1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squire and Partners in Lambeth

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ricbake, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

If your refering to your previous post I commented on you said you didn't know anything about the bosses at Squires. Now ur saying you are talking from direct knowledge.

editor likes this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I talk to architects. Including local ones. My view of Squires is partly informed by them.

editor likes this.
  3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I talk from direct knowledge about the architectural profession generally, what tends to be the motivation behind what kind of work is taken on, and how much salaried architects are paid, which is a lot less than some of the bonkers numbers posted earlier in this thread. I would put money on talking more regularly to a much wider range of architects than you do. But I don't know specifically about the bosses at Squires, which is why I was careful to make that clear in my post along with the fact that my speculation about their possible motivations was based on my general knowledge of how architectural practices tend to operate. I was not assuming anything about them. I was not making "lots of assumptions" as you said. I also was not claiming the things your reply implied. Nor was I particularly disagreeing with anything you'd said previously.

4. ricbake

ricbake working out how

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

£18?!! Well, that gives a pretty clear indication about which kind of locals they're inviting in to their new chichi offices.

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was told by an outraged punter that Sam Brooks Brewery tour @ £10 was an outrage (the £10 did not include any beer).

Talking of which has anyone seen the Open House London schedule? Anything interesting actually FREE on 16/17 September?

7. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Brixton Windmill (the one with the sails) is open 16 and 17th and is free
    Added bonus is a free Harvest Festival event on the 17th too!

What's on - brixton windmill

DietCokeGirl and CH1 like this.
  8. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Alternatively, you could go to this free event at the new chichi offices.

Brixton Design Trail: ART AND SOUL

CH1 likes this.
  9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've taken over the entire PR of the event.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe you're OK with it, but I can't help feeling a bit uncomfortable with an event about gentrification being hosted in a place that represents the very essence of gentrification, especially when it's all supposed to be about love, community and diversity.

12. shakespearegirl

I don't think it does represented the essence of gentrification, it is a commercial building that has been restored and is operating as a business.

SpamMisery and T & P like this.
  13. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Brixton Pound Cafe and BCA Cafe are food partners.

T & P and shakespearegirl like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A building owned by a high end firm that caters to the architectural fancies of millionaires and billionaires.

We'll have to disagree on this one.

Incidentally, the Art and Soul talk is brought to you by the people who wanted to build a million pound crowdfunded sculpture of the Bowie ZigZag.

15. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Or if you believe the section here: The BDT team – Brixton Design Trail and click on Julia Nichols it suggests that Julia / Squire has always done the PR for it.

Just noticed 198 Gallery's Jon Daniel's also part of it too.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OK, well if that is the case, this year the press releases appear to be more heavily branded. I like the idea of the Design Trail a lot but I am feeling a disconnect between its 'community' aims and a lot of what is being presented.

17. shakespearegirl

We can agree to disagree :)

18. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Were Squire and Partners doing the design of the building etc - Did they know the budget? Is the doubling or more of the cost related to poor instruction or over ambitious specification by the architects?

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Something has clearly gone very wrong in the planning/design process, with the Council admitting, “It has become clear that the current budget is not enough to build the required education centre.”

Cost of Education Centre for Brixton Windmill more than doubles to £753,000 as Lambeth Council miscalculates price

20. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I reckon their running costs of just over £100pw to run the place sounds very optimistic, although who knows what is actually included.

£5,000 / sqm build cost for what will be a glorified shed is really quite outstanding. I suspect it has a lot to do with the type of approved list contractors the council is committed to using.

21. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

I'd like to both agree and disagree with both of you. :)

shakespearegirl likes this.
  22. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Cressingham Gardens!

23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Canova Hall opening September 23rd Ferndale Rd / Stockwell Ave

BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH, EVERY SATURDAY & SUNDAY – from 11am till 5pm
    Choose from our Bottomless Brunch Bar for £20pp over a two hour sitting.
    Mimosa's, Frizzante or Canova Rum Punch.

OPEN LATE EVERY FRIDAY & SATURDAY – Open till 1am
    Pizza to eat-in or takeaway till close.

DJ'S EVERY FRIDAY & SATURDAY – Open till 1am

SATURDAY 23RD - OPENING WEEKEND
    BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH
    - from 11am till 5pm

DJ TWIGGY
    - from 8pm till 1am

SUNDAY 24TH – OPENING WEEKEND
    BOTTOMLESS BRUNCH
    - from 11am till 5pm

DJ TWIGGY
    - from 8pm till 1am

24. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

You couldn't run a 3 bedroom semi on £100 a week. You could build the Sagrada Familia for 5 grand a square metre.

madolesance likes this.
  25. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Pizzas seem more expensive than Mamma Dough, which are more expensive than 500 Degrees.

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Why bother with £10-£20 a go when a stone's throw away you can get "one of the unhealthiest" full English breakfast options for a mere £3.59?

27. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I think you've answered your own question there :D

Angellic likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Unhealthy can still be very tasty though!

CH1 likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The days of affordable restaurants and cafes opening up in Brixton seem long gone, sadly.

30. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

Walked by today on way to the post office. The cafe they've created is (I think) really quite beautiful, I love that sort of 20s glamour the little beaded lamps and all.
    Is that going to be open to everyone when it opens ? Wasn't quite sure whether its a cafe or a workspace.