Standalone interesting political articles thread

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by J Ed, Oct 28, 2017.

1. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

Thought it might be good to have a thread for when you read and want to share an article about politics but it doesn't really go anywhere or doesn't justify starting its own thread.

Thought this was interesting.

Nationalize the Pubs

2. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

Thing is, as wonderful as leather seating, pub food and a better choice of games are, there were downsides to that era of government meddling that are still unfortunately present when they have absolutely no need to be.

For example, I rarely if ever drink spirits in pubs. Why? Because you get absolutely fucking ripped off. For three pounds or more you get this tiny little dribble of fluid that could barely lubricate a teetotal rat.

Whereas in Spain, they actually fill your glass up.

3. camouflage

camouflage perspective is the essence of wisdom.

Yup, pint of rum please bar-worker, and be quick about it.

4. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic cnut, & all round knob-head.

It was, thanks for posting it. :thumbs:

5. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

SaskiaJayne and J Ed like this.
  6. J Ed

The Soviet Hippies

7. J Ed

The Making of an American Nazi

Fascinating story, much in it is personal to the individual but it is interesting just how much overlap there is with many on the far-right and indeed Islamist terrorism - history of abusive misogyny, online radicalisation, drug-taking and alienation.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

9. MightyTibberton

MightyTibberton Well-Known Member

Yoiks! Interesting and sobering read, thank you for sharing. I've seen the "lost boys" theory referenced elsewhere in regards to young mass killers (both ISIS recruits and mass shooters). I buy it. I can't recall anything much in the way of ideas to stop these young people from going down that path - other than saying they should go to college, get a job, get married, have kids...

Sometimes the internet terrifies me.

10. Libertad

Libertad Man of Steal

crossthebreeze likes this.
  11. J Ed

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017/11/progressive-neoliberalism-trump-beyond/

12. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Well-Known Member

ska invita and MightyTibberton like this.
  13. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

DotCommunist likes this.
  14. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Well-Known Member

15. J Ed

How Obama Destroyed Black Wealth

Well worth a read, might be some clues in here about depressed black turnout in 2016.

NoXion likes this.
  16. J Ed

17. DotCommunist

paywalled here. You're supposed to get some free articles per month apparently but I never do with the FT

18. J Ed

I would paste it, which is what I should have done to start with, but I have hit my limit as well.

19. J Ed

Marco D'Eramo: Geographies of Ignorance. New Left Review 108, November-December 2017.

20. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

One for the brexit thread. We could even do a map of the most ignorant places in the country.

21. J Ed

Yes, there is something very uncomfortable about the way in which he describes the upper-middle-class experience which requires far more disposable income than most have as somehow a universal one, clearly not many sixteen year olds have visited four continents. Still, I thought the article was interesting, he is describing a very real phenomenon and it seems plausible enough to me that the sort of process he is describing must have a huge effect on identity formation for liberals who find it so easy to dismiss the majority of people who they share a country with.

As far as a map of the most ignorant places in the country, according to this maybe we should be starting with places like Cambridge and Brighton?

22. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Bristol and london too. Btw d'ermao write that great piece on populism for the NLR. He also did a scorching review of the liberal's fav on populism - Jan-Werner Müller - book on the same. Behind a paywall but i've put it here. Both deserving of being on this thread.

mather, J Ed and seventh bullet like this.
  23. camouflage

camouflage perspective is the essence of wisdom.

24. J Ed

The Tropical Trump: what the rise of Jair Bolsonaro means for Brazil

25. yield

yield zero

The Man from Red Vienna by Robert Kuttner. 21/12/17
    Review of Karl Polanyi: A Life on the Left by Gareth Dale

26. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

27. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

redsquirrel likes this.
  28. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

A good article on the life and work of Murray Rothbard, one of the nasty pieces of work who have helped shape our world as it is now:

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-forgotten-man-ganz

(I don't think the piece mentioned that Rothbard believed it should be legal for parents to sell their children, for money)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  29. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

30. DotCommunist

after seeing yet another Gary Oldman as Churchill advert (really, Gary Oldman? is he inna fat suit?) I read this

The Real Winston Churchill

J Ed and seventh bullet like this.