Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spillers record shop, Cardiff

Clint Iguana

not an undercover cop
Spillers facing closure after landlord’s rent rise hits home

May 18 2010 by James McCarthy, South Wales Echo

LEGENDARY Spillers Records is facing closure because of rising rents.

The Cardiff institution – the oldest record store in the world – has to be out of its property at 36 The Hayes by the end of June, after being given six months by landlords Helical Bar in December.

Owner Nick Todd claimed he could not afford any rent increase while having to compete with online record sellers operating from the Channel Islands.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Beanos closed and tuned into a fancy market that cost the owner of Beanos all his beanos money. Six months on and that's closed too.

In fact I think it might have been less than that.

editor

hiraethified
FFS: that place should be listed and protected as a national asset, not find itself constantly under threat.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I know I have bought a load of records from spillers but I can't for the life of me remember which. I later took to leaving the price stickers on.

Clint Iguana

not an undercover cop
on spillers website

Spillers Records has been featured in a few newspapers recently, and there has been a lot of ‘gossip’ on facebook and twitter about us too. We would just like our customers to know that our situation may not be as dramatic as some people are making out. It is true however, that we will be leaving our current premises by the end of June 2010. We would also like to point out that we do not blame our landlords for the situation we are in, and are in fact grateful for all their help in finding us a temporary home until we find a new one.

Spillers Records do have a facebook account, and it’s great to get positive feedback from you guys. There have been a few accounts set up under the name ‘save spillers’, and the like, and we’d like to stress that they are not directed by us at all, and we have not set up a petition against our landlords.
Thanks to you all for the support - and keep a look out for news on where we move to!

SPILLERS AM BYTH!

ddraig

dros ben llestri
it is also the 'oldest record shop in the world' and a very very very important part of Cardiff however small
surely that makes it more than just a business?

i know where you are coming from but can't you see it is more than?
have you ever been in or bought anything there? or you just go HMV/Virgin/Tescos for your music? ;)

Gromit

International Man of Misery
it is also the 'oldest record shop in the world' and a very very very important part of Cardiff however small
surely that makes it more than just a business?

i know where you are coming from but can't you see it is more than?
have you ever been in or bought anything there? or you just go HMV/Virgin/Tescos for your music? ;)
I've bought music from there but if I'm to be honest its been so long that I couldn't say how long its been.

I buy 99% of my music online now. I did buy an albulm from a duty free shop last holiday but otherwise online.

beat23

natposat
ffs, if you want to save spillers buy some fucking records there. I don't cos I can't afford much and don't really buy much music anymore, but at least I'm honest. therefore I never joined a 'save spillers' group or signed a petition. While you're at it support other local shops too before they *imminently* disappear and get your food from Pulse Wholefoods or hungry planet instead of going to tesco/asda/sainsburys/john lewis/waitrose etc. Sorry this stuff just gets me angry, you can't argue if you don't buy shit in these places.

beat23

natposat
I'm just being honest, I haven't bought music for ages, and when I did spend hundreds a month on vinyl I didn't live in Cardiff, just winds me up when people moan about stuff when really it's about spending your money there, hence why I'm not personally moaning about spillers closing, just proposing the (obvious) solution.

b23

Infidel Castro

Producto Falso
As long as Spillers is moving into the arcade next door, it ain't closing. Therefore, let's just look at it as an evolution in its history. It seems to me that the city would be better served with a thriving, independent arcade scene anyway, so get it in there with the Clarks Pie shop, a Brains shop, a Grogg shop, a shop that sells leeks and shit and let's get on with it. It's not closing, it's just moving. That's not too bad.

And i stole the idea of having a special interest Welsh area from 1927 and one of his drunkin oratories in the local. A class idea.

