Stewarding / security work

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by salem, Mar 1, 2018.

1. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Thinking of taking on a some extra work in the evenings and weekends and was thinking stewarding might do the trick as I'm after something that isn't sat in front of a computer or mentally taxing. Was thinking festivals, events, sports etc.

If I could clear £200 / month I'd be happy.

I'm not at all someone who likes to get involved in trouble or to be a cunt so not sure if that's going to be an issue.

Is it worth getting an SIA - looks to be a few hundred quid but potentially a bit extra per hour - worth the hassle? Is the work you get as a badge holder more likely to be the rough stuff?

Any tips on who to contact or avoid?

Any other ideas welcomed!

2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat for the workers' breakfast

quite a few of the train companies (or their contractors) have casualish weekend staff to help out with rail replacement services. can be occasional weekday evening work, but not that often, and can be a call out thing when the shit hits the fan.

some people go into this with a transport background, but not everyone.

having a car helps, as you can cover a wider patch - and also you tend either to need to get there pretty early or finish fairly late.

where are you (geographically that is)? i may be able to give a pointer or two. PM me if you'd prefer.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  3. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Ah thanks. I had a mate who was doing that and ended up with a decent permanent job on the railways before long.

I'm in Haringey.

4. Puddy_Tat

OK - I'll make a few enquiries. That gives a few options - the Thameslink / Great Northern patch, Overground and Greater Anglia...

5. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I know a couple of people who do stewarding etc. They got their SIAs through stewarding for CAMRA (CAMRA needs SIA badged volunteers for bigger festivals, so will pay course fees for regular stewards) and now do all sorts of extra stuff on a casual (but PAYE) basis - Twickenham, private dos, big public events - they both find it handy extra cash.

The impression I get is that an SIA badge does open a lot more doors for better work.

Neither of them do "doors" or get involved in "rough stuff". Maybe give the job a try and see before committing to the SIA fees.

6. sovereignb

sovereignb Well-Known Member

Depending on which company you work for (and there are loads) you can work alot of really interesting events.
    I have been doing it part time for the last 2 years. Since my full contract came to an end in January I been cracking in the hours...id rather do so then signing on, though I obviously want a full time job soon.

Regarding SIA, I personally don't think its worth it unless you want to do it full time. I've heard current SIA guards say this...for all the stress that comes with it (at events and paying/renewing your license), its not worth the extra £2 an hour you get. You do get access to a lot more work than stewards though. If your confident and know how to banter with people, stewarding can be fine and could easily clear £200 a month, in London at least .

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  7. Puddy_Tat

salem

just to say i've not forgotten about this - i've been off work ill for a few days this week, so not been able to talk to one or two people who will know

will get back to you next week

8. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Thanks, don't stress it ! And here's to your good health :)

9. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

are you up the ladder?

10. TheInsider

TheInsider Well-Known Member

I would offer up the following: as a steward, you may end up finding yourself on pitch side at a football match. We've all seen how that ends at the moment. A lot of companies will take you on, help fund the NVQ, but the pay is poor and conditions are the same. As for the SIA, the cost of the course and the cost/wait for the licence will probably not see you working for a few months. Festival season is coming up, the hours are long and hard, the pay is basic. You will earn as much by working in retail to be honest, with far less drama.

I am an SIA trainer, and at the moment the sector is not looking healthy. Welfare conditions are dropping off, standards of staff and companies are equally tailing off. A lot say they will get the badge, then not work on a door - and then someone asks them for a favour and there they are, confronted with drunk, coked up idiots who want to fight because you won't let them in. At least with the badge you are getting paid slightly more than the bloke at the football as a steward who gets the same abuse for a lot less.

Having said that, there are sometimes roles such as overnight statics, where the pay is ok-ish, conditions slightly better. Plenty of groups on Facebook offering work for you, but be aware of the people who don't get paid, etc. It's rife. If you want to occupy your weekends, look for a static overnight role - then look at funded L2 courses you can do when you are sitting overnight watching fences, cameras and wandering out on patrols. It can be quite a social job, but it's getting less fun and more risky these days. Whilst you might be comfortable and capable, bear in mind that the bloke/girl you are working with may be someone that runs at the first sign of confrontation.

Have you considered care work at weekends? Pays £9 an hour and up in some places...