Speeding and general dangerous driving in and around Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Aug 30, 2017.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

There are plenty of adverts that show a 'sense of speed'.

There are also plenty of adverts that show cars doing wheelspins and suchlike, even if they might be careful to show it in environments that are not the public road.

Maybe car adverts should be allowed to show people having lots of fun, but with a health warning at the end, like you get on fag packets. Photos of crashes, injured cyclists, etc.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. teuchter

I've seen this kind of thing too.

3. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Have you got an example?

4. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

There are also plenty of car adverts that emphasise safety features, or simply concentrate on practical stuff such as comfort, boot space or fuel economy.

But it is also true that the odd car advert can focus on the performance side of things. This effort by Audi is so OTT it feels like a deliberate wind-up :D

5. mauvais

It was a while back now but I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate joke at the ASA's expense. Various Audi adverts were banned before & after.

T & P likes this.
  6. teuchter

or this one at 0.10

7. mauvais

Well, the good news for you is if you and you alone complain about them, they'll probably get banned.

8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Last time I was at the Peckhamplex saw plenty of adverts for cars. Maybe cinemas is one place they can be shown. My partner remarked on it They emphasis "freedom" of having a car.

Its not just adverts. Its film like the Fast and Furious series for example. Having a car is a status symbol. Its ingrained in popular culture.

An anecdote. I was queuing in Superdrug in Brixton a while ago. The young women in front of me was on her mobile. She and friend were rating men on the kind of car they had. She then told her friend she wanted to buy a white BMW. Ending conversation saying she had to ring her mum to to say she would be back late as they were clubbing.

Cars are seen as sexy and are status symbols. So is speed. I don't think it can be denied that adverts feed into this.

Bit of a tangent but excellent program on buses today on radio. Comparing London ( good and still regulated by democratically controlled TFL) and abysmal outside London ( capitalist business run buses). Privatisation was brought in by Thatcher. Who famously regareded bus users as losers.

The program implies that only way to move away from car culture is good public transport.

In other parts of country there is transport debt. Only way to gain employment is owning a car one can't really afford. No car no job. As public transport is now post Thatcher minimal.

Transport is a class issue. Capitalism in one instance loves getting into new markets with privatisation.

The other instance is capitalism that relies on planned affordable transport for its workers. London would not function without it. London has TFL which regulates transport.

Programme here. Well worth a listen

BBC Radio 4 - Mind the Gap: Britain's Transport Divide, Buses

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    mojo pixy likes this.
  9. teuchter

I've previously proposed nationalising all cars. Didn't seem too popular on urban75, where the idea that people shouldn't have the right to play with privately owned toys on public roads was too radical for just about everyone. Why's there so little discussion generally about ownership models for cars compared to railways or buses? I have my theories.

Gramsci likes this.
  10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

11. grosun

grosun wicket tunes

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Bicycle Collision

The url should really say 'cyclist injured by car driver performing illegal turn'.

13. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Well it wasn't a car driver was it.

And I'm not sure her version is entirely accurate. What's this "illegal left" ? There isn't one. If the truck came under the bridge and turned left onto Milkwood, that's not illegal. If he'd come down Herne Hill and turned left, that's not illegal. If he'd come down HML and turned left to go under the bridge, that's not illegal, and if he was on Milkwood turning left, that's not illegal and she shouldn't have been inside him. :confused:

14. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

You can't turn left from milkwood, only right.

15. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Ah. Ok.

16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's a few fails in this post, starting with pointless vehicle pedantry, then swiftly moves into a lack of understanding of the junction and associated victim blaming, rounded off nicely with a lack of knowledge of the Highway Code! But hey, it's only Monday morning!

nemoanonemo, teuchter and a_chap like this.
  17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Except none of that is correct except with regards to the left turn out of Milkwood. :)

snowy_again likes this.
  18. teuchter

Pretty sure it's all correct.

19. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Impossible.