stephen lawrence centre has its windows smashed

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by bluestreak, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

2. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

Some great vox pops on BBC London news

"yeh, but like, it can't have been a racist attack cos there's lots of black people who live round here too"

Genius.

:(

3. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

That Scuba car looks wicked!!

4. salem

salem Well-Known Member

£15k/window :eek:

Obviously a terrible act but it can hardly help community relations when they build something like this where poor kids of all ethnicities live and then state that it's there to "improve the educational achievements of black and ethnic-minority students"

Why make statements like that? I can't see any benefit and it just hands propaganda into the hands of the far right.

5. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

'black and ethnic-minority students' - fuck, don't i hate that term. more exclusive than inclusive. :mad:

6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Good point.

Probably was racially motivated but I remember when I lived in Eltham and the plaque thingy there was vandalised and it turned out to have been a mixed race fella with mental health problems if I recall correctly so I'm not jumping to conclusions.

7. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Who knows if its a racist thing but its pretty tragic nonetheless.

Wouldn't it have been a little wise to have invested in some decent CCTV if you're going to have 15k windows though?

8. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

The £15k per window sounds like a classic Daily Mail/Standard philistine approach to assuming that anything artist designed is worth the artist's latest auction price.

9. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

10. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone post tenebras lux

No proof it was racially motivated. Could have just been youngsters throwing stones. Happens a lot in London.

11. muckypup

muckypup yes

I've come to accept that state funded 'race relations' is about alienating the indigenous population and fueling division. theres no inclusivity to it. no unity.

12. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

People are cunts.

13. muckypup

muckypup yes

I like to believe, that in an equitable society people behave graciously and where there is inequity then indeed people are cunts.

14. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

Hopefully it's just me reduced to hopeless profanity by current events, but FUCK me.

Regardless of his race or colour Stephen Lawrence was a glowing example for working class lads or lasses in being a solid student determined to make a career for himself beyond his origins. This lad was going to study law, and left alone to do that by now he'd have been a cracking example of how chasing education is the way to make a better society for the lot of us.

To have a centre, named after his memory, attacked on an annivesary of his death is beyond coincidence. It's the epitome of both ignorance and racism and as such it's an attack against students regardless of racial group in their drive towards qualification and a better life.

15. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Very true. There is a lot of inequity about. :p :)

16. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

This...

17. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

I hate vandalism. Hard to tel if it's racially motivated, my guess is it's just some local drugged-up chavvy teenage scumbags who saw this nice new shiny building and thought they would have a pop at it. I doubt they even knew what it was or what it represents. Just mindless vandalism, ie becasue it's there, lets smash the windows.

I think politicians and others are jumping the gun a bit here tbh, calling it racially motivated.

This bit annoys me:
    " Borough Commander for Lewisham, Ch Supt Alan Pughsley, said: "I have decided the incident will be treated as racially motivated because of the iconic status of the building which has been subject to previous acts of vandalism whilst being built."

Loads of building get attacked while they are being constructed, the flats where my mum lives had windows smashed while it was being built, and others around here have had the same thing happen.

18. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

I've read this six times now and all the words make sense individually but I still have no idea at all what the Stephen Lawrence Centre is for.

19. dessiato

dessiato Mele Kalikimaka hauʻoli hou makahiki

Why is this vandal attack any different to the vandal attacks on a BLESMA hall, or a British Legion? Surely this should be condemned as a vandal attack, unless there is some hard evidence that it is a racially motivated vandal attack? Why the presumption of racism?

20. Rutita1

It was done on the anniversary of his death, to start with...

21. potential

potential Well-Known Member

front page news eh ???? windows broken in depford.

22. muckypup

muckypup yes

Sounds very much like the centre exists, in a very narrow sense, to further the ambitions of those capable to climb the economic ladder. It seems to have very little to do with the wider community and how people from all backgrounds can come togather to build a community one would be proud to part off.

Its very sad when success is defined purely in economic terms and in relation to an education which for many is not accessible or even desirable.

23. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

IIRC he died in April, not February.

24. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Especially given the section of society doing worst in education is working class white boys.

Anyway can you lot make sure you spell Stephen Lawrences name properly? It's "murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence".

25. Rutita1

Don't shot the messenger, it said it in the article in the OP.:)

26. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

1. Vandalism in Deptford...:hmm: obviously it'll be racially motivated, cos there's never been vandalism there before

2. 'This lad was going to study law'. No, he was going to study architecture, which is part of the thinking behind getting award-winning (TM) black architects and artists to design and fit out the thing

3. Those windows could easily cost £15K each

All that aside, it's sad that something good in a deprived community gets treated this way full stop

Posh community hall with a bias towards urban planning ideas and free/cheap space for local artists and small creative industry type businesses.

27. TopCat

No it didn't. It said it was the anniversery of the Mcpherson enquiry that asserted that Stephen died as a result of a racist attack.

28. TopCat

Given the awful depressing state of much of Deptford's housing and schools you could fortell this place was not going to go down well with many residents.

29. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

There's a great architect's house just off the Creek road end of the high street, but it's protected by giant fuck off steel gates which is what I'd describe as a sensible appoach to putting anything that modern in Deptford!

For the record I lived in Deptford for a year in halls and while it's not the nicest bit of London, I really liked it so this isn't a bash the poor comment..

30. Rutita1

Okay, I sit corrected.:)