1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streatham news, rumour and general chat

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Feb 15, 2016.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Chukka's getting down with the vibe:

And some background reading for Chukka whose Tory proposals seek to destroy opportunities for musicians in his borough.

No Money, No Space, No Time: How London Has Forced out Musicians | NOISEY

*I did search for a Streatham news thread but couldn't find one

2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Does the library still provided recycling bags and are they open on Saturday morning?

3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

4. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Yes.
    Unsure how lucky you will be with recycling bags - they were real short.
    Best bet is to call and ask them to put a roll aside for you.

Greebo likes this.
  5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Cheers. Thanks. Have emailed them.

6. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

They have them in the garden centres down Croxted Road and the one next to North Dulwich Station too.

Greebo likes this.
  7. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

We had a load delivered about three weeks ago but when I am short I go down to Olive Morris House when I am passing through Brixton and reception give you some. If I have a bit of time spare in Brixton I usually call in so keep a stockpile now, just in case society collapses and they become in short supply or something shit happens.

Nanker Phelge and Greebo like this.
  8. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Ah, thought you meant the paper green waste ones. If society collapses, meet you at the White Horse?

Greebo and Fingers like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The new development in Streatham High Road offers everything you need:

5.jpg

#completewank

ViolentPanda and Greebo like this.
  10. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Very highly paid job to pay for it all? If not, epic fail. :(

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Greebo likes this.
  12. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

I rang and enquiries as to how much a two bed apartment was, and the salesman asked ME
    " what do you think these apartment should sell for"
    I said errrr about £280,000, the line went quiet and he said they start at around £550,000, that was about 9 months ago.

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

So how much profit/income do they reckon you get on a buy to let net of mortgage interest then @ £550,000?

I've got an auction catalogue regarding a property in Coldharbour Lane. It is evident that auction guide prices these days are purely on the basis of rental yield - so maybe these Streatham off-plan luxury flats are sold in the same way?

If you haven't seen it I do commend this article RIP Streatham Megabowl: The Sad Story of a Long Goodbye | VICE | United Kingdom

The façade of "London Square" looks a bit ropey at the moment. Like they have preserved a couple of pillars for the sake of the Streatham Society, but they are cracking up anyway.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Mr Bim of Bar

Buy to let market in London is now shot to pieces, there is no yield on a new build apartment in London

15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

So surely the prices should start to decline? Or are there still plenty of people able to afford £550,000 for a flat in Streatham Hill - to live in?
    I guess we may find out more on 16th July when they "launch".

Greebo likes this.
  16. Mr Bim of Bar

I really don't know where the money comes from, could be the bank of mum and dad, but I guarantee you that these apartments are prob already sold, I live in Brixton Square and I'm the oldest fart in here, flats are being resold for £650,000-725,000 and on the market for a week and some 30 year old has moved in.

Greebo and CH1 like this.
  17. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

I've been in streatham 20+ years. Never seen as many Porsches as the past two years. Even a fucking Lamborghini on sunnyhill road.

Loads of the houses near me, that are currently divided into flats, are being hoovered up and converted back to family homes and for sales at Hamptons International, too classy even for foxtons now.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  18. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Streatham isn't going to hugely change - it's big problem is the very very long high street. It's not easy to shop.

19. Greebo

I disagree with you about that, as long as you can use the bus. You just need to pick the stretch with the shops you need the most.

twistedAM likes this.
  20. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

That whole strip was what gave the place its character. Generations of Londoners knew it. Luxury apartment-ised.

CH1 and Greebo like this.
  21. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I like shopping in Streatham - I don't find it a problem. But I think lots of people get put off by it's long stretch.

There is a posh food shop opened on Leigham Court Road - nice products if you can afford it - have a feeling that he might not be there in a year or two. Probably needs to market himself a bit more.

Greebo likes this.
  22. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I was walking down Branksome Rd the other day - it's an ordinary terraced street running south off Acre Lane. In a row were a Range Rover, a Mercedes SUV and a Lexus. They had local parking permits too so not visitors.

23. BigMoaner

flash cars, unless tehy are REALLY flash, don't signify much ime - you should see some of the run down hovels with flash cars outside round my way!

24. Greebo

I just wouldn't bother to shop on that bit - Kingscourt Ave to Streatham Common covers most of what I get.

boohoo likes this.
  25. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Where is this? By the row of shops near Kennedys?

26. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

yes

Greebo likes this.
  27. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Loads of flash cars on our road now too.

28. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Never noticed that. What's it called? Doubt it will pull me away from the Mediterranean Bakery though.

29. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

But then there is a mindset amongst the young where a car is a status symbol. Growing up a few (tens of) miles north of london the first thing people bought on leaving school was a wreck of a car that they then customised. These days credit is cheap - people live at home and sink their credit rating into a nice car. It is an attitude i see prevalent at work - why buy a second hand functional car when you can lease a newer shinier one?

30. BigMoaner

True, no arguments there