St George Wharf Tower rises in Vauxhall

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 17, 2012.

1. vauxhallmum

vauxhallmum had to scrap the cheap car

:(:(

2. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Theres actually council housing in there, and some housing association bits. Admittedly only about five of those have a river view, but still.

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The Riverside? I made the mistake of ordering a peroni in there once. Never again. It is over the road to the most expensive penthouse in London too (the top two floors of that building on the north side of Vauxhall Bridge)

It's actually been fifty floors for a while, and the fitting out of each level seems to be going on at a snails place - glazing is taking about a month per floor, and the infrastructure for the 46 - 50 is only slowly taking place. You can actually hear the workmen talking / shouting from about 150m away for some reason.

4. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

There used to be the Market Tavern in there. A rather seedy gay pub. Oh, happy days...

5. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

[​IMG]
    THIS is what the site owners would like to happen

6. editor

editor hiraethified

Perfectly in scale with the surroundings.

7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Interesting, if thoroughly fucking depressing, article in the Guardian today about the fallacy the tower has become.

Politicians condemn 60% foreign ownership of London skyscraper

I've passed it many times after dark and have always wondered if anyone was living there at all, since the overwhelming majoirty of windows are permanently pitch-black.

Greebo likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

It's a truly depressing read and no doubt there's many other developments around London equally empty.

T & P and Greebo like this.
  9. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

IS this the building that got hit by the Helicopter?

Greebo likes this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

Yes. Questions have been asked about such a big tower was allowed so close to the river.

Greebo likes this.
  11. hash tag

hash tag member

Pleanty of similar buildings around town remain partially occupied and there are more coming, all the way from this Tower to Battersea Power Station is one huge building site and a good number will/have been sold off plan to overseas investors and the like. Besides, who would want to live close to the American embassy?

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

They say what goes up must come down: and the sooner it comes down the better

Greebo likes this.
  13. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Good article on cover of guardian about it today. There was a discussion on Vanessa Feltz show on BBC London about this building too.

Building mostly foreign owned, a lot of owners not resident and lots dodgy foreign company owned places too. Many owners with wealth from those 'fantasically corrupt' nations with money of dubious origin. Zero affordable or social rent places. Should never have got planning permission. Lambeth refused, but Prescot allowed it. Perfect example of why there is a housing crisis.

bromley, editor and Greebo like this.
  14. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Read all this, fascinating but depressing. Not to mention infuriating :mad:

Comes to something when Tory Kenneth Baker criticises Prescott for allowing it to happen :hmm:

ETA : The quote from Baker I meant is in this article, not in the linked one above.

Greebo likes this.
  15. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I don't know why this is news ? It got planning permission as a pvt tower and guess who bought it, it's the same story across London but more extreme because of it's unique location.

Greebo likes this.
  16. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Has Prescott got one of the flats or shares in a company that does? I smell a rat. :hmm:

17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

I would imagine Pressa can be bought far more cheaply than that.

Greebo and hash tag like this.
  18. hash tag

hash tag member

Depends on Pauline probably.

19. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I walk past this place all the time but had to check where it was. You don't really notice it when you're there, it's too big.

Greebo likes this.
  20. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Greebo likes this.
  21. hash tag

hash tag member

My Missus is always telling me just that :eek:

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Ponyutd and oryx like this.
  23. hash tag

hash tag member

Are they your pic's Ed? Did you notice the statues on the piers over the sides of Vauxhall Bridge; one of Londons hidden secrets.
    Look carefully in your second picture and you will see what I mean. FWIW I think the new flats just down the road towards the power station are uglier and higher density.

agricola likes this.
  24. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Bahnhof Strasse, hash tag and editor like this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag member

I thought I had also posted pics up years ago but can't trace them.
    Brilliant, aren't they.
    They are in need of a bit of TLC now though.

26. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I've only photographed the ones on the upstream side of the bridge. I want to go back early in the morning when the light will be better for the downstream side.

hash tag likes this.
  27. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Good article. The tower being mainly empty is absolutely scandalous. TBH Nine Elms Cold Store was probably even uglier but at least (I presume) it was being used.

I lived in Vauxhall, then down at the other end of the Wandsworth Road, in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. I go through that area a lot if travelling west. I am trying to think of any other area in South London that's changed as much.

Ponyutd and editor like this.