1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Wales Metro System - ambitious plans detailed

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by editor, Feb 18, 2014.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The old station looked about a million times better, but at least Queen Street is finally getting more facilities and space.

ddraig likes this.
  2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

more Rail ambition
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/full-steam-ahead-group-hoping-8381309

e2a not for trains tho :oops:
    bikes etc

3. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Of course the new Queen St is now well up and running - any observations from the local users ? - and there is a memorial bench to the excellent and much missed Tom Clift on one of the platforms (Tom was Valley Lines MD in tricky times and apart from being a good and much treasured friend , an excellent Welsh railwayman. To me , one of the best accolades anyone could get)

Greebo likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll post up some photos later. The new platform looks well crap though.

5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Thanks - but investment is good - plan a recce for the Monday after March 1st - hope to visit Mr Brains' emporium .....

muscovyduck likes this.
  6. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Greebo and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A "vibrant" capital region, eh?

8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

it'll be edgy before ya knows it!

Greebo likes this.
  9. jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk ...just kids gone wild.

Too many buses, not enough trains and no circle line, everything is funnelled towards Cardiff city centre. The concept of the city region is being stretched in a way that looks more like a power struggle with the welsh government than anything else. Bridgend, abergavenny, chepstow, maestag et al are only in this to make it sound more impressive in size and scope than it is. If cardiff is going to grow as predicted than they need to sort out the infrastructure in cardiff and the immediate area, not drawing petty empires on paper so phil bale can strut around on a bigger stage.

10. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Someone wants a London transport like map and is trying desperately to join the dots with coloured lines

muscovyduck, Greebo, teqniq and 2 others like this.
  11. quiet guy

quiet guy Bimbling along

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

the Simpsons come to mind!
    Monorail
    2,500 passengers an hour! let's be realistic, they would struggle to get that in a day

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  13. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

that brown line along the top would be interesting in the winter

14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

15. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Just avoid London's mistake of putting either end in places no one wants to go to :thumbs :

16. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

No problem - Dowlais Top in winter - a cinch compared to Braemar ......(our railway ancestors managed in 1947 for example - albeit with jet engines mounted on flat cars to break / blast the ice) :D

Greebo and editor like this.
  17. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Theres going to be some major cuts in the rail improvement programme..,.. The Paddington Swansea electrification looks safe ....,but I hope the valleys coastal upgrade doesn't get...re imagined ?
    The northern upgrades look fucked...!

Greebo likes this.
  18. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Valleys depends on WAG - so canvass them .....devolution on the way.Transport wise ....Swansea has some wires up already , In the spendidly named Maliphant Sidings - so should be safe.

(as you can imagine - I have had some input ......my swansong in some respects - I am still offering beers all round for the 1st electric service train in to the city....

Greebo and ddraig like this.
  19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Greebo likes this.
  20. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Will there be a plaque recording the site of the (in) famous Asti's Cafe...?

21. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Well with Chris Gibb (ex MD of Wales and West) , and local boy Andrew Haines (ex MD of South West Trains) as advisors - some real focus going into this. :thumbs:

22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33314634

23. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

davesgcr and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wish it would reopen as a railway line though...

ddraig likes this.
  26. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Agreed - but if opened as a walking route - I will bring along my old dad's miners lamp to guide the way. (not much use really but he would have approved) - a future outing I hope.

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Update on metro, of sorts

How a small village on Cardiff's outskirts could be at heart of the Metro

28. planetgeli

planetgeli Well-Known Member

ddraig likes this.