"Stand up to mencap" Bristol, 27.10.2018

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by BristolEcho, Sep 29, 2018.

1. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Mencap recently went to court to overturn the decision to pay workers minimum wage during sleep in's.

Traditionally workers have only been paid on average £19-£30 a night for a sleep in. The courts ruled that this should still be considered working time and so workers should be paid an hourly rate for this.

Mencap went to court again and successfully overturned this decision.

They pleaded poverty despite making record profits, and used well paid actors/actressess to promote their own agenda.

Care and support workers are an easy target. We believe that Mencap were misguided in their attack on low paid staff. Come along to raise awareness and make a noise.

"ref"%3A"3"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"%7D&aref=3&ref=notif_textonly

Nigel, Voley, crossthebreeze and 6 others like this.
  2. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Let’s not forget their contempt for their ‘service users’ and their families

Danny Tozer

3. MadeInBedlam

4. MadeInBedlam

5. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Yeah the company I work for are glad the ruling got overturned too, fuckers. Night staff not so pleased.

6. BristolEcho

Agree. We have someone currerntly writing about this at the moment. I'm not a fan of Mencap at all really.

Not surprised. I do wonder if private companies have given money to Mencap to fight it. The idea being that a "charity" will be less likely to be fought against. I think it's unlikely, but something I've been thinking of recently. We are hoping local organisations will pick up on it and do their own things too.

crossthebreeze and MadeInBedlam like this.
  7. BristolEcho

The pressures should have gone to government and local authorities not staff.

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  8. MadeInBedlam

This is good. Let me know if I can help you get in touch with service user/carer activists.

9. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

TBF my employer is a charity too and they're glad because they "can't afford" to pay the fair wage themselves. I understand their PoV but at the same time they could be doing more to get funding authorities paying a fair fee for the services we provide (since that constitutes most of our income as a provider)

10. BristolEcho

I will message you directly. I have some experience of fighting bad practice, and I've been thinking how we can encourage/support people to speak up.

Exactly. The fight should be against the government and local authority. It's easy to say "we just can't afford it" and then take money from already underpaid staff. Instead it's literally a race to the bottom with services undercutting eachother and trying to offer more for less. Which usually results in front line workers being the ones that suffer.

SpookyFrank and MadeInBedlam like this.