Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I saw Becca Thackeray (HH greens) out with two community safety officers and a speed camera on Railton Road about 5.30 this afternoon. Opposite the junction with Leeson.

2. bimble

bimble noisy but small

3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

I suspect it's a bit pointless to blame the roads, and not the car drivers using them...

4. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Redesign of junctions usually means redesigning them so that drivers can't drive at dangerous speeds. In fact in the link provided by bimble it suggests that the way to 'redesign' Oxford St is to pedestrianize it.

5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's not unusual for junction redesigns - to make them safer - to be met with 'war on the motorist' complaints when people find they can't go as fast, or have to stop at traffic lights that weren't previously there, and so on.

6. editor

editor Forked with electrons

The junction - and traffic lights - between Coldharbour Lane and Gresham Road (outside Barrier Block) seems to cause lots of problems for some drivers.

7. teuchter

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 15.53.30.jpg

Today. Car going too fast and not looking properly coming out of the junction. This happens regularly here. Luckily it only hit the lorry's fuel tank and not a cyclist or someone trying to cross the road.

This along with Padfield rd is part of a popular cut-through route between Coldharbour Lane and Milkwood Rd avoiding the traffic lights on CHL. This is why a closure on Padfield Rd was included in the attempt at traffic calming in LJ. It got shouted down with all the rest of them. Lambeth abandoned it even though it wasn't part of the most controversial measure and it didn't close off any routes, just would have made people use the traffic light controlled junctions instead.

Gramsci, snowy_again and ricbake like this.
  8. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The generous pavement radius doesn't help. All the other roads along there have sharp corners, which discourage fast turns.

9. teuchter

True. That's a good point.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Ive heard some people living near Padfield road have approached local Cllr to have it reinstated.

11. teuchter

Barely three days passed and yet another one at that same junction, late last night. These particular idiots didn't even need another car to crash into; they simply took the corner way too fast and crashed into the curb. They were laughing about it too; speeding around at night is just a fun game if you know no-one's going to do anything about it.

12. teuchter

I'm not registered to view but if anyone who is, fancies C&P-ing the article please do so.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f46e4cd2-c294-11e8-b39e-4a881a3e11

13. teuchter

14. Winot

Driving without insurance, failed to clear windscreen so couldn’t see, hit pedestrian on zebra crossing and killed her. Prosecuted for ‘careless’ rather than ‘dangerous’ driving so only 10 months in prison.

Man who killed doctor by careless driving jailed

15. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Should be manslaughter :mad:

16. Winot

Agreed but the problem is getting juries to convict. And if they won’t convict for dangerous driving then they aren’t going to for manslaughter.

17. teuchter

Unbelievable that you can kill someone, and not only get such a short sentence but be allowed to drive again.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

it's unbelievable that after decades of short laughable sentences being handed down for killing someone while driving that anyone's surprised when such sentences are handed out

19. Winot

Yep Chris Boardman was saying on Twitter that with the proposal to do away with short prison sentences the state should be banning more drivers for life. I agree.

20. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Never stops people from driving without a licence though does it?

21. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Team Top Gear will be in shortly to take the piss.

a_chap, teuchter and Winot like this.
  22. Winot

True, but the proposal was that that should carry a prison sentence.

It's all academic really. The authorities haven't got the balls to face down the motorist culture.

BigTom and snowy_again like this.
  23. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Definitely but the CPS are also at fault here for not trying to prosecute dangerous driving charges. They've created a feedback loop whereby the difficulty of getting juries to convict dangerous driving charges (where the driving falls "far below" the standard that is to be expected, rather than "below" the standard in careless driving charges) means very few dangerous driving charges and CPS setting their own precedents - next time something similar comes up the CPS solicitor will see that previously it's been charged as careless and go with that.

West Mids Police have been calling for the wording of the laws to be changed for a couple of years at least now, because juries see someone driving badly and think "I can drive like that sometimes" and so don't consider the standard of driving to be below what they expect (the one that springs to mind here is the one where a van driver drove onto a pavement to park and killed a 4 year old girl riding a scooter on the pavement and was cleared by a jury who presumably felt that since they often park on pavements, they could see themselves doing this so the van driver wasn't driving below their standard of driving, despite it being against the law to drive onto a pavement).
    Unfortunately DfT decided to go for a review of cycling laws rather than driving laws so we won't see any reform here anytime soon.

teuchter and Winot like this.
  24. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

What’s needed:

Anyone who kills someone with a car is on a manslaughter charge.
    Drink driving conviction means loss of license for life as well as prison sentence.
    12 points limit reduced to 9, and that’s for life. Once you lose your license that’s it. No second chance.
    Get caught driving without a license and face minimum of 5 years in prison.

Driving isn’t a right, it should be a hard kept privilege. If someone loses their job/livelihood because they’re reliant on a vehicle but can’t drive safely then fuck them.

spanglechick, alex_, BigTom and 2 others like this.
  25. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

More or less, but deaths aside, a convicton for careless driving should be a year's ban, and it should be made clear the first time that the second time will be for life. Dangerous driving, no second chance, you're on the bus for ever. At the very least you've got to take lessons and the whole test (inc. theory) again.

Driving without a licence, one finger off per conviction. Probably got about six chances before you realistically can't drive any more anyway :thumbs:

26. teuchter

Latest idiocy in Loughborough Junction. I hope no-one was hurt. (Courtesy of xsunnysuex )

[​IMG]

27. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

When I first went passed ambulance, police and fire service were all there. No idea if anyone was hurt.

28. Cold Harbour

Cold Harbour Well-Known Member

The temporary lights along CHL seem to have enraged some drivers, who speed up after them, although there are permanent lights just up the road. To be honest even the pedestrian crossings along there are hairy sometimes...you can never just trust a green man.

teuchter likes this.
  29. teuchter

What time was that - did this happen in daylight or was it last night?

30. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

This morning around 10am ish.

teuchter likes this.