1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by DotCommunist, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Were there only 3 seasons? it seemed to last for the whole of the 90s

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

7 seasons, the first two were terrible. It only picked up when Roddenberry was less hands on! Go figure.

It didn't get picked up by the BBC until 1991 or something like that, but which time the states were on season 4, the only way to watch here before then was to rent the VHS tapes.

There should have been an 8th season, but they decided to go with making films instead.

agricola and Orang Utan like this.
  3. Orang Utan

Just checked and it was made between 1987 and 1994. Must have been repeated a lot here in the 90s then as it always seemed to be on on Monday nights in my skunk/student years

4. cybershot

Argh, you posted before I edited my post to include that vital info, so I'll post it again:

It didn't get picked up by the BBC until 1991 or something like that, but which time the states were on season 4, the only way to watch here before then was to rent the VHS tapes.

When Sky picked it up, they went crazy with daily episodes.

Orang Utan likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think I've got episode 6 coming up. It's got to be better than the deeply average stuff I've sat through now.

ruffneck23 likes this.
  6. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Yeah, it was shown four years behind the UK so was on through most of the nineties.

7. cybershot

I think I felt like you at this point, episode 6 in my book is not great either, however episode 7 is brilliant, and has nothing to do with the actual plot of the whole series... Go figure. It's a proper episode of Star Trek!

The last two episodes are good too, and leaves a nice cliffhanger for January.

Looking back I can see how the series is probably not good for the binge watcher. I'd probably have given up myself if I was binging, yet watching it weekly made those bad episodes enough of a distant memory to watch it again the following week and be mildly excited about it, just because it was Star Trek!

ruffneck23 and editor like this.
  8. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It seems a small miracle TNG managed to pull it off. I would imagine hardline Trekkies would have been apprehensive about a sequel to TOS, and I suspect the first episodes would not have allayed their fears. But it certainly got better and batter as the seasons progressed, and imvho had better stories overall and was more gripping than TOS. Also, Picard.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OK, so episode 7 was actually like a proper Star Trek episode - the sort of thing that Kirk would have been involved in. Much more fun.

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

*warm feelings*

Vintage Paw likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

Heh, I remember going to a fancy dress party in those days and I was totally lazy about it, so purchased a Mars Bar on the way, placing it, still wrapped, on my forehead, when asked who i'd come as

12. DotCommunist

see, you were flagging at the same point I was. Its 'star trek chance' and nostalgia credits were running low, but the time loop one does the job. This klingon stuff needs putting to bed tho. Such a wank idea to have them wearing masks. Or what might as well be masks for all the face movement you get

13. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Apologies if you've seen this already, but if not here is a very good documentary called "Chaos on the Bridge" (on Netflix) specifically about the goings-on during the first two seasons of TNG. A flavour of it:

(clip changed)

krtek a houby likes this.
  14. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw "Ride me sideways" was another one

Definitely worth pushing through to the mid-season finale I reckon

15. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat

4 eps in and I like it. Great leads and looks impressive.

T & P likes this.
  16. krtek a houby

17. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

18. krtek a houby

19. Omaplata

Omaplata Ex Lurker

20. Orang Utan

21. DotCommunist

he hasn't made a good film since Jackie Brown but all the same I'd love to see him have a go

22. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Cloo likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Still way too much BATTLE! WAR! EXPLODING SPACESHIPS! and far too few Picard-type intellectual ruminations.

24. krtek a houby

Ruminations are so 90s. Battle! War! etc are very much the zeitgeist. :p

25. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I don’t think Lorca is the philosophical type tbh :D

26. gosub

gosub ~#

Have a :( rather than a like. (not disagreeing)

27. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Remember when a hostile ship would be threatening the Enterprise and Picard would instantly arrange a meeting in Conference Room 2?

28. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

the one in "Ensign Ro" is the best one of those

29. krtek a houby

Just finished it - looking fwd to the next 6 eps. I liked the cliffhanger, I'm thinking
    stuck in the Delta Quadrandt
    or
    the mirror universe as hinted at in the thread

30. Omaplata

Omaplata Ex Lurker

I remember the glory days! When Den of Geek did a 'revisiting' series on ST:TNG each episode had a 'Time until Meeting' and a brief description of said meeting. Good old days etc.

Revisiting Star Trek TNG: Datalore