Help Starter Camera

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Ponyutd, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Ooohh, how do you know that!:thumbs:

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

That looks like a nice wide view, was that your 18-55?

3. Ponyutd

Yes it was.

4. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Photos have metadata embedded in them, called EXIF. It includes the camera make & model as well as info about the shot settings.

Ponyutd likes this.
  5. mauvais

6. Ponyutd

7. Ponyutd

8. Ponyutd

Just realised I can't shoot in raw. How much will that be a drawback for a beginner?

9. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I'd be surprised if you can't but it's really not much of a drawback at all. Don't listen to all these photography twats on the internet who say YOU MUST SHOOT RAW ALL SERIOUS PEOPLE SHOOT RAW, it's bollocks.

Grace Johnson and Ponyutd like this.
  10. weltweit

Aha, well raw does give you the maximum opportunity for post processing and usually the max opportunity to get the most out of your pictures. But you do need to post process.

There is no harm in shooting raw or shooting jpeg, as long as you realise what you are doing. When you are starting out there are a lot of things to learn. What do you want to learn first?

Ponyutd and mauvais like this.
  11. weltweit

Ponyutd likes this.
  12. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I thought they all said YOU MUST SHOOT FILM, ALL SERIOUS PEOPLE SHOOT FILM. That's equally bollocks. You can take good photos on anything that will record an image. It all depends on what type of photography you want to do. I wouldn't shoot a football match on a phone, no matter how good the phone's camera was. And I probably wouldn't take my Nikon to a rave. But for landscapes I'll shoot RAW every time, and probably from a tripod as well.

And Ponyutd if you have a D3500 then you can shoot RAW if you can find the right setting.

Grace Johnson and Ponyutd like this.
  13. mauvais

RAW is the ideal for most stuff; high volume shoots excluded, perhaps. You can correct bigger errors and generally get more out of your photos.

But like weltweit says, it means you need to post-process (PP), and PP is a whole extra skillset.

You can probably set your camera to capture both at the same time. If so, do it. You can store and come back to the RAW files when you know more, and you'll get better results, possibly in multiple iterations.

I suggest you give it a go, but don't worry too much about it for now. If you're taking photography seriously, rather than just something casual with limits on how much you care, then it's something you should aim to get comfortable with. But you'll get fine images without, and you may feel that there are other things to concentrate on first, which is perfectly legit.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Ponyutd likes this.
  14. Ponyutd

Just jumping in and out of different things to be honest. I came across a setting that did not allow me to shoot in raw. Today I used both together, jpeg and raw.
    Two shots at once when I download the card. Interesting!
    Still finding my way round, watching videos, reading, and taking advice from here of course.

Thank you all for chipping in, appreciated.

15. weltweit

Ponyutd, I would advise, if shooting mainly jpeg, you choose jpeg fine - max jpeg quality.

Grace Johnson, Ponyutd and mauvais like this.