Clint Iguana

not an undercover cop
ffs, if you want to save spillers buy some fucking records there. I don't cos I can't afford much and don't really buy much music anymore, but at least I'm honest. therefore I never joined a 'save spillers' group or signed a petition. While you're at it support other local shops too before they *imminently* disappear and get your food from Pulse Wholefoods or hungry planet instead of going to tesco/asda/sainsburys/john lewis/waitrose etc. Sorry this stuff just gets me angry, you can't argue if you don't buy shit in these places.
As the OP i suppose i should stand up and say .... I buy music from there quite regulalry. 0:)

Clint Iguana

not an undercover cop
I'm just being honest, I haven't bought music for ages, and when I did spend hundreds a month on vinyl I didn't live in Cardiff, just winds me up when people moan about stuff when really it's about spending your money there, hence why I'm not personally moaning about spillers closing, just proposing the (obvious) solution.

b23
I think it goes a bit deeper than that. Spillers is more than just a shop, it is a focal point for the local music scene. Unlike HMV they sell cds by local bands, sell local fanzines, put on local bands instore, they stock stuff the big chains would never entertain, people get to network in there - find out what is going on, learn stuff from the staff, form bands in there! - and so on. A slightly rose tinted romantic picture perhaps, but there is truth in there somewhere.

Whilst the local music scene will survive the loss of Spillers, it will be poorer for it.

OK - we are not losing it totally, but moving to another temp location does not sound good to me.

While we are at it, the Hayes will loose the last bit of character that separates it from being the same as any other chainstreet clone. I used to like going to Cardiff but with the exception of the old arcades the whole place leaves me cold now - might as well go to an out of town shopping centre or use the net.

Infidel Castro

Producto Falso
Clint, they ain't closing! They're just moving, supposedly. Fear not. Nothing will come to harm, as the shop will still be operating.

zog

wants to be an aardvark
While you're at it support other local shops too before they *imminently* disappear and get your food from Pulse Wholefoods .
I've heard they're just like tesco's...... but smaller and you don't get clubcard points.:p

and their meat tastes a bit funny.:hmm:

Funnier than he thinks he is.
As long as Spillers is moving into the arcade next door, it ain't closing. Therefore, let's just look at it as an evolution in its history. It seems to me that the city would be better served with a thriving, independent arcade scene anyway, so get it in there with the Clarks Pie shop, a Brains shop, a Grogg shop, a shop that sells leeks and shit and let's get on with it. It's not closing, it's just moving. That's not too bad.

And i stole the idea of having a special interest Welsh area from 1927 and one of his drunkin oratories in the local. A class idea.
I must have been drunk because I have absolutely no recollection of that particular brainwave at all!!:hmm:

Infidel Castro

Producto Falso
The more I read of it, the more pig-headed Nick Todd sounds. He could have moved ages ago. He's bringing down a lot of shit on his own head.

ddraig

dros ben llestri
shutting at 5.45 TODAY!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/06/26/60-years-of-history-ends-at-spillers-91466-26729334/

WoL said:
The 60-year-old believes it has survived the internet age because his customers “like the record shop experience”.
The CD and vinyl stands have been scoured by Hollywood actress Chloe Sevigny, former Doctor Who Christopher Eccleston, Never Mind the Buzzcocks panellist Phill Jupitus, folk-rocking politico Billy Bragg, US punk legend Henry Rollins, friends of the store Manic Street Preachers, Nirvana inspiration Daniel Johnston and hellraising actor Rhys Ifans – with his 10-piece band Y Peth in tow.

Nick thinks he knows why: “What it has got is called a soul. There is a soul to that shop. “And we have got no worries about transferring it to the new shop.“I realised this morning I am glad we are leaving 36 The Hayes.
“It’s not what we are about any more, that is my opinion.
“Apart from Gio’s and the newsagent, every business is a chain here in The Hayes. It is a corporate boulevard now.
“I’m not knocking it, it is what it is. But The Hayes has outgrown us.”
Nick’s daughter Ashli, who will take over the running of the shop when it reopens at 31 the Morgan Arcade, agreed.
The 27-year-old said: “The Hayes has changed around us into the new Queen Street.
“And we have not changed into a high street shop.
“The two don’t go together and that is reflected in the rent.