Star Trek TV series(es) - general discussion of the franchise

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by danny la rouge, Apr 1, 2018.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

This thread is because I have caused the Netflix thread to be overrun with Star Trek chat. I'm both a long term Trekkie and a newbie, and wanted to discuss my new findings. Let me explain:

I was a big fan of Star Trek (TOS and to some extent TAS) as a kid. When the films came out in the late 70s/80s, I lapped them up. I have TOS and the TOS films on DVD (and the TOS films also on VHS). But when TNG came onto the scene I refused to watch. I didn't want it to ruin the world I'd invested in.

But last year, under peer pressure from my (all younger) siblings, I finally started watching TNG on Netflix. At first I thought it was terrible; all my fears had been confirmed. Season 1 was terrible and season 2 was mostly poor. But gradually the odd decent episode appears, and I become invested in some of the characters and their relationships. First of all Data, especially the episode Measure of a Man (though he was later over-used in "comedy stories") . Then the Borg episodes came along. They were great.

I hated Q and all the Q stories. And I thought the last season had run out of steam. And some of what I had thought of as canon was trampled on a fair bit. And I have lots of notes about inconsistencies around the replicators. But I grudgingly accepted it as part of real Star Trek.

Now I'm on DS9. I'm on season 1, and it's not grabbing me yet. It has a different feel. Not surprisingly: it's static for a start. The theme music reflects that (and is in fact terrible). And the story lines are more soap-like: there's more about interpersonal drama. This is an observation, not a criticism, except that it's not working for me yet because none of the characters have so far grabbed me. I find Dax bland. I don't like Dr Bashir's "acting". I'm not convinced by Sisco. And I think the Ferengi having centre stage is a big mistake (I thought they were a badly misjudged species even in TNG). I'm hoping that the middle seasons will win me over, like TNG did, but so far I'm struggling. I'm told it gets better, and people on here (B.I.G) suggest it's better than TNG eventually. So I'll stick with it.

It was my intention to watch all the series(es) in order before starting on Discovery. But people are telling me Voyager is poor. That and Enterprise had escaped my consciousness until 2017, so it'll be no loss to me if the consensus is give them a miss.

Anyway, this is a thread for general discussion, for shouting at me for my ignorance/opinions, or for recommendations and observations.

I'd prefer not to read spoilers, but I accept that for everyone else these series(es) are decades old and I'll go with the flow on that.

Make it so.

T & P and maomao like this.
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I hated ds9 and sisko's acting at first also, but it really grew on me. By the time the Dominion war rolls around either he'd improved or I'd started to 'get' him. The actor is playing a very tightly controlled man, and one with not much room for tomfoolery and jokes. As for cief obrian well its great to have him there. Ltter on theres some sort of love triangle involving him, his wife and kira nerys. Its was tedious as fuck and I don't know if there was a threesome. Off screen but in the fiction so to speak.

Wait till Quark's shit of a nephew turns up, you'll love that.

Odo is more than the data-replacement you might take him for and has an interesting story. As does Jadzia Dax.

Theres an episode where the crew (some of them) go back in time to the enterprise, straight to the tribbles episode. I mention it because dax looks very very good in the older style of uniform.

oh, there is Gold worf in this. Both worf the warrior and LOL worf

3. danny la rouge

Good. I like Worf.

4. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

Voyager begins poor but gets it feet when the Borg are introduced,

Some good double headers in the later series

5. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

DS9 was probably my favourite of the lot, like all the ST's it hit the odd bum note but for the most part it was really good, it always played by its own rules and had a darker and grittier tone than TOS or TNG.
    Voyager I never really took too, there is the odd good story but most are meh, the only character I really liked was The Doctor.
    Give Enterprise a chance, like TNG it took time to hit its stride but unlike TNG it got chopped just as it did. The pilot was promising but the first couple of seasons it kind of floundered, S3 it got going with the Xindi war and S4 was excellent with some really good episodes.

CNT36, agricola and danny la rouge like this.
  6. DotCommunist

as much as I dump on voyager it does have its momentI like the Maquis, both in concept* and because chokotay has excellent face tatts

* you can tell that shits pre-9/11. Morally sympathetic terrorists? not today.

any episode where Janeway was in holodeck oirland tho, kill me.

