1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern Rail - wtf's wrong with them

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Twice last week trains were cancelled and I had to fork out £15 last Tuesday on a train to Sydenham.

Now they're fucked up again.

There's no easy way of getting to Sydenham from Brixton Hill or Streatham Hill, unless someone can suggest a way?

2. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

Would a p13 to near almost horniman- Lordship lane is it? And then a connecting bus work?

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Not sure.

I'm currently looking at getting a No. 3 to Crystal Palace and would have to work it out from there. I need 176 or 197 bus connection

4. wtfftw

wtfftw Well-Known Member

P13 connects with 176.

Or the 3 connects with the 122(?) which would join the 176. But I suspect that's less efficient.

5. BigMoaner

BigMoaner Don't kill the lion

at thornton heath people look in disbelief and go white with shock when a train is on time.

Minnie_the_Minx likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I've waited for three trains in a row at Thornton Heath and every single one was cancelled. No announcements. No help from station staff. Ended up getting a bus after waiting over an hour for three promised trains.

7. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

[​IMG]

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Ended up getting bus down to Brixton, No. 3 to Crystal Palace bus station, 227 from Crystal Palace to Thicket Road and then 176 from Thicket Road.

Didn't have time to look for anything else.

Was tempted to go to Camberwell where you can get a bus direct but seems like such a pain going so far back to go forward

Will look at the P13 once I figure out where that goes from

9. Minnie_the_Minx

Have just been on to London Transport after I noticed my Oyster was getting low and that I'd been double charged for exiting Streatham Hill last week after waiting for the 12.05 that never showed up. £10.50 they charged me for entering and exting that station without even getting a train :mad:

10. Minnie_the_Minx

Where does the P13 connect with the 176 please (for future reference)?

11. Minnie_the_Minx

ah, it looks like they may link up at East Dulwich Station

wtfftw likes this.
  12. Minnie_the_Minx

Shortage of drivers again today.

13. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

I had same problem on Sunday- North Dulwich to Peckham Rye. Dot matrix board said train was due.. I waited and waited. Nothing. In the end I went back home, despite having touched in and then having to touch out at the same station, wasting a train fare.

No announcements at all.

14. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Are you aware you can get a train to Sydenham Hill or Penge directly from Brixton?

ohmyliver and Maggot like this.
  15. stdP

stdP I never learn.

Theories:
    Southern Rail have switched to metric time (minutes are 100 seconds, hours are 100 minutes)
    Southern Rail is actually a performance art installation piece
    Southern Rail is a heritage railway run by volunteers using Ye Olde Rollinge Stocke that's incompatible with station boards, announcements, or signals and any similarities of the running of its trains to actual timetabled services is clearly accidental
    Southern Rail is an anthropological study in the vein of the Milgram experiment

bromley likes this.
  16. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

My recent experience of touching in and out again in similar cicumstances at Loughborough Junction is that the Oyster people can see that no journey was made and sort it out to refund the money taken automatically (admittedly this wasnt at stations or lines run by Southern but I dont see why Southern would be different)

17. teuchter

Yes - you can phone them up and they will sort it. Also, if you have a registered account, you can generally do it yourself online by logging in.

18. tommers

tommers Yourdisco needs you

The Oyster refund line is your friend. Number is on the back of the card or you can see it at tfl website. (do the upgrade Oyster card section).

Of you ever get charged for something you don't agree with then call explain and they'll refund. I do it about once a month.

19. se5

se5 Well-Known Member

My experience was that that when I logged into my account the next day to start the reclaim process the refund had already been made which I thought was quite impressive (but there was only about 10 minutes between touching in and touching out so it seems their systems are clever enough to realise that it wasnt just a failure to touch out at the other end)

20. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

Now you tell me

21. chillum86

chillum86 Well-Known Member

Southern are so unreliable that I've actually given up using them to commute from Streatham. I now go to work vis brixton, even tho it takes me longer, at least i know i can arrive when i'm supposed to.

22. keithy

keithy or queefy

Sydenham Hill station is walking distance from 3 bus route if you get off on that hill from gipsy hill roundabout to crystal palace. Not sure of exact stop.

23. keithy

keithy or queefy

But yeah, Southern are shite. If they announced cancellations it would help but nope.

24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Southern are my local train provider.

They are literally useless.

25. teuchter

I take it you literally never use them.

26. Minnie_the_Minx

So I'm getting pissed off with Southern, have already got taxis home twice in the last few days (£12 and £13.50).

Brixton train goes to Sydenham Hill (not Sydenham which is much better for me), but brain not working to figure out journey from Sydenham Hill as TFL journey planner seems to be hanging for me.

27. Minnie_the_Minx

I can't seem to see any bus stops on google maps close to Sydenham Hill

28. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there are any that close to Sydenham Hill from memory.

Have you tried City Mapper instead of TFL. It's a much better website than TFL for journey planning and it's all live re bus times etc:

https://citymapper.com/london/

I just plugged in Brixton to Sydenham and it reckons you're better off going to Penge East and getting a bus.

Greebo likes this.
  29. Minnie_the_Minx

Not tried Penge East yet, always went for Sydenham as it seems slightly nearer. Is Penge East operated by Southern?

30. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yep - it's on the same line from Brixton, just one stop further than Sydenham Hill.

Greebo and Minnie_the_Minx like this.