Squatters get comfy in Guy Ritchie’s £6m Fitzroy Square mansion.

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Feb 17, 2011.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

[​IMG]

Tee hee. Squatters have moved into stinking rich movie maker Guy Ritchie’s enormous £6 million mansion, located in London’s upmarket Fitzroy Square.

At least 12 people are thought to have taken over the Grade I-listed house, setting up the Really Free School in protest at rising tuition fees.

I popped by last night but didn't get chance to go in. Anyone been yet?

[​IMG]

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/squatters-take-over-6m-fitzroy-square-mansion-lol/

2. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Excellent occupy :cool: :D

3. zenie

zenie >^^<

They've been served already though I think. :D

4. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Fantastic :D:cool:

5. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

bloody freeloaders

6. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Was it empty then?

7. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Is that a trick question? :hmm:

8. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

No one living in it, but builders active in it until day or two before according to the press.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

That's what they say, but I'm not entirely convinced. There doesn't seem to be any builders tools in there from the pics I've seen.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

The chair of trustees from the Fitzrovia Neighbourhood Association seems rather impressed with their new neighbours:

11. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the consensus here is that it's a correct and amusing act to take over people's houses while they have the builders in, at least in the case of Ritchie's house which is quoted above as being worth £6M. So presumably there must be some lower price limit at which it's no longer admirable to invade someone's house - does anyone know what this price is ?

12. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

I don't think anyone has said that have they?

Most people on the thread, myself included, seem to feel that they have taken over a large space which is currently not being used for any purpose and put it to some good use and purpose.

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

If the house was unused, then good for them.
    If the house was being renovated, then what a pack of ball bags that need thrashing with sticks

14. Yelkcub

Yelkcub Well-Known Member

I think everyone here is a very ready to accept it wasn't being used, as opposed to reports that it was being prepared for use. Personally, I'm sure Guy Ritchie can afford to put up with it for a while, but the question of when it's acceptable and when it isn't, is a valid one. I think I asked before and the criteria seemed fluid, to say the least.

15. editor

editor hiraethified

Guy Richie apparently owns a portfolio of luxury properties around town so he's not exactly homeless at this point, and that building has been empty since May. The Neighbourhood Association have welcomed the squat with open arms, which rather says something too. Perhaps they were fed up with such a huge space lying empty.

Have you bothered to read the squatters site?
    http://reallyfreeschool.org/?page_id=2

16. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

i heard the BBC guy on the radio talking about getting thrown out. he gave the builders line and when asked was he manhandled out he said something like they were 'posh students, don't be daft'

he did say they were all pretty committed to what they were doing and made reference to it being a satirical kind of protest against the Free Schools concept

no idea if the builders thing is true or not btw

17. editor

editor hiraethified

It's very much a political act.

18. Superdupastupor

Superdupastupor fun to funky

jesus the Fitzrovia NA is going dangerously off message :D

19. editor

editor hiraethified

The Sun has the important scoop on this:

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Today's events at the squat:
    Sure beats watching a Guy Ritchie film.

21. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

lol @ 20.30

22. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

I go through Fitzroy square everyday and been watching this unfold!

I don't think they will be there more much longer as apparently Guy Ritchie's lawyers have presented legal documents ordering them to appear in court.

23. editor

editor hiraethified

I like.

24. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

Unmissable.

25. editor

editor hiraethified

Still more fun than a Guy Ritchie film!

26. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

What, so they're squatting because we haven't built over Burgess Park with prefabs?

27. editor

editor hiraethified

I rather liked the example of the support given by the community to the Savoy squatters, and noted that it has some parallels with the way that the chair of trustees from the Fitzrovia Neighbourhood Association has publicly supported the squatters too.

I do hope that clears it up for you.

28. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

will you ever answer my pm :(

29. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

:D

I don't want to answer without giving it the attention it deserves.

Apologies. :oops:

30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I'd rather squat in Dennis Ritchie's beard than watch one more second of Guy Ritchie's Revover