Ax^, krtek a houby and danny la rouge like this.
  7. DotCommunist

8. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Voyager was my favourite version of Star Trek. But then, I’m no obsessive. I struggle to remember that many storylines and I’ve hardly seen anything more than once.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  9. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

the year of hell episode were cool

red from the 70's show being the evil protagonist rare out for that since robocop

:thumbs:

10. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

also seeming as danny has just watched TNG did you notice rikers inability to sit down properly in a chair

:hmm:

11. Scaggs

Scaggs following seagulls

I enjoyed Discovery so much I downloaded Enterprise and watched it all through which was hard work at times. My favorite versions were TNG and Voyager. Hated the deep space shit because I don't like the alien masks. I know there were a few in Discovery, especially the daft Klingons, but can't wait for new episodes.

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. DotCommunist

while the books are by and large god awful hackwork this is a nice quartet that covers all four treks:
    Star Trek: Invasion!

CNT36 and danny la rouge like this.
  13. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

DS9 is my favourite franchise though I agree to all the criticisms given. Especially about the Ferengi!

I was and am still in love with Julian Bashir and am angry that Gaius Balthar from Battlestsr Gallatica stole his performance.

It does have the worst Star Trek episode ever (the singing one :mad:) but also one of the best over all the franchises "The Visitor" mainly due to Tony Todd's stellar performance.

Oh and Garak is great in everything he does :D

The Visitor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) - Wikipedia

14. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

They all seem to start slow, it's the prime directive or something. New crews don't get along, and early seasons focus on tensions between them or their struggling to adapt to their new circumstances, and consequently not much else happens. Early aliens/worlds are usually terrible (e.g. the planet of the scantily-clad teenagers where Wesley is condemned to death for stepping on the grass in TNG or "Move along home!" in DS9). VOY, for all of the problems with the Kazon, at least had the Vidians in the early years. With ENT (which I admit I haven't seen anywhere near as much as the others) I got the impression they knew pretty much where they were gonna go from the outset, they just took too damned long going about it.

15. danny la rouge

Yes, I complained about that in the Netflix thread. It's the worst thing ever!

16. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

It would help if I knew what TOS / TAS / TNG etc meant

(not a treckie but I do enjoy watching most of them)

17. Nine Bob Note

TOS. The Original Series, or A load of old... Put down the rose-tinted tricorders.
    TAS. The Animated Series. Of dubious canonicity and often forgotten.
    TNG. The Next Generation. The Picard and Data Show, with added Worf.
    DS9. Deep Space Nine. The battle of two Siskos, with Space Nazis.
    VOY. Voyager. A much weakened Borg allows them to keep the carpets clean.
    ENT. Enterprise. Start with an imaginative title and work from there...

MickiQ and danny la rouge like this.
  18. DotCommunist

is the official shorthand for the new one DISCO then. Because it should be

19. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Apparently it's because what's his name had some kind of back problem.

20. danny la rouge

The cinema ticket stubs for the TOS film, the Undiscovered Country said "Star Trek VI: the Undisco". I kept the stub because I thought that was funny. My band at the time did an Undisco tour and had T Shirts made.

So I think DISCO would be fitting.

21. danny la rouge

He said the set chairs were all very bad for his back and had no lumbar support. He always sits to one side on the seats on the bridge because there's a hole where your spine would go.

emanymton likes this.
  22. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

aye i know but once you seen it you cannot unsee it

not a bad morning for discussion of trek

just watch best of both worlds on Scifi

:cool:

23. danny la rouge

So, why doesn't Quark replicate gold pressed latinum in the replicators?

24. Nine Bob Note

Latinum is either too complex or unstable to be replicated.

25. danny la rouge

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Never watched Star Trek and feel like I am missing something?

existentialist likes this.
  27. danny la rouge

You are: Star Trek.

Supine, krtek a houby and Badgers like this.
  28. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

DS9 seems to have aged the best of all of them, or maybe its tone fits in best with our benighted times. Plus Garak is the best Trek character of them all.

:D

emanymton likes this.
  29. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

STD was already taken.

30. Nine Bob Note

Trufax (I've posted this before, but as this thread is taking off): Andrew Robinson, as Garak - the greatest supporting character Star Trek has ever seen - was instructed to play gay for the first season. All those breakfasts with the good doctor, he'd have prefered were served in bed.