1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern Rail - wtf's wrong with them

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Right, think I'm going to give that a go. Bus looks like it's only a few stops so just need to look on map to figure out where bus stop is.

Thanks colacubes

Greebo and colacubes like this.
  2. Minnie_the_Minx

Right, so I walk up to end of St John's Road and turn which way for 197 or 176 and which side of the road do I need. Google maps now pissing me about.

Think I need to shut laptop down in a minute as overheating

3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I was waiting at Gypsy Hill for a Southern Train last week and they changed the time the next train was coming SEVEN times without announcement.

4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

That I do not know I'm afraid but there will probably be a map in the station when you get there.

Minnie_the_Minx and Greebo like this.
  5. Minnie_the_Minx

hope so, and now condensate pipe in kitchen has started leaking and I have to go and deal with that :rolleyes:

6. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

There's a direct train from Streatham Hill to Sydenham - it's the London Bridge one, takes 22 mins. Failing that train to Streatham Hill to Crystal Palace and then Train or Overland to Sydenham

7. Minnie_the_Minx

I know, and it's been fucked. Yesterday when I looked just before I left the house, there was no disruption. Got to Streatham Hill station, and a few minutes before trains supposed arrival, it came up delayed, and delayed and delayed and delayed again, and ended up being 16 minutes late. The day before that, (or it may have been day before), there was already a train at the station. I asked someone on train if it was going to sSydenham or Crystal Palace and they said it was going to Crystal Palace but not sure about Sydenham. I got off the train and saw driver walking down and asked if it train was going to Crystal Palace or Sydenham and he asked me what train I wanted. I said the 10.41 (or whatever time it was). He confirmed that this was indeed the train. I ended up in Norwood Junction. It didn't go to Sydenham at all :mad:

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Yesterday I got the one to Crystal Palace (as that's the one that was coming first), so I intended getting off at Crystal Palace and getting Overland train. This was the train that was running late, so I had 2 minutes to get off train (and typically I was at far end) to go charging over to platform 5. Luckily the driver saw me charging down the stairs and held the train a few seconds

Greebo likes this.
  9. ohmyliver

Southern Rail's service is so bad that even the free market hedgefundamentalists of City AM cheered on the news that it's London services will be taken over by TFL. The cancelling of trains due to lack of drivers is especially facepalm.

I used to regularly take that line to go to work, and change for the overland at Crystal Palace. It's woeful. But it's 1 min from my daughter's nursery.

10. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

That's not a Southern route, it's Southeastern.

Nope. It's Southeastern.

Why is that going to make any difference when most of the problems are either caused by track/signalling problems, or simply by congestion.

11. colacubes

Congratulations. You receive 1000 pedantry points :cool:

12. ohmyliver

Track/signalling/congestion problems are the cause of a lack of a driver (which was a common reason for cancelling Southern trains from London Bridge going via Tulse Hill? Well I never would have guessed that.

Greebo likes this.
  13. TruXta

TruXta tired

When on the high street cross the road and go up hill to the Homebase, all the buses going north stop there.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Bungle73

How is it "pedantry"? They are two entirely separate companies.
    I'm not sure if you're having a laugh or what? That is ONE line. And as matter of fact the answer is YES. How do you think drivers get to where they need to be? On the train like everyone else. And like everyone they can be affected by disruption too, yet people seem to expect them to appear out of thin air, whatever else is going on.

15. colacubes

Jesus :D :facepalm:

marty21 and Greebo like this.
  16. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

This reminds me I forgot to measure the step off the train at WeNo the other day. It was high!

Greebo, neonwilderness and colacubes like this.
  17. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

You should have taken a photo (being careful not to misuse the lens hood)

Greebo and 5t3IIa like this.
  18. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

I was bunking the train so kind of in a hurry.

marty21, Greebo, BoatieBird and 2 others like this.
  19. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

You monster :eek:

marty21 and 5t3IIa like this.
  20. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

He's right though. Disruption can mean that drivers don't get to their train in time.

He's also right to point out that if people are going on about Southern being particularly bad as an operator, then it doesn't make sense to start including services run by another operator.

I've no reason to defend either company in particular but most of this disruption is really caused by limitations in the infrastructure, which remains regardless of the operator. The infrastructure is owned and managed by Network Rail.

sealion, 5t3IIa and Bungle73 like this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

the bastards :mad:

Greebo likes this.
  22. colacubes

Do you know what he might well be. But as it happens I didn't even notice that Minnie had written the wrong operator, and neither do I really care tbh. I was merely trying to help her complete her journey more successfully. And hopefully that has happened.

23. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

True enough, to many trains into London, not enough track and far to many bottlenecks.

Chronic underfunding is a fucking bitch and the less you invest the more you have to invest later and its been going on for far to fucking long.

24. ohmyliver

well, yes, on reflection, see that conical hat with a D on it, that's mine that is.

Artaxerxes likes this.
  25. Minnie_the_Minx

Cheers, may give it a try. Ended up getting a taxi there and back today

26. TruXta

TruXta tired

Where in Sydenham are you going? Right outside the southbound exit at Penge East you can get the 75 to kirkdale and go down the high street.

27. ohmyliver

Actually I'm at Streatham Hill station now and the trains are shown as Southern trains not South Eastern, so nerr.

Greebo likes this.
  28. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

They also run Thameslink through Streatham & Tooting which is also absolute balls at the best of times.

Greebo likes this.
  29. Bungle73

Who mentioned anything about Streatham Hill? Not me. :confused:

30. Minnie_the_Minx

That would probably make sense if I knew which way was uphill :oops:

Have wandered on google maps and can't see Homebase anywhere near St John's Road. Do I turn left or right at the top of St John's Road? Sorry to be a pain :D

I can see one of the transmitter towers if I go right, so I'm guessing it's that way. Sorry, but I have absolutely no sense of direction