SpaceX rockets and launches

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by rover07, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

That should buff out, right?

:(

Signal 11 likes this.
  2. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

3. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

Blast off in just over 10 minutes.

4. Limejuice

A bit more detail about the mishap. Perhaps they should have used a new capsule. The re-used one looked like it'd been well pounded.

5. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

That's an old broadcast, not live

6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

oh...I thought 5pm was weird.

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

8. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

FCC approves SpaceX’s plans to fly internet-beaming satellites in a lower orbit

Couple of points here, this will be a manifest that will likely give them the kind of launch cadence they have sought to justify the refurbishment (and hopes to move to reusable) launch vehicles.
    This could be a major threat to the likes of Intelsat, Inmarsat etc.
    Is there a big enough market for this service though?
    And this could be politically explosive if a covert dish is all you need to get through great firewalls and so on.

9. Crispy

It will have a lower latency between NYC and LDN than an undersea cable (light moves faster in vacuum than it does in glass). The high speed trading market alone is huge $$$. The general market for internet backhaul is gigantic; if Starlink is competitively priced, it should pick up a big slice of that market too. And then there's all the places in the world with a thirst for data but no cables. A village in the middle of nowhere can now be just as connected as a major city. I suspect the cost of a terminal will be too high for direct-to-consumer services for quite a while.

I also suspect the cost of doing business in China, say, is that all Starlink terminals sold in that market have a backdoor that reports back to the government. The potential profits of serving that market will be far more persuasive than any noble efforts to bring free media to the masses.

UnderAnOpenSky and Limejuice like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

Another success: Used SpaceX Rocket Launches 3 Radarsat Satellites, Aces Foggy Landing

weltweit likes this.
  11. Crispy

This photo tickled me :) Stainless steel Starship prototype being polished.
    starship polishing.jpg

a_chap and editor like this.
  12. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

I bet that Pride umbrella's pissing off a few politicians :D

"Eurgh, there's gay all over our spaceship"

13. Crispy

Falcon heavy night launch in 25m

a_chap and Limejuice like this.
  14. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Nauseating USAF / DoD advert playing at the mo' :( :mad:

Limejuice likes this.
  15. Limejuice

Pure hornswoggle, wasn't it?

a_chap likes this.
  16. a_chap

Damn, the centre core failed to land. Damn close though.

17. Limejuice

It makes me wonder what that drone ship is made of. They keep dropping (in effect) missiles onto the deck, and the damn thing keeps floating. Perhaps that's what the USAF is testing...

:hmm:

18. a_chap

Good grief!

:eek:

weltweit and Limejuice like this.
  19. Crispy

Looked to me like they braked too hard. The plume was dead centre on the deck, and then it skewed hard over and the rocket flew away to crash. It's supposed to carefully time the burn such that zero velocity and zero altitude line up. Here's me from 5 years ago so I don't have to type it twice:

That last graph shows what I think happened. This was such a high-velocity landing that the margin for error was very very small.

20. Crispy

All 42 (I think? A shit load, anyway) payloads succesfully deployed, in 4 different orbits. By far the most complex mission they've ever done. Oh, and they caught a fairing half in the net! (on the left)

[​IMG]

21. HAL9000

HAL9000 Lasting Damage

[​IMG]

Where I thought spaceX was particularly bad, was the amount of secrecy. Especially since this was a safety system for human crew.

Have to see if they stick to this policy.

Leaky component led to SpaceX explosion

Limejuice likes this.
  22. Crispy

The criticism was not of secrecy with regards to NASA, but with regards to the public. There were NASA officials in the control room when the explosion happened, and the investigation was a joint endeavour from the start. Note that Boeing also had an "anomoly" with their Starliner capsule recently but we didn't hear anything about that in a press conference.

editor likes this.
  23. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

A dragon capsule to be launched for the third time to the ISS, one of the experiments it carries is to try to grow organs in microgravity.

Experiment Details

It is very early stages but it is pretty interesting research.

editor likes this.
  24. Crispy

Also, fingers crossed, the Starhopper will fly shortly after

editor likes this.
  25. Crispy

If the launch goes off well tonight, there's a very good chance to see Dragon fly over in the UK, seeing as there's not a cloud in the sky. The ISS will go almost directly overhead from West to East at about 23:32 , followed by Dragon about 10 minutes later.

EDIT: The 21:58 pass of ISS was very clear. Should be able to see Dragon with no problem :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    a_chap likes this.
  26. a_chap

Dragon launch scrubbed :(

Next launch window is tomorrow 10:01pm UTC

27. editor

editor hiraethified

28. MikeMcc

MikeMcc Well-Known Member

It's also the first vehicle to fly with a Full-Flow Staged Comustion Cycle engine. The US and Russia developed and ran prototypes but never flew with them.

editor likes this.
  29. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

What is that and how does it work?

30. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

If only there was some way of interconnecting a global network of information stores, and - oh, I don't know - in some way indexing them, so that it was possible to type, say, "Staged combustion cycle engine" into a web page, and find some answers...LMGTFY