as does the beer), so order accordingly. I was disappointed by Bar 61.

6. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

Im guessing the food and beer doesn't come in at 2/3 price though

7. ash

ash Inittogether

Thanks I’d forgotten Bravi Ragazzi never been but heard good things so will try there.

8. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

This place has changed hands a few times IIRC. Not been down there for a couple of years.

They do / did a great Sunday lunch down there a few years back...very pricey...mind you it was great quality, non of that heat up the microwave type affair...it was freshly done, well it was on the two occasions I had it.

9. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

A bit of a Hipster haven....decent-ish Pizza's though.

10. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

:D Nah...very expensive!

11. sw16er

sw16er Active Member

Christ....very expensive...

I'll give it a go at some point though....

12. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Video on twitter just now of a flipped car blocking southbound lane of the High Street, by Edith Cavill Surgery. Not sure if anyone hurt

13. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

The traffic update says no one was hurt. And that it was a two-vehicle incident. Pretty spectacular damage. The road people were out repairing the road behind the upturned vehicle, and part of the central reservation is demolished. No idea what happened but I find it hard to imagine flipping a big heavy BMW 4x4 at 30mph.

BusLanes likes this.
  14. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

At the Chalkpit. Seems ok and about 40% full.

Beer is ok but as said elsewhere, pricey

15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

It's alright. Food portions are small for the price, but tasty. It is expensive.

One member of staff was a bit of pompous prat, but the rest were good.

16. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Streatham Twitter is following an incident in the JD Sport by CEX/opposite the Odeon. All rumours so far but someone has mentioned acid attack. No confirmation but someone said the manager had something thrown in his face by someone caught stealing

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  17. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Apparently 2-3 fire engines, several ambulances and loads of police cars of varying types

18. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Anyone heard any more about this?
    Just saw another suspected acid attack just now in Wimbledon somewhere

19. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

20. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

Are there public toilets on the Common? My friend says there are and they're by the playground. I don't recall seeing them, but I tend to be further up the Common when I'm there.

21. discobastard

discobastard edited

By the Rookery Cafe as I recall (you can see them in the picture on the Rookery Cafe homepage). But I can't guarantee that they are open. Imagine they would be if next to the cafe.

22. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

There are toilets both by the Rookery cafe and by the playground at the bottom.

KatyF likes this.
  23. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

I see we are, once again, represented by an Independent MP

24. ifeIOPPN

ifeIOPPN New Member

Ed says: No, no, no. One more spam like this and you'll be gorn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  25. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

BusLanes and Winot like this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

28. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

YMMV, but I think £10 for 10 hours including 3 bands and the profits going to upkeep seems reasonable.

Anyone know if you can buy tickets on the day? It clashes with Pride, so will have to see what time we get back from the march

discobastard likes this.
  29. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

His analysis has always been shallow. I don’t think he’s very very well-informed, but he does have “passion”. I reckon he needs to go and do a proper job for ten years and he’ll come back brilliantly.

30. Casual Observer

The refurbished Woodfield Pavilion on Tooting Bec Common is re-opening tomorrow. All sorts of activities are taking place... music from a steel orchestra, a local history talk, another talk on local medicinal plants, some ukulele gubbins, yoga, archery, vegan grub for sale, locally made honey for sale, an exhibition by local artists etc. etc. Many of the activities are free. More info on the link.

GRAND OPENING

BusLanes, gaijingirl and blameless77 like this.