Squire and Partners in Lambeth

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ricbake, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

No one did.

Mr Retro likes this.
  2. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I beg to differ. In fact I'm rather astonished by your post because some people here staunchly defended any criticism of the firm.

cuppa tee and Gramsci like this.
  3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

This is the CGI of the proposal on the planning document:
    New Queen.jpg

Looks like a clone of Lexadon/Brewdog on the squint.

Meanwhile look what they got rid of at 45 Bellfield Road in 2006.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Pictures are on Urban75 here: The Queen, 45 Bellefields Road SW9 - lost pubs of Brixton
    Personally I'm sick of rotating developers gain wrecking my environment and annihilating local history.

The Squires proposal does nothing to reinstate the Victorian pleasure of the original pub at the opposite end of the terrace, and will no doubt irritate neighbouring residents enormously with wealthy vomiting patrons particularly on Sunday mornings.

Who wants to step over pools of vomit on the way to mass?

editor, cuppa tee and Gramsci like this.
  4. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

A lot of this thread has been about those who think Squires coming here is a good thing and those who are sceptical.

Even last couple of pages shows this. I had to stick up for a new poster who said something critical of Squires new plans.

So unless I'm going to have to have to get into argument based on analysing/ interpretating meanings of previous posts I would say that some thought Squires was a good thing. They refurbished an empty building, involved themselves in community. They have been criticised unfairly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    editor and cuppa tee like this.
  5. Gramsci

Just had a look at Cllr Ben Kind Twitter. On the right of the party. Not happy about all member meetings of Labour party in Streatham for example. Despite this giving ordinary members increased voice in local party. They are the wrong kind of new members.:rolleyes:

The New Labour Cllrs like Kind see Squires as example of the kind of entrepreneurial capitalism with added social value they so admire. Its as my old Cllr Rachel said to me the future they see for Brixton.

cuppa tee likes this.
  6. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

There’s a difference between thinking that (on balance) something is a good thing and thinking that it will be of benefit to the wider community.

Mr Retro likes this.
  7. Gramsci

So you want to get into an argument about meanings of what posters mean.

I'm not prepared to get out my grammer/dictionary books for close textual analysis.

When I say I support Squires coming here is a good thing one is jumping to conclusions if that is interpreted as meaning that its beneficial for the community. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    cuppa tee likes this.
  8. Gramsci

Sometimes I want to give up on Brixton forum.

urbanspaceman likes this.
  9. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Surely an upstanding citizen would consider benefits to the wider community first when deciding if something is a good or bad thing (on balance).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Gramsci likes this.
  10. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Post deleted

11. Gramsci

I find it distasteful to draw comparisons with Isis on this thread.

editor likes this.
  12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Apologies. Deleted

Gramsci likes this.
  13. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why it's called Canova Hall? Anything to do with the guy who created this?

[​IMG]

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Surely an even more kitsch Canova is this "neo-clasical" statue of George Washington in the Senate of North Carolina.
    450px-George_Washington_by_Antonio_Canova_-_DSC05895.jpg
    Surely nothing could be more apt for an up and coming district of hipsters and serfs?

Gramsci likes